Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Automatically Shutting Off

iPod Automatically Shutting Off
iMan
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 12:51 AM

I Have a 3rd Generation 30 GB iPod.

When I use mine the damn thing turns off about evey ten minutes on its own. The battery isn't low. I haven't dropped. I don't know what's wrong with it. In the iPod Update software I have restored it; that doesn't work.

I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2004, 11:13 PM

I've got the same damn problem. It's very intermittent, but very annoying. Let's keep each other apprised of any solutions we might find.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 02:46 AM

You are not alone.

That thread was from late March and I've still found no solution.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 05:14 AM

download the newest Apple iPod updater (mac or windows) and click the restore function. This will erase your ipod and put new software on it. most problems are caused by currupted software.

iMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by chipchen:
download the newest Apple iPod updater (mac or windows) and click the restore function. This will erase your ipod and put new software on it. most problems are caused by currupted software.

I have downloaded the most frequent updater and restored it. I keep on having the same problem. I am using Mac. Specs are in my signature.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

NaMCo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 10:23 PM

Hi,
This is my first post but i've been reading aroudn these forums for a while. Firstly i think this is the best MAC forum around =)

Im from Melbourne, Australia and been a PC user for 10years but just purchased an ibook G4 and lovin it. Oh... and also a 3rd Gen 15Gb iPod

Anyways on with ur iPod problem...

My iPod after about 11months of use decided it would randomly reset or turn off wenever it wanted to. Like every 5-10mins. And it would also say that the battery was running low when ive fully recharged it. I tried updating it on the PC and the MAC to no avail.

So... i went to the Apple Centre that i purchased it from and they gave me a replacement
But that replacement turned out to have a HDD problem which made really high pitched sounds and couldnt upload more than 2 songs at a time or it would just lock up. I went back to get that replaced too. And for now this ipod seems to be fine...

So maybe take it back to your store and try get it replaced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules