Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New things I've found in Tiger

New things I've found in Tiger (Page 2)
zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:10 PM

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
That already exists under Panther, actually, although it's only copy-paste (no cut).
Heh, well I'll be damned . But I really want cut-paste. Maybe this is an option in Tiger with normal files (cut-paste). I can understand that Apple would disallow a cut-paste on the Applications folder. If you catch my drift..

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:21 PM

Whats the feeling of overall system response? (Notice i did not use the word snappy?)

tRr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 01:25 PM

Playing with Automator

From within Automator you can save as an Application or as a workflow- can't see any way to get access to AppleScript as a previous poster asked... If you save it as a workflow if you then move that file to /Library/Scripts/Applications/Finder/ then it shows up under the contextual menu shown in a previous post, but I'll post it again for fun

Finder menu

This is what happens after you choose a workflow in the previous picture

Safari can also "Mail Contents of This Page" and "Mail Link to this Page" from the file menu... The contents seems to copy HTML, but mail kinda chokes on it...

Contents of this page in Mail, also showing the new compose window

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
Whats the feeling of overall system response? (Notice i did not use the word snappy?)
Yes, you do. Last word in the sentence.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Heh, well I'll be damned . But I really want cut-paste. Maybe this is an option in Tiger with normal files (cut-paste). I can understand that Apple would disallow a cut-paste on the Applications folder. If you catch my drift..
Apple will NEVER implement cut-and-paste. The cut-and-paste metaphor is extremely screwy in Windows. Say I cut a file (command-x) and don't paste it anywhere. Then I restart my computer. Theoretically, the file should no longer exist. However, that would piss people off if their files started disappearing.

By the way, since folders in the finder are spring-loaded, you can just drag the file to whatever subfolder you want, and move it there.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 01:34 PM

A shot of the standard Mail.app interface would be great!

T

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
Apple will NEVER implement cut-and-paste. The cut-and-paste metaphor is extremely screwy in Windows. Say I cut a file (command-x) and don't paste it anywhere. Then I restart my computer. Theoretically, the file should no longer exist. However, that would piss people off if their files started disappearing.

By the way, since folders in the finder are spring-loaded, you can just drag the file to whatever subfolder you want, and move it there.
So let them secure it. If it doesn't get pasted it doesn't disappear. Simple as that.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Elvin:
Those look fantastic... thanks for going to all that work. The syncutility one wouldn't download for me however.

I'm curious to see if there is any built in support for PDAs like Palm's without having to install Palm Desktop (now that they don't make it anymore).... any indication?
I'd like Apple to provide built in support for palm devices too. But I don't understand what you mean by that next bit. Palm don't exist as a company anymore, and PalmOne have pledged to continue to support the mac. So no problem even if Apple don't buid in Palm support
12" Rev B PB

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 01:40 PM

While the rumor mongering was going on, the GNAA guys also said that Mail.app had per-account signatures, is this in the dev preview?

Thanks,
Oliver

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by tRr:
Playing with Automator

From within Automator you can save as an Application or as a workflow- can't see any way to get access to AppleScript as a previous poster asked... If you save it as a workflow if you then move that file to /Library/Scripts/Applications/Finder/ then it shows up under the contextual menu shown in a previous post, but I'll post it again for fun

Finder menu

This is what happens after you choose a workflow in the previous picture

Safari can also "Mail Contents of This Page" and "Mail Link to this Page" from the file menu... The contents seems to copy HTML, but mail kinda chokes on it...

Contents of this page in Mail, also showing the new compose window
Damn Automater looks so slick. I can't wait for this!

-matt

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 01:49 PM

How big is the tiger install???

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Thorin:
I'd like Apple to provide built in support for palm devices too. But I don't understand what you mean by that next bit. Palm don't exist as a company anymore, and PalmOne have pledged to continue to support the mac. So no problem even if Apple don't buid in Palm support
Actually, you're right... I probably just didn't make it clear. To sync with a Palm you had to install Palm Desktop, cheange the prefs to use iSync conduit, then use iSync to perform a syncronization between the device and your Mac. I found it flakey and wouldn't always sync, or trash data. Tiger Sync looks like that have built upon iSync (same logo) and I was just hoping that Apple would take the initiative and create the solution all within Sync. But you're right... Palm did pledge they would continue support, so I may be way out in left field here.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
So let them secure it. If it doesn't get pasted it doesn't disappear. Simple as that.
But that breaks the cut-paste metaphor. If I cut a corner off of a piece of paper and don't do anything with that corner, that corner doesn't magically become reattached.

One thing the could do is make it so after you copy something, you can paste it with command-v or paste it and delete the original with command-option-v. That would make both sides happy.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Elvin:
Actually, you're right... I probably just didn't make it clear. To sync with a Palm you had to install Palm Desktop, cheange the prefs to use iSync conduit, then use iSync to perform a syncronization between the device and your Mac. I found it flakey and wouldn't always sync, or trash data. Tiger Sync looks like that have built upon iSync (same logo) and I was just hoping that Apple would take the initiative and create the solution all within Sync. But you're right... Palm did pledge they would continue support, so I may be way out in left field here.
Then next version of the Missing Sync (coming out in August) will allow you to hotsync via iSync (Sync Manager) without Palm Desktop. Hurray, Palm Desktop and the Hotsync manager are terrible terrible applications. So if it isn't built in there will be other options soon.

-matt

tRr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 02:01 PM

Yep it does, Mail signatures

Shot of Mail

Mail Doctor

Originally posted by iOliverC:
While the rumor mongering was going on, the GNAA guys also said that Mail.app had per-account signatures, is this in the dev preview?

Thanks,
Oliver

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Preview exports images to the usual set of formats just fine for me...
No, I tell a lie. It was launching the old version of preview in my Previous Systems dir. The new preview indeed does not have an export option.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 02:18 PM

http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...r/MailiCal.jpg

is that new? invites.

The QT player UI changes when you are selecting parts of tracks:

http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...Selection1.jpg
http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...Selection2.jpg

QT Exporting:
http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...r/QTExport.jpg

My HBH-65 Headset works properly in Tiger Grrrreat!
Also - new audio options - an aggregate of built-in audio and another audio source.
http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...er/BTAudio.jpg

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:25 PM

Tiger looks very polished (in terms of features and little details)

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 02:26 PM

Why is it that some windows have rounded off corners and other have squared corners? I not want my rounded corners to go away...

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
http://monkeyfood.com/thestuff/food/...r/MailiCal.jpg

is that new? invites.
That particular bit of interface is not in Panther, but Mail accepting meeting invitations (as attached .ics files) and adding them to iCal (and even sending a confirmation back) is.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
That particular bit of interface is not in Panther, but Mail accepting meeting invitations (as attached .ics files) and adding them to iCal (and even sending a confirmation back) is.
I guess the point would be so that you can turn that off, if you want to.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:45 PM

I want to try Tiger now but I'm not a software developer. This is too tempting. They should just release it quick. It looks much better than 10.0 no matter what bugs it has right now!

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I want to try Tiger now but I'm not a software developer. This is too tempting. They should just release it quick. It looks much better than 10.0 no matter what bugs it has right now!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:58 PM

Regarding benchmarks, since the graphics engine has been rewritten and looks much better than QE does currently, including live resizing in Quicktime and also Coreimage, could someone please do some Xbench tests and also some Photoshop filter tests? Another test would be to see how responsive typing is in Word as I always find is laggy. Also, are there any apps that are broken?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
Why is it that some windows have rounded off corners and other have squared corners? I not want my rounded corners to go away...
Both those windows have rounded corners if you look closely - the second one has just been cropped.

tRr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
The ones without rounded corners I took using the Command-Shift-4 + Space bar method... and for whatever reason it cuts the corners (well if you zoom in and look closely the background is white so maybe they are there)...

So every window is still rounded...

There is still a lot of weird bugs present... I haven't had any crashes yet but lots of slowdowns etc. and overall weird behaviours, which is of course to be expected. I'm about ready to wipe the drive and get back to some real work

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

What's the new DVD Player like? Live resizing or no?

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 03:28 PM

Oh, right. I should've realized that. Thanks for the correction.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:32 PM

For those of you who have installed Tiger on a second drive (or partition) I'm curious if Spotlight is picking up the files on your Panther hard drive? In theory Spotlight should search everything when you tell it to search "Everywhere" and that includes your Panther system drive and any Firewire drives you have connected.

If it does, is there any kind of filesystem conversion that happens, or indexing delay? Can one of you test this stuff out?

Also, how about full text searching? Can you try:

A) Creating a text document with a certain search term and save it
B) Saving it also as a pdf (print and then save as pdf)
C) Download a PDF from the internet and once the download completes see if it will be detected by the search. Both via filename and then try to search for something inside the file and see if it shows up.

If A B and C work then we've hit the lottery boys and girls. :-)

Cheers,
John

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:33 PM

Oh and THANK YOU all for posting the screenshots and answering our questions. I for one really appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers,
John

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by johnpg:
For those of you who have installed Tiger on a second drive (or partition) I'm curious if Spotlight is picking up the files on your Panther hard drive?

yes.
Also, how about full text searching? Can you try:

A) Creating a text document with a certain search term and save it
B) Saving it also as a pdf (print and then save as pdf)
C) Download a PDF from the internet and once the download completes see if it will be detected by the search. Both via filename and then try to search for something inside the file and see if it shows up.

If A B and C work then we've hit the lottery boys and girls. :-)

[/B]
A, B And C work.

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:50 PM

yes.
A, B And C work.
Wow. So it will find the text content inside a PDF (for instance) that you downloaded instantly? That's amazing. Worth $229 let alone $129. Awesome!! Sorry, I'm a geek, but could post a screenshot or two of this in action? :-)

Cheers,
John

jocker
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 03:52 PM

ok a few things here

1. I've been running Tiger for about 3 hours now, Photoshopping, MS Office 2004, Mail, Interarchy, SubEthaEdit. Listening to iTunes constantly all without any force quits, seems much much better than my Panther preview days.

2. Finder is a little buggy, selecting all the items in a folder doesn't result in them all being highlighted

3. Mail.app looked as though it was importing my Entourage folders, but after it had finished (took around 10 mins) all the folders were empty

4. This one's a showstopper though - Safari can't access any https pages!!

5. I installed this on my Firewire external hard drive - works a peach!

6. iChat won't let me log into my AIM account for some reason. EDIT - does now. bizarre

7. Spotlight is awesome.

8. Dashboard is useful.

9. Seems snappier than Panther (dare I say it!)

10. I think this a different one to what SJobs demoed - the menu bar still has pinstripes, the one he was using seemed plastic and the Apple menu had a blue background.

11. Time to try out xcode!!

So in summary, under the hood seems very stable already. I personally think they'll be adding tons of new features over the next 9 months or so.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:56 PM

One more question for you Tiger testers. Is there any indication of a hotkey to activate spotlight (for instance like Launchbar uses command-space)?

60-hz
Jun 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

I hate to say it but can Explorer access any Https sites?

Thinking about doing an upgrade as i can't be bothered backing everything up, anybody tried Toast 6?
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

corruptmedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 04:18 PM

On the apple website there is a screenshot of smart folders in the finder. If this functionality in the dp? If so can I see a screenshoot of smart folder creation, thanks. Also, do you think that the new grey sleek look of system preferences, and the "see all" window of spotlight could be a foreshadow of things to come? It seems like an awesome compromise between brushed metal and aqua. If you look at the mail screenshot there are some buttons just like safari bookmarks that have the new grey slate theme. Having three window styles isn't all that attractive, I hope apple settles on one.,

Drew

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
What's the new DVD Player like? Live resizing or no?
http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/...dvd_resize.mov

That's also how QuickTime resizes.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 04:31 PM

Sweeet

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:33 PM

A, B and C work.
Damn I'd like to know how they pulled that one off. That is SO cool.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

That's awesome!

There go my $129.

jocker
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by 60-hz:
I hate to say it but can Explorer access any Https sites?

Thinking about doing an upgrade as i can't be bothered backing everything up, anybody tried Toast 6?
Yes it can, so can Firebird, Camino et al. Its only Safari.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:40 PM

corruptmedia:

I'll do even better...here's a movie.
http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/..._folderlow.mov

osxisfun
Jun 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
corruptmedia:

I'll do even better...here's a movie.
http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/..._folderlow.mov

broken link?

60-hz
Jun 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

Anyone took the plunge an upgraded over Panther ?

Or have you all went for the clean install option?

Also didn't apple release some little updates via software update after a few months for the Panther developers release?
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
broken link?
Should work now. I think it wasn't done uploading.

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 04:56 PM

Not working for me on my PC at work. Strange error message too: "Couldn't open the file "smart_folderlow.mov" because a bad public movie atom was found in the movie"

No, really, that's what it said. :-)

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 04:57 PM

Did you encode that with h.264? Cause we poor pantherites can't play with that toy yet.

-matt

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 04:58 PM

Hmm "Bad Public Atom" - naughty atom!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 05:03 PM

Nope. Codec isn't being read by Panther.

Forum Links
Forum Rules