Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ink levels

Ink levels
bryh28
Dec 11, 2000, 08:58 AM

How does my Epson Photo 750, or any other printer, know how much ink is in the cartridge?

I'm asking because all my recent prints on PhotoPaper are skewed toward the yellow. When I do a print test the red and blue inks are absent. Two explanations are clogged nozzles, but repeated cleans make no difference (so they could be very clogged). Alternatively I could have just used up those inks. But the status monitor says I still have what I guesstimate to be about 10% for all colours. How accurate is the printer/software in assessing ink levels; or more interestingly, how does it measure?
Bryh

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2000, 03:25 PM

If you have a replacement cartridge, you might swap it in so you can look at the old one. Then you'll know what the situation is, for the future, no?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

ctpeterson
Dec 11, 2000, 07:13 PM

The HP deskjets use software to see how many pages have been printed and then estimates how much ink has been used.

[This message has been edited by ctpeterson (edited 12-11-2000).]
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

Paul S
Senior User
Dec 13, 2000, 02:57 PM

My Epson Photo 870 tells me the ink levels. I just open up any document and go into the page setup. That brings up the printer info. There is an icon of an ink cartridge. I click on that and it shows me how much I have left. As I get near the end of a cartridge, it tells me how many pages like the last one printed are remaining in each the color and black.

Forum Links
Forum Rules