Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best iPod case???

Best iPod case???
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 12:03 AM

what have you tried/seen and what would you buy?

P.D.

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 12:54 AM

sfbags.com has some nice ones. I haven't tried them cuz they're not shipping yet! But I have many of their other products, which are excellent - made of ballistic nylon weaves - they're pricey but the day I can afford an iPod (not anytime soon) I'm after a sleevecase.

(btw I'm a customer not a sales rep)
PowerBook 1400cs, Wallstreet, Lombard, MacBook Black

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 01:08 AM

i will buy the sooper dooper but i'm bummed i kinda need it now. i am goin on a ski/snomobile trip the 1st - 8th.

P.D.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 05:33 PM

WARNING !!!

I just got the iPod case from OWC (Other World Computing / MacSales). I got the one without the belt clip.

It is not a very good case. Even though it looks so nice on the web site (advertised on this MacNN a week or two ago), in actuality it is not so well-fiting. It was so tight that it took quite a bit of pressure to put it on and when I needed to take it off, it took HOURS to slowly squease and pry the iPod out. When it was on, the window for the screen did not lie flatly against the pod's screen (and the vinyl had a few smudges and scratches right out of the box). The opening for the wheel was not so well fitting either.

To make things worse, there was so much black dust (leather sheddings ??) in the case that (even though I blew most of it out) some of them got into the iPod's case and under the clear plastic (immediately next to the reverse on the wheel).

Be warned...

- Pat
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 06:50 PM

i don't find my OWC case that bad....yes it is snug fitting, but i don't plan on taking it off too often....i didn't get the one with the belt clip, but there shouldn't be any difference.......

It's not as bad as you make it sound....

to each their own

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 07:04 PM

actually, it took me less than 5 minutes to take off the case.

TazmanDman
Dec 30, 2001, 02:47 PM

I also have the OWC leather case... also have the belt clip. I think its excellent. This case is designed so that you won't be afraid to take your iPod anywhere you go having to worry about scratches...very snug, very clean fit. I haven't had any black leather sheddings problem. It takes me 10 sec. to take the case off if you do it right.

Happy iPoding! oh yeah, early New Year too

- Taz
- Taz

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2001, 11:44 PM

I appreciate your info, and it is true that the snug fit of the case makes me feel more secure about the iPod, however, I am still pissed about the leather sheddings.

After reading the last to postings, I put the OWC cover ( version w/o Clip) back on. It is a little looser and easier to adjust - which is good. However, I have even more leather sheddings than before - and I tried to clean it out first! So now, I have several dark marks on the white surface of my pod, under the translucent plastic, near the wheel. These dark marks are clearly from the leather and it bothers me....

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2001, 12:15 AM

the thing about the case is that if you use it, you don't show off how cool it looks and you protect it at the same time. however, is you don't use a case, you get scratches and it doesn't look as good.

i'll decide when i go back to school (where i really use my ipod) whether it's more of a hastle than it's worth.

well, maybe you can look at the sfbags (?) case. the people who have it really like it, but with that case you don't get direct access to the controls

[end rambling post]

iMan
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2001, 01:19 AM

I ordered the Super Dooper iPod case, the blue one, from WaterField Design ( http://www.sfbags.com ) I should be delivered the first week in Jan. I ordered it about Three Weeks ago. I can't wait to get it!!! I have a iBook Sleeve Case for my iBook and it is awesome. The quality is First Class. They have great Customer Service.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: iMan ]
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 12:04 PM

Just an update on the leather case (w/o clip) from OWC. I wrote an earlier posting complaining about the tight fit and the leather sheddings. Now I have a NEW problem with the crappy case!

After using it for two weeks, while treating the pod with care one would expect for a newborn child, I took it off to show someone the iPod. I noticed there many (more than a dozen) scratches around the wheel !!!! Considering how gently I've been treating my iPod, I can only deduce that they came from the case itself, rubbing up against the hard translucent plastic on the front. It seems to be where the OWC case's vinal ends and the leather begins - just after the stiching. I am not sure if it was the stiching or the end of the vinal itself (where there is a strip of vinal surrounding the wheel-opening).

The scratches are easily evident and it really dissapoints me, as the iPod is less than three weeks old. I HATE OWC!

Any other OWC-case owners are warned to inspect for scratches about a quarter of a centimeter out from the wheel.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2002, 01:33 PM

wether we like it or not, the ipod shows scratches like no other. and fingerprints. i got a ton on my ipod, but i'm not that annoyed because i've just accepted the fact that it will scratch and otherwise, it's an AWESOME mp3 player. i wish it would hold up better, but we can't help it. that's why we buy cases. i checked my ipod and did not notice any marks stand out from the others.

my advice is to just go and buy another case if you're having THIS MUCH trouble with it. and the cases will tend to hide the scratches and blemishes so that might help.

plan A: scratch your ipod up a lot so the other scratches aren't as evident.
plan B: go and order another ipod and i will buy your old ipod for a reasonable sum of $20 being that it is so horribly ugly with those scratches

i advise you to go with plan B myself, but it's your decision

i just checked my ipod and did notice a few of those scratches, but with all the other scratches, it all just blends in.

(BTW, i do agree with you that the scratches are annoying and am just fooling with you)

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 03:57 PM

i have the xtrememac case from xtrememac.com, I didnt really like the belt clip i wish they had one that is like a real clip. This case is good, i love it, only thing i dont like is that the threading for the plastic thing attatched to the 'leather'. I'll post pics later. OH yeah it cost 15 without the belt clip and the crappy headfones pouch at macworld , but the lady didnt hear me right and gave me the one with the belt clip which i dont use and the headfones clip. If anyone needs the headfone pouch just email me i can mail it off. So i had to spend 25 bucks with tax.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

timlb
Jan 14, 2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
<STRONG>what have you tried/seen and what would you buy?

P.D.</STRONG>
Out of the 3 I've acquired, the best one I've found is the PodPac.
the URL is podpac.com The guy selling them is SUPER helpful (I ask A LOT of questions) and really nice to get along with. He shipped mine out within 24 hours of receiving payment.

timlb

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2002, 09:42 PM

I'll go with the www.sfbags.com (Waterfield) case. I have bought other stuff from them for my Ti, and the quality is EXCELLENT.

mmarcos
Jan 16, 2002, 03:03 AM

I got my sooper dooper yesterday. It is a really good case both in design and functionality. It does a good job protecting it, access to controls is great, looks are cool, construction is superb. This is the 3rd time around I purchase an items from Waterfield and I'm very happy with it. Really great stuff.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

winky
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2002, 11:37 PM

I also bought the OWC case with the belt clip. I really liked the case but almost lost my iPod twice yesterday while flying.

Be very careful with this case or you may loose your $400 iPod.

<spelunkr>
Jan 18, 2002, 11:54 AM

I like the Podpac, too.

Not only does it protect the iPod from scratches and fingerprints, it fits the iPod so well that you can slip the iPod with the podpac on it into thicker travel-type cases. I found it at podpac.com

I use the Podpac when I'm actually using my iPod because you can get to all the controls when it's on it, then slip the whole unit, podpac and all, into one of those neoprene cases for travel.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2002, 10:47 AM

Oakley sunglass bag works well - stops scratches, can use the controls inside the case (the bag moves, but you have to know where the controls are), doesn't make the ipod any thicker (well, very little), and best of all it cleans off fingerprints when you put the iPod back in the bag.

-- james

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 19, 2002, 11:20 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 12:11 PM. )

aaronvegh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 05:46 PM

Yes, Gary really is a nice guy, and I love the look of their case.

Only problem is, if you order it in Canada you'll be paying a LOT more than the sticker price! With $23 US shipping cost, it nearly doubles the price. Gary's promised better rates to Canada, but that's not going to happen for a few more weeks. And then you have to wait for them to ship it out, since they're on serious backorder.

Still, I just might wait...

Cheers,
Aaron.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2002, 03:46 PM

So I've got 5 months to go before my AidsRide. I need to decide which case to use for my iPod. I'm gonna need something that's got a belt clip. Sounds like the best thing. So how many choices to we have now?

What I'm thinking of, is some kind of clip that's a ring that'll attach my iPod to the handlebars. That would be ideal. Just search and change songs without any hassle.

I guess a couple of little speakers would be great to so I don't need headphones. Unless there's a good pair of wireless phones that are earbuds.

????
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

VolleyGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2002, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrchin:
[QB]So I've got 5 months to go before my AidsRide. I need to decide which case to use for my iPod. I'm gonna need something that's got a belt clip. Sounds like the best thing. So how many choices to we have now?

You ought to consider a soon-to-be-released neoprene case from marware ( http://www.marware.com/SportSuit-iPod.html ). Here's their description of the new case:

"The SportSuit for iPod is a play-thru case that offers acess to the screen and jog wheel. A detachable lid offers complete protection when necessary.

The case offers several wearing options for joggers, cyclists, etc.

We will post pictures as soon as final prototypes are available. Pricing has not yet been determined."

I recently bought their SportFolio II case for my iBook. Very well made and a very reasonable price compared to some other cases I looked at.

Good luck on your bike ride.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2002, 11:07 PM

Here you go, everyone. The iGlove is IT!

Just got mine this afternoon. Fits beautifully, open on top for access, snug but not too tight, and made extremely well. Best looking of all of them.
http://www.softwareandthings.com/

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2002, 11:30 AM

Hey VolleyGirl! I contacted Marware and they answered back that they will have an attachment for the handlebars on the bike. That's great. Just gotta wait for it to come out.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by tonewheel:
<STRONG>Here you go, everyone. The iGlove is IT!

Just got mine this afternoon. Fits beautifully, open on top for access, snug but not too tight, and made extremely well. Best looking of all of them.
http://www.softwareandthings.com/</STRONG>
It's kinda got a lip all the way around on the front a back face ala the iMac LCD. Is that hard or bendy? Must have a board insert to keep it firm or will it curl in over time and give you dog ears?

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2002, 11:40 AM

I'm curious about the Sportsuit as I want to use it while jogging. The real issue is that my wife wants to be able to strap it to her arm like her old walkman.

Does the SuperDooper case have a loop in the back for running a belt through? Basically, I'm thinking I can canabalize the walkman case to adapt the ipod case for my wife's arm.

kman

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 02:54 PM

I just got my super dooper case this morning. I think it's great. It doesn't, however, has a belt loop... though you probably could figure out a way to make one with the clip attachment. Anyway, if you have questions you can ask me.

Eric
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2002, 02:43 PM

Jeez, I am sounding like a broken record (remember those?), but I gotta warn everyone about the case from OWC.

If you read my pervious warnings, I talked about the leather sheddings (which do stop after a while), the fine scratches caused where the vinyl ends. The latter problem bothered me so, that I stoped using the case for a while. Then I came upon the idea to use regular scotch-tape to tape over the edge where the end of the vinyl flaps over the leather. It worked fine, so I put the case back on and when on a 10 day trip to Thailand.

My iPod saved my life, as I am a teacher and was on a student trip. I often needed to lose myself in music to get away from the whining students.

But when I got back I found a whole new series of MAJOR scratches caused by the stitching that is sewn between the vinyl and the leather. The scratches are a half-centemeter long and follow a circular pattern around the dial and a square pattern arround the screen. They are so prominent that you can see them standing several feet from the ipod.

Now I go into stores and see sample iPods that have been handeled carelessly day after day... and they all look so much NICER than my ipod (which has been handled with care).

BEWARE OF OWC!

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2002, 02:08 AM

get the sfbags case then, or leave the case on permanetely. just keep in mind that looks are only one reason that the ipod kicks ass. it'[s a great mp3 player. it's like getting the first scratch on a new car. you flip out for a few days, but then you're come back down and you're alright. it seems as though you've been flipping out for the past month. you should take you're ipod and lose yourself in music for a couple days so you can RELAX. the ipod shows scratches like no other. it's bound to happen. i'm sure there are people with more scratches than you (myself included), so just RELAX. it was bound to happen.

other than the scratches, the OWC case isn't too bad. i don't know if i would recomend it, but it's not half bad. no one's perfect. people seem to like the sfbags case so people should get that one. what i like about the OWC one is that it doesn't make the ipod bulky with the tight leather (?) on it. it also has immediate access to the controls (except the hold button and firewire port). i believe that with the sfbags case, you have to open a flap to get to the controls. i'd rather be able to reach into my pocket and adjust the volume rather than having to take the ipod out, flipping the cover up, and then adjust the volume even if i only want to slightly raise the volume or turn it down.

just decide what you want: easy access to controls with a few more scratches or more protection and less accessability.

just a couple points
-you're going to get scratches on it anyway from normal use. you can't avoid it. the ipod shows scratches a lot
-if you got a case on, you can't see the scratches
-don't get an ipod if you really hate scratches

if anyone is soooooooo annoyed with the scratches that they want to get a new one, please send the used, crappy looking ipods to me. i will only charge a small 5$ fee (not including shipping and handling) to dispose of these ipods properly. i will end their misery. thank you for your cooperation and business!

P.S. if you have a new dual ghz PM with a couple scratches on the case, I can take care of those also for a small $20 fee!!!!

sMACk
Feb 5, 2002, 01:05 PM

I've had the sfbag super dooper for about two weeks now and it is awesome, highly recommended. Had mine custom made with the 'lead' fabric and it looks great. Just ordered one on their bags.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: sMACk ]

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2002, 10:55 PM

Timbuk2 needs to make a case. That would be nice, expecially with their spial logo on it. And you'd be able to customize the colors. that's what I'm waiting for.

Probably just pick up the podpac until then. Especially since you can use it with an bigger case.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2002, 10:35 AM

I recently ordered the NeoPod Neoprene iPod Case with Swivel Belt Clip from www.everythingipod.com
Has anyone else used/seen/heard of these? I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival any day now. I'll keep you posted in case anyone else is thinking of ordering from them. Chris.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Forum Links
Forum Rules