Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW with 2.7Ghz PowerMac + X800 XT Impressions + video

WoW with 2.7Ghz PowerMac + X800 XT Impressions + video
riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 05:14 PM

My Specs are:
Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
1.35GHz frontside
bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
2GB DDR400 SDRAM
ATI X800 XT Video Card

This card is replacing the Radeon 9650XT that came with my system. In WoW I was getting about 14FPS at 1920x1200 and all details set to medium. Also, shader effects were turned off.

With the X800XT I am getting about 32-60FPS at 1920x1200 with 'Terrain Distance' set to max and all other details set to max. All shaders were turned on as well.

So in the end I get double the performance of the 9650, but still less than half the performance of my X800 XT based gaming PC. That isn't a huge deal for since I knew that going in and now I can at least play WoW at acceptable framerates on the machine I do most of my computing on.
( Last edited by riotge@r; May 1, 2005 at 04:46 AM. )
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2005, 06:17 PM

Link doesn't work for me. Error message is:

Server bcvrf.yahoo.com is unknown

riotge@r  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
Link doesn't work for me. Error message is:

Server bcvrf.yahoo.com is unknown

I reposted it. The link should work now.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2005, 07:57 AM

Well that's disappointing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 02:11 PM

Wow that's not very impressive at all for such good hardware You might try running WoW in a window for the time being, as it improves framerates and allows you to do others things while on those long gryphon rides or whatever

On a side note, try posting this issue on the WoW tech support forums. The mods there are very helpful.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 11:27 AM

Is there supposed to be a link to a video in this thread? I would love to see it in action as I would give my gaming PC up in an instant just to do everything on a Mac.

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 7, 2005, 08:51 AM

My CPU have about the same clock speed as riotge@r's frontbus, but on either systems comparable Windows machines performes better in WOW. OTOH WOW performance have improved somewhat in the past few months. Somewhere in 10.3.8 800x600 was adequate, now in 10.4 and a bunch of WOW patches later it appears that 1024x768 is adequate. This is on a FX 5200 mobile video card, so settings are trimmed to the lowest thought.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules