Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Overnight Maintenance Scripts.

Overnight Maintenance Scripts.
fallingman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 07:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm a recent convert to macs and am loving it.

I have a MBP 2gig, and am slowly but surely getting the hang of things. I have read somewhere of late that OSX runs some mainetenance scripts overnight (clearing the cache etc perhaps?)

I have done a quick search where some people have suggested leaving your machine on, and as I dont think I've done this even nce I thought it seemed like a good idea. I understand the power consumption aspects of the argument.

My question is:

What state to leave my MBP in to run these scripts?

Can I have it on battery and shut the lid, placing it in sleep mode? Or will that not run what I want? Should I leave the lid open and plug the machine in? Should I change the power save settings to leave everything going?

Any help appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

FM

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 07:53 AM

Leave it on, open, and plugged in. It has to be ON, not even asleep (which is basically off) for the scripts to run.

These scripts are a carryover from the Unix underpinnings of OS X, and they assume the computer will be on and running 24/7. I'm told that 10.4 overcomes that misstep, but I don't have it so I don't know.

There are other ways to handle this, too. There are apps that do the cleanup for you (i.e. MacJanitor) and others that note idle time and do the cleanup then.

Finally, this is really more about the OS than anything else, so I'm moving the thread to the Mac OS forum for more (and probably lots more!) visibilty and feedback.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 08:59 AM

These scripts are run at the next possible opportunity. So you can turn you computer off, close the lid, have it sleep, pull out the battery, whatever. The next time the scripts can run they automatically will.

Don't get any of those maintenance applications. They are a waste of time.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
These scripts are run at the next possible opportunity. So you can turn you computer off, close the lid, have it sleep, pull out the battery, whatever. The next time the scripts can run they automatically will.
This is exactly right. It wasn't always this way, but Tiger changed some things.

Chris

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2006, 09:57 AM

Yep, if the computer is asleep when the scripts are supposed to run, LaunchServices is supposed to automatically run them whenever you wake the machine up.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 10:55 AM

I believe that with Tiger the scripts will run the next time they are able if the machine isn't on at night. You no longer need to worry about it. I used to manually kick them off too before Tiger. ;-)

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 12:41 PM

I knew someone would chime in with something to back me up on this. Our iBook is running 10.3, so we use MacJanitor every now and then. Still thinking of upgrading to Tiger, though...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 03:05 AM

Anacron. Install and forget.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 03:12 AM

Or, if you're running 10.4 (which you are), just forget about installing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules