Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > BootCamp v1.1 (new)

BootCamp v1.1 (new) (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 11:16 AM

I see the phrase "unless you want to change its size" as meaning that you CAN change the size. I see your point though-it's not as clear that you can or can't resize the partition as I thought on first reading.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 11:29 AM

Well I opened up the boot camp assistant, and I would assume that if you could resize the partition, it would be one of the options on the main screen. The only 3 options that are given are shown below, hence me thinking that you cannot resize the partition. I would guess that in Boot Camp 1.2, or when leopard comes out (which ever comes first), you will be able to resize partitions on the fly.

iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I see the phrase "unless you want to change its size" as meaning that you CAN change the size. I see your point though-it's not as clear that you can or can't resize the partition as I thought on first reading.
It's perfectly clear.

"You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size)"

This means:

You don't need to partition your hard drive again. Unless you want to change its size. In which case you do need to repartition your drive.

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't think diskutil will resize NTFS partitions because Apple hasn't licensed the NTFS specification from Microsoft so they can do it without risking data loss.

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 01:00 PM

i now wish i would have formatted windows in FAT, but i reallllly dont feel like going back and reinstalling/partitioning f'ing windows just for the writing--->windows capability...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
It's perfectly clear.

"You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size)"

This means:

You don't need to partition your hard drive again. Unless you want to change its size. In which case you do need to repartition your drive.

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't think diskutil will resize NTFS partitions because Apple hasn't licensed the NTFS specification from Microsoft so they can do it without risking data loss.
It doesn't look like what I though it meant was true. There's some slippery wording there-I believe you could validly interpret it either way-but the fact that the Boot Camp Assistant doesn't have an option to resize partitions is pretty convincing.

I agree that diskutil probably can't change NTFS partitions as much because OS X can't write to NTFS partitions as because Apple haven't licensed the spec.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 02:14 PM

I believe you could validly interpret it either way
Code:
Unless \Un*less"\, conj. [Formerly, onles, onlesse, onlesse that, that is, in less, in a less case. See {On}, and {Less}.] Upon any less condition than (the fact or thing stated in the sentence or clause which follows); if not; supposing that not; if it be not; were it not that; except; as, we shall fail unless we are industrious. [1913 Webster]

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 02:35 PM

This is getting silly.

The issue was the clause AFTER the parenthetical statement. It is not clear that this clause is excluded by the parenthetical statement.

There are two interpretations of the statement on the Boot Camp page, as far as I can see:

"You do not have to repartition your hard drive unless you want to change the partition size, and you don't have to reinstall either OS X or Windows."

"You do not have to repartition your hard drive or reinstall either OS X or Windows, unless you want to change the partition size."

By using commas, the writer could have made the intended meaning abundantly clear, but using parentheses in this statement introduces ambiguity. I think the writer used parentheses to make the sentence more conversational, but remember that in a conversation, a speaker can gage the listener's response and illuminate as needed to ensure the point is made correctly.

cms
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 02:50 PM

Come on girls -- time to put your handbags down. Aren't we getting off topic just a tad?

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 02:53 PM

This is getting silly.
Only because you apparently can't parse sentences properly.

The issue was the clause AFTER the parenthetical statement. It is not clear that this clause is excluded by the parenthetical statement.
You seemed to think that you could resize, but the post-parenthetical clause says nothing about resizing. Anything that comes after the parentheses is irrelevant to whether or not you can resize the partition.

The parenthetical statement CLEARLY STATES that you don't have to repartition UNLESS you want to resize. It follows, then, that if you want to resize, you do have to repartition.

The only other thing that Apple should have communicated is that resizing-by-repartitioning is destructive to your Windows partition, but not to your Mac OS X partition.

fallingman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:13 AM

In the spirit of sliding this thread back on-topic...

I'm also having trouble getting the right-click to work with a MBP.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

FM

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 11:18 AM

My clock still isn't right after the update.

I know that the update allows installation of windows to any *internal* drive. I wonder if there's a way to finally install to an external. Anyone know for sure?

Flux45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by fallingman
In the spirit of sliding this thread back on-topic...

I'm also having trouble getting the right-click to work with a MBP.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

FM

just hold the RIGHT apple key down while you click....
or get the wireless mighty mouse!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by torifile
My clock still isn't right after the update.
For some reason, the program "AppleTime.exe" doesn't always run at startup, even though it is listed in the startup items list. I just added it to my Start Menu>Programs>Startup folder, and have had no problems.

(AppleTime.exe is located in the directory C:\Windows\system32, in case you were wondering)
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Aug 19, 2006 at 01:00 AM. )

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 01:51 AM

Welcome to Windows driver hell.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 08:53 AM

Not "driver hell," but rather "how the hell did this start up automatically, and the thing I wanted to didn't?" AppleTime.exe SHOULD be set up to run at startup. If you temporarily removed it from your startup items and then ran MSCONFIG (Start|Run then type msconfig in the handy little box) you could see if it had been installed to run. Click on the Startup tab to see what's configured to run at startup and where that setting is. I typically use this to find something I want to STOP from running, but this tool will let you know if it was installed and something else is wrong.

Oxident
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hello all!

I have an Intel imac 17"... Eject button stopped working on 1.1, itw as ok on 1.0 and 1.02...

Anyone found a "cure"?

Cheers

Alex

shapenaji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 04:13 PM

Hey everybody,

I've been having this problem since I got my Macbook Pro.

The device manager in Windows just won't seem to recognize my sound drivers. I've gone through and tried to install them numerous times, both from the BootCamp driver disk, AND from SigmaTel's website. Nothing seems to work.

I got Bootcamp 1.1 and burned the new driver disk hoping that that would fix it. But that doesn't seem to hack it either.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules