Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook G3 questions

Ibook G3 questions
Ghigster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 01:24 PM

Hello,

I have just purchased and older G3 ibook from a buddy of mine on another forum. Sold it to me cheap because he no longer needed it, had no ac adapter to go with it, battery doesn't hold a full charge and the screen has some problems. I got it today in the mail and i cleaned it up a bit and got it on my wirless network.

The problem with the screen is that it dims out, but I can faintly see the desktop still. If I move the screen around some it sometimes comes back on, but it still flickers if the screen shakes just a little. From searching it seems that the problem is the cable getting messed up inside the hinge. My question is can anyone tell me exactly which cable I would need to fix it? (link?) Also where i would be able to get a AC Adapter and a new battery for a decent price other than ebay?

Thanks

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 05:22 PM

Here is the cable with the reed switch which needs to be changed:

076-1073 PCEBA Reed Switch with Cable for dual USB white 12-inch G3 iBook from Small Dog Electronics

As for the AC Adapter/Battery, check your local Apple store for refurbished items. They might have some.

Ghigster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the help pat

bill k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:29 PM

Hey, Thanks for that! I read it then ordered a spare reed switch & cable just in case I get the same problem. A good tip.

bill k

Beware the chickens, for in their silence, they plot...

Forum Links
Forum Rules