Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Opinion Wanted: Zip Disks/Drives

Opinion Wanted: Zip Disks/Drives
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2002, 02:56 AM

just curious...

how many of you get the Zip drive built into your PowerMac Tower?
How many of you use zip drives/disks?
If your PM tower came with a Zip drive, would you use it?
Is this tech. on its way out the door?

personally, i use my zip 100 all the time. it is my replacement for the floppy.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 03:00 AM

I use them to transfer files between my macs but anymore I use Ethernet more. Otherwise I burn a CD. Its faster and more reliable and everyone has a CD. I dont think I'd get rid of my zip but Ireally dont use it.

I use my 2.1 gig orb drive a lot more (for pro audio work)

VRL
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 11:01 AM

Yes. I got the Zip 250 for a few reasons. First, to ensure that if someone hands me a zip disk, I can use it. (Doesn't occur too often, but it does happen.) The main reason - I backup data/work often, and don't always want to burn it onto a CDR or CDRW. The zip drive gives me another option

It would be nice to see the price of Zip disks come down, though.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 07:58 PM

I've got a Zip 100 in my G4/400, but only because I took it out of my B&W G3/350 when I got the G4. It is a lot handier than a burner, and quicker. Just drop stuff on it; much quicker than burning a CD. The technology is on its way out, though. I don't sell many Zip drives any more; mostly external burners. Next new machine I get will not have a Zip in it. I've had several disks go bad in just over a year. These have never been known for long term reliability. Burning CDs is also a lot cheaper.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

iMan
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2002, 02:12 PM

When I bought my G4 Dual 450 I did not get the Zip Drive. But I wish I would've. I had a external Zip Drive for my old PC. I used it a ton. My friend had one also and we would exchange data all the time. If I had it oon my PowerMac I would use it alot with my other friend that is also a MacAddict. I would say thawt the Zip Drives are gonna keep on getting better. I like the Zip 250 it seems a little faster but that could because the one I was using was internal. The Zip 100 I was using was a USB.

The only problen I have with them is I wish they were faster.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2002, 03:28 PM

I always use zip disks. I also use floppies because my school still uses them. Anyways, I find zip disks to be very useful.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2002, 04:18 PM

I have a Zip on my G4 that I use less and less. I got it becasue I have had zip's in my last few computers and I felt I should. It has come in handy once or twice, but as the cliche goes, a broken clock it right twice a day. In retrospect, I could have thought of better things to do with that $100. I think putting that money into RAM or a bigger monitor would be money better spent.

Paco

andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2002, 04:47 PM

I think for backup data and permanent storage, CDs are replacing zips. However, for giving things to a reputable service bureau (ie., one that will return them) zips are still better. Faster, less hassle to transfer, no worries about file formats, and ecologically better. Somebody once pointed out to me how much plastic is wasted by giving cds to service bureaus, as they aren't going to keep them, and if they give them back you have no use for them either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules