Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Applications unable to connect to internet, possible firewall issue?

Applications unable to connect to internet, possible firewall issue?
JONNYMAC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 03:23 PM

Hello all!

Just bought a mac book pro after converting from windows, and am currently loving it, have fallen into osx quite well, but I have been rather perplexed for the past couple of days when it comes to MSN Messenger and/or Adium!

Neither of these appz seem to be able to work, msn messenger not at all, adium will connect if you tick http proxy in preferences, but cannot send and recieve messages, unfortunatly I really need to get one of them to work, and so am asking if any of you cool mac owners have experienced this before? I know of a few others that have just bought macs and are having similar/same problems with it.

All other pcs on windows in the house can connect to msn, so i assume out router is fine.

thanx a lot
Jon

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2007, 04:45 PM

Is the software firewall on (System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall) and if so, have you opened the ports required for MSN? To do so, click new and select MSN Messenger from the drop down menu for the Port Name:

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2007, 04:56 PM

or just turn off your firewall altogether.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2007, 08:32 PM

Turning off your firewall is a really bad idea unless your computer is always on a network you trust, which would be one with at least a NAT firewall. Most laptop users connect their wireless to whatever network is around, having no idea whether the network is trust worthy or not. Just turning off your firewall would be like a King taking down the walls of his castle because he wanted to go out, rather than opening the gate.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2007, 09:16 PM

Not that big of a deal running without it on a Mac. There's nothing in the wild that can exploit a Mac without your admin password.

This would be a serious concern on Windows though.

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Not that big of a deal running without it on a Mac. There's nothing in the wild that can exploit a Mac without your admin password.

This would be a serious concern on Windows though.
Not neccersarily, a lot of people are falling for what Apple is saying about viruses. It's true that UNIX is many times more secure than DOS, and that Mac is also hard to hack. For example, even Mac admins can't edit the system files, so they couldn't install viruses there. The reason there aren't any is a combination of the lower market share, and UNIX being hard to hack. There are a few proof-of-concept ones though.

Anyway, always keep your firewall up!
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Cold Warrior
Aug 24, 2007, 11:19 PM

Dude, show me a freakin' exploit for the Mac that someone can inject remotely on a fully-patched Mac with default share settings and no firewall -- then maybe I'll take it seriously.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 06:53 AM

Please try to use more appropriate / less vague thread titles

Also moving to Applications forum.
we don't have time to stop for gas

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
Dude, show me a freakin' exploit for the Mac that someone can inject remotely on a fully-patched Mac with default share settings and no firewall -- then maybe I'll take it seriously.
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
The reason there aren't any [viruses] is a combination of the lower market share, and UNIX being hard to hack. There are a few proof-of-concept ones though.
Read my post before making yourself look like a fool.
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2007, 10:27 AM

First, cool it. Second, from a practical standpoint (and I'm the "security guy" around here) turning off one's firewall is not going to be a big problem. This of course assumes that the user has enough smarts not to click on every fool link that shows up, and certainly not to click on anything that offers something for nothing, naked pictures of anyone, free software, etc...

On the other hand, since it's easy to open the right port for anything you need it open for, it is more secure to just do that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules