Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Google staring down likely €3B fine in EU antitrust investigation

Google staring down likely €3B fine in EU antitrust investigation
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 17, 2016, 07:13 AM

Alphabet subsidiary Google is in line for fines totaling at least €3 billion ($3.4 billion) from the EU for abuse of its monopoly position in search. The European Commission investigation into Google's search practices dates back to 2010, with officials in Brussels said to be close to issuing its findings and the final penalty, reports The Telegraph. The maximum fine that Google could be hit with for anti-competitive practices is as much as €6.6 billion ($7.5 billion), with the European Commission taking the position that the Mountain View-based company had illegally promoted its own services ahead of the competition in the way it produced search results.

Google, for its part, has lobbied the two Competition Commissioners who have held the position over the seven-year duration of the investigation, even proposing a solution that was ultimately determined to be even worse than its practices at the time the initial allegations were made. In imposing a stiff penalty, a record in the EU for anti-competitive practices by foreign companies trading in the region, the EU will force Google to alter its prized algorithms, something that it has fought hard against. One of Google's key defenses, that Amazon and eBay are two examples of competition that continues to thrive despite the way Google's search results favor its own services, was ultimately rejected.

Google joins both Intel and Microsoft in running afoul of the EU's tough anticompetitive-actions legislation. Intel, the current record holder for the largest European Commission fine, was fined €1.06 billion for paying computer makers to use its chips instead of AMD's chips, while Microsoft was pinged for force-feeding Internet Explorer down the throats of customers at the expense of the competition. Ultimately, Microsoft ending up paying more for its non-compliance in applying its proposed fix, costing the company an additional €561 million after claiming that its browser selection screen was inadvertently purged in a software update.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2016, 08:47 AM

As an author, I'm no fan of Google the Book Stealer. But as a Mac/Safari user, I fail to see how the company is being anti-competitive. In about 15 seconds (Preferences-Search), I can switch my Safari search from Google to Yahoo, Bing or DuckDuckGo. I worry far more about Google applying a Facebook-like, billionaire-preference spin to political search results than I do to any corporate favoritism that Google might apply. And if the EU wants to go after bias search results, they need to look at Amazon's own internal search, which exerts a heavy bias toward more expensive results. I had one of Amazon's own lawyers defend that practice to me. Her defense was that, if you click long enough on enough links you'll eventually find that cheaper price. Google is probably a better way to search Amazon than Amazon itself.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

just a poster
Forum Regular
May 18, 2016, 12:09 AM

That photo is so cute. Look at those big babies playing with their legos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules