Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > 10.4 Sidebar

10.4 Sidebar
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 04:25 PM

I was wondering if anybody else encountered the same problem? It looks like In Tiger I can't change the background color of the finder sidebar anymore.

*Using themepark I am changing the color in:

Global Elements/Text Colors/Sidebar Background...also i am changing the Global Elements/Text Colors/List Background but with no luck.

Thanks,

P.s - strange but even just applying a theme in SS like Jetblack which suppose to have a black finder sidebar doesn't work anymore??? It’s just staying in its original white color.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 04:59 PM

from the author....

Originally Posted by smeger
Okay, so we're about a week into the Tiger Transition! Here's what's cropped up in that week bug-wise. Please feel free to chime in with more. Bugs only, please, new features won't be considered at this time:

ShapeShifter
  • guiKit icon sets created on Tiger don't work - easy
  • Finder sidebar/list/column view background colors - hard
  • Address Book app skinning needs new implementation - medium
  • NSStatusItem menu extra backgrounds broken - unknown
  • Rollover menu selection in Spotlight menu extra results ugly (in 'mes' particularly) - very very hard
  • iChat buddy list alternating row colors don't respect theme - easy
  • Let ClearDock/TransparentDock override a theme's Dock customization - easy
  • Finder copy dialogs and status bar don't respect theme backgrounds, some Finder text colors broken in Tiger - won't fix immediately
  • Need better way to handle app skinning when the app's version number changes (generic app skinning depends on this) - hard

ThemePark
  • Enable ability to skin any application - depends on SS issue noted above - just needs to be turned on
  • Enable Quicktime Player skin - also depends on SS issue noted above - just needs to be turned on
  • Find work-around for nasty-ass Apple bug regarding partial image transparency - hard

Mighty Mouse
  • Resolve registration bug so MM is actually usable - medium
  • Prefpane needs some serious TLC - Photoshop integration, users shouldn't need to know about images, masks and premultiplication. Longer-term goal

Now, what I've got laid out above is a ton of work and I'm coming off of about two and a half months of fifteen hour days getting everything working for Tiger, and I'm currently insanely not-kidding-around burned out. So I'll probably move sort of slowly for a week or so before I begin firing on all cylinders again.

This means I'd also like to know which of the above are most important to you, as I may not resolve all of the above before putting out a 2.1.1 release.

ZXspectrum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
from the author....
Thanks

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 03:48 AM

You could always try and use a hex editor to hack the Finder yourself. That's what I plan to do in a few days once I get the time. Of course, I'm bound to break the Finder a few times before I succeed, but still, it'll be fun.
EDIT: Ok, forget it being fun. I went through and changed every single 16-bit white color piece of code in Finder and got no visible results that I noticed. I don't know if that means that they switched to using 8-bit, that they extarnalized the value, that they stored it in some other way, or that I messed up and just missed it, but regardless, I'm probably just going to wait until Themepark can handle it for me. I had been hoping I'd find it first, but at this point, I'm willing to wait for smeger.
( Last edited by Anubis IV; May 18, 2005 at 03:34 AM. )
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

crooner
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 05:17 AM

bump

Anyone have any more info on colorizing the tiger sidebar?

Any luck with hacking it?

Jason?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:25 PM

I have sidebar working fine in test builds, but since I use the same system for list and column view backgrounds and they are only sporadically working at the moment, I don't consider it "done".

I hope to include this in ShapeShifter 2.1.1, but it may have to wait for 2.2.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

crooner
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by smeger
I have sidebar working fine in test builds, but since I use the same system for list and column view backgrounds and they are only sporadically working at the moment, I don't consider it "done".

I hope to include this in ShapeShifter 2.1.1, but it may have to wait for 2.2.

Cool. Thanks for the update, Jason. Can't wait!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules