Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound Dead in OS 9 after installing X

Sound Dead in OS 9 after installing X
niacin
May 5, 2001, 11:48 AM

Hi,

I have a Pismo 400 with 192 MBs ram. I clean installed 9.1 over my 9.0.4, and then OS X over that. I have a regular 2.1 cambridge soundworks speakers connected.

When i boot up in 9.1, there is no audio. My powerbook Mute on/off and volume controls on the keyboard go cranky, they don't work at all. There is no sound output. When i go to the sound control panel, it detects no "output devices" or "input devices" because some other application is using the sound or something like that. I've trashed sound, speech preferences, turned off speech extensions. no good.

This is the craziest part - when i unplug my speaker jack from the back of the PB, my system freezes in 9.1.

In OS X everything is fine except the powerbook volume and mute buttons don't work as well (they used to)

Does happen to noe what the probelm is? thank you!

acur128
May 5, 2001, 02:24 PM

There still appear to be issues with sound switching from os X to os 9 on G3 powerbooks, especially with external speakers. If restarting once without speakers doesn't bring sound back, a second restart or shutdown/restart (with or without speakers) often does. Check out the following threads: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/001841.html http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/000028.html

niacin  (op)
May 9, 2001, 08:33 AM

thanks!

however, my problem with the Mute, Volume and Brightness Keys on my powerbook is still at large. basically, they used to work, but they no longer do.. they work under 9.1 though, but not under X.

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2001, 12:01 PM

I found my Vol. and Bright. Keys would work in OSX if I first went to the displays and sound control panels...
not sure what it is, but maybe just opening the CP's loads the software that contols the keys???
anyone else confirm this?
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2001, 12:14 PM

Pismo 400, 192 MB, Mac OS 9.0.4 updated to 9.1 on a 15GB partition, Mac OS X on a separate 3 GB partition. Same experience here - booting to OS X kills the sound in Mac OS 9.1 when I return. A second reboot usually fixes things (otherwise I reset the power manager).

Forum Links
Forum Rules