Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sonnet Tempo ATA133 & Maxtor HD

Sonnet Tempo ATA133 & Maxtor HD
bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 10:33 PM

I have a Sawtooth G4 which I put a Sonnett Temp ATA133 PCI card and plugged in my Maxtor 120gb 7200rpm HD to it's IDE 1 channel. Upon boot attempt I am greeted with a circle and a diagonal line through it. I received word I should try to reinstall OS X. I pop in a Jaguar CD, hold down Option which shows me the boot screen where I see my HD (which oddly has a SCSI symbol under it) and the OS install CD. WHen I try to wipe the drive and install, I am only shown the CD as an available disc/volume. I then put in a Panther install CD which when I hold
down option I see both the HD CD. Again, the problem is the same.

I am at my wits end. I've tried everything from swapping the IDE cable, jumpers, etc etc but nothing helps. So, I turn to all of you.....
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

cantona7
Feb 15, 2004, 08:53 PM

i don't think you can boot from a drive connected to this card.

how many drives do you have?

i have the same setup (3 drives).

you should move the drive to one of the controller's on the motherboard, set it to master and the others to slave.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 09:37 PM

Success! Turned out to be the master jumper had to be set. Thought I had tried it.

Formatted with 10.3 and booting PERFECTLY. Entire system is much faster.

Vroom vroom.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules