Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's using multi button mice?

Who's using multi button mice?
JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2003, 02:31 PM

And why doesn't Apple offer them?

(I don't want Logitech on my mouse but the Apple logo...)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2003, 02:33 PM

4 button + scroll whell MS intellimouse here.

And Apple should at least have a mouse with a right click and a scroll wheel, I mean cmon now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 1, 2003, 02:34 PM

I have a Logitech 2 button scroll mouse.

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 02:38 PM

Logitech three button scroll wheel mouse here...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

hayesk
Feb 1, 2003, 02:40 PM

Still use the one-button apple mouse here - the only time I want a three-button is if using a UNIX X-Windows app - which is not very often.

As for why Apple doesn't go to two-button - who knows? Probably a mixture of stubbornness, want the mouse to remain ridiculously easy (believe it or not, there are still newbies that still click the wrong button on multi-button mice), and the third party developers are filling the gap nicely. After all, a Logitech optical, two-button, scroll wheel, USB mouse can be bought for under $15.

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 1, 2003, 02:40 PM

i just got back from wal-mart where i got a ms wireless blue optical mouse. so far i love it!
Nothing is older than the idea of new

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2003, 03:20 PM

MS IntelliMouse Explorer. The scroll wheel and right clicked worked under Jaguar without installing any additional MS drivers. Can't live without the scroll and right click. And I can't tell you why Apple wasn't released a mouse like this. Pride, I guess.

Have you seen my pants?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 03:22 PM

Logitech Cordless Elite Duo keyboard and mouse; love it!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 1, 2003, 03:30 PM

yeah i am really diggin the right mouse button and the scroll wheel, i don't know how i ever went without!!!
Nothing is older than the idea of new

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 03:34 PM

Using Logitech MX-700 here to replace the original Apple USB mouse aka

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 03:37 PM

I have a MacAlly 2 button mouse, but lately I haven't been using it. The trackpad on my PB has been doing me fine.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 04:05 PM

Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse here.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2003, 04:06 PM

�22 from Tesco supermarket, it's badged as a Lindy, and is similar to the Crystal Mouse on www.dumpcomputers.com and www.colorcase.com , except that mine is white with a red wheel. I like it, it's a bit Apple Pro Mouse in it's design with the clear case, but I really find the right click and scroll wheel useful.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mindwaves
Feb 1, 2003, 04:15 PM

trackpad all of the way!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2003, 04:20 PM

3-button Contour Unimouse.

Apple doesn't need to offer them because they are inexpensive and any USB mouse will work (PC or Mac).

However, I'd love an Apple multi-button mouse too. I can see it being the best mouse we've ever seen.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2003, 04:26 PM

On by Beige G3, I use a four-button Kensington Turbo Mouse (actually a trackball, but who ever said marketing was logical when they names stuff?) On my TiBook, I use the trackpad. and a Griffin PowerMate.

Why does Apple still insist on a one-button mouse? It's a usability issue. Not because two buttons are "too confusing" for most users (though they are for many new users, as has been shown over and over again in studies).

The real reason is that, according to Apple's human interface guidelines, all of the functionality in an app must be accessible using only one mouse button. Other buttons can be used for convenient shortcuts, but nothing more. The one-button mouse which ships by default forces developers to keep this principle in mind, because a significant number of their users will only have one mouse button. On platforms where this isn't the case, most developers get lazy about this; I know, because I have fallen into that same trap once or twice. Probably the single worst offender in the history of the GUI is the 1.0.x branch of the GIMP, where the entire menu structure could only be accessed via rightclicking. They improved this somewhat in the 1.1.x line, though it's not much of an improvement; you access the menus through a tiny button in a corner of the window.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PAC-Rat
Feb 1, 2003, 04:30 PM

Logitech 2 button scroll mouse.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2003, 06:43 PM

Five button and scroll-wheel Kensington Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro, supported by Kensington's excellent MouseWorks software.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 06:50 PM

Logitech dual optical mouseman, it has 3 buttons, and 1 scrollwheel

I disabled the thumbbutton though, cant find a purpose for that one.

Apple is a dinosaur with their 1 buttoned mice. MS Office just NEEDS a 2 buttoned mouse. As does a good multiplayer RPG like unreal Tournament.

may I use this opportunity to express my disappointment about the standard apple keyboard as well? Keycaps (above shift) and HELP (near enter!!) buttons could be made less triggerhappy.

Who agrees huh?
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2003, 06:52 PM

Kensington Pro Studio Mouse.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by snotnose:
i just got back from wal-mart where i got a ms wireless blue optical mouse. so far i love it!
Got one for Xmas... Have been very impressed and now don't know how I lived without it! I keep trying to use the scroll wheel on the mice at Uni even though they don't have them!!

Wireless is great too, as I can just stick the little transmitter behind my mac, and can still use my mouse the other side of the room!

Apple should start making wireless mice and keyboards with the transmitter built into the machine... now that would be cool!!

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 07:36 PM

Intellimouse Explorer - so wish Apple would release wireless keyboard and wireless mulitbutton mice with scroll wheel - and in different sizes. I have a large hand and find small mice a pain.

And it'd be fantastic if Apple would re-release a natural keyboard. I used theirs for years until I got a USB Mac and then had to put up with the M$ variety

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2003, 07:43 PM

Loving it. The two side buttons are great for browsing web pages -- forward and backward!

I also have them setup to change songs in WinAmp when I push Alt+ one of the side buttons. Pretty sweet

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 08:01 PM

loving it. The two side buttons are great for browsing web pages -- forward and backward!

I also have them setup to change songs in winamp when i push alt+ one of the side buttons. Pretty sweet
welcome
( Last edited by micha schraven; Sep 12, 2011 at 05:00 AM. )
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

sworthy
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by as2:

Apple should start making wireless mice and keyboards with the transmitter built into the machine... now that would be cool!!

Adam
Bluetooth?

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
Bluetooth?
That's what I was thinking....

I use my mouse with X-tunes to control iTunes...

I've set it so that pressing the scroll whell brings up the controll, and then I can just change track etc. while running other applications fullscreen.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by micha schraven:
Logitech dual optical mouseman, it has 3 buttons, and 1 scrollwheel

I disabled the thumbbutton though, cant find a purpose for that one.

Apple is a dinosaur with their 1 buttoned mice. MS Office just NEEDS a 2 buttoned mouse. As does a good multiplayer RPG like unreal Tournament.

may I use this opportunity to express my disappointment about the standard apple keyboard as well? Keycaps (above shift) and HELP (near enter!!) buttons could be made less triggerhappy.

Who agrees huh?
Thanks for reminding me that my mouse has a thumb button, I completely forgot!

Now I can go back to ignoring it...

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 10:25 PM

Logitech MX700. This is my 2nd wireless mouse, I could never go back to a corded one.

I haven't used an Apple 1-button mouse since late 1999 on any computer of mine.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2003, 10:29 PM

I use whatever I have, and am hoping, maybe someday, I can standardize on mice + keyboards for all of my computers.

Right now I can't afford to do that

So I have a pro mouse/keyboard on my g4 (both plugged into back of monitor), I used to have a 'crystal' mouse but I dunno what happened to that

I want an MX700 really
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 10:58 PM

I use one of these too. Ambidextrous so the whole family can use it. How can people web surf without a scroll wheel?

Anyone still using a one button mouse is an idiot.

I have spoken.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Thanks for reminding me that my mouse has a thumb button, I completely forgot!

Now I can go back to ignoring it...
I have mine set to ctrl-w to close windows/tabs.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 02:31 AM

MS Optical Explorer here. Best mouse ever. I've had it for over 3 years, and I always slam it around when I get mad at the comp (which happens often) and it works perfectly.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 02:34 AM

See I happen to think that there's some things that don't exactly belong on a mouse, for me I use it to move to spots and then do whatever with the keyboard.

Pretty soon someone's going to try making a mouseboard
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cipher13
Feb 2, 2003, 03:00 AM

I still believe that if a person is confused by having two buttons on a mouse, they shouldn't be using electrical goods.

I have a 3 button USB mouse for gaming, a wireless 2 button/scroll mouse, and a two button optical trackball, which is my main mouse.

The trackball and wireless are hooked up simultaneously.

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:
MS Optical Explorer here. Best mouse ever. I've had it for over 3 years, and I always slam it around when I get mad at the comp (which happens often) and it works perfectly.
Worst mouse ever.

I had one for 6 months, then it started randomly losing power / not moving the cursor. So after many calls to MS customer "service" I got them to send me a new one. 3 months later, I had my second dead mouse. At this point I got them to give me my money back, and I've been Logitech ever since.

Was nice when it worked (though on the bulky side) but in my experience, was of horrible quality. I'm glad yours works well for you though.

Thrax
Banned
Feb 2, 2003, 03:49 AM

IntelliMouse Explorer (older version)

As for Apple not including a multi-button mouse: if Tog says that Apple should do it, they should.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 04:51 AM

2x Microsoft Intellipoint (the 5 buttons + wheel version) and one macally two buttons + wheel. I appreciate the GUI design sensibilities forced upon developers by default one-button mice, but hate them myself.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by JohnD:
And why doesn't Apple offer them?

(I don't want Logitech on my mouse but the Apple logo...)
Apple are purists. You just have to learn to use your left hand to modify your clicks. It makes for a more engaging experience anyway. Like a guitar, the left hand does the 'chords', the right hand does the 'strumming'.

If Apple didn't make a one button mouse, then no one would, which would be a shame for those of us that actually prefer them.

OS X has full built-in support for multi-button mice, so - go buy one - and enjoy.

You can always put one of those Apple stickers on your mouse if the Logitech logo offends.
e-gads

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 2, 2003, 07:25 AM

Bah! Apple Pro Mouse. I love it.

DNA man
Senior User
Feb 2, 2003, 07:29 AM

I use the M$ Intellimouse. I love the extra buttons. But most of all I love the scroll wheel. I can't understand why Apple does not at least have a mouse with a scroll wheel.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2003, 09:30 AM

Logitech MX500 wheel Mouse. It has 2 thumb buttons which I find fantastic for web surfing, and the scrool wheel is more responsive and acurate than the Microsoft models.

Bought a MS Mouse before this, took it home used it for an Hour and took it back to get the Logitech. I kept right clicking all the time, unitentionally due to the design of the buttons.

Logitech do it and do it right. + It matches so well with my powerbook.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
On by Beige G3, I use a four-button Kensington Turbo Mouse (actually a trackball, but who ever said marketing was logical when they names stuff?)
Best trackball ever, IMHO. I'm actually using one with my new iMac at work, all buttons and chords work perfectly through an iMate - Kensington's OS X drivers recognize it, even if this one's quite old.

Having grown to love scrollwheel on mice, I wasn't sure about switching back to it, but then I found I can turn the trackball into a scrollball with a button click/chord.

J

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 01:05 PM

apple pro mouse and a powermate for scrolling and whatnot*

go on. click it.

* whatnot=just ****ing sitting there looking cool.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 01:38 PM

Using one of these bad boys for the past several years (and still works perfectly):

If I upgrade the B&W G3, it has to be replaced though, since it's ADB.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by thirsty:
Logitech MX500 wheel Mouse. It has 2 thumb buttons which I find fantastic for web surfing, and the scrool wheel is more responsive and acurate than the Microsoft models.

Bought a MS Mouse before this, took it home used it for an Hour and took it back to get the Logitech. I kept right clicking all the time, unitentionally due to the design of the buttons.

Logitech do it and do it right. + It matches so well with my powerbook.
Hey, you said what I was going to say.
Seriously, I love my Logitech MX500. I, too had MS Intellimouse, I also had a Logitech Cordless Mouse but, wireless just doesn't work as well as with a cord for me. So that's why I went w/ the MX500 instead of the MX700. I love that I can use the thumb buttons to "forward" and "back" while I'm surfing the web. It also allows me to "forward" and "back" in iTunes, iPhotos. Simply awesome!

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 03:37 PM

My mouse is bigger, better and meaner than yours!!

http://www.xlr8.com/ProductInfo/point&scroll/index.php3

I have used this for several years now and cant imagine why I should try another. Two buttons plus a scroll wheel are really very useful than a single button mouse. Apple is wierd sometimes..
( Last edited by FulcrumPilot; Feb 2, 2003 at 03:43 PM. )
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 2, 2003, 05:43 PM

+1 For Logitech - am well pleased with my plain old wheel mouse with scroller.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

I use one of these too. Ambidextrous so the whole family can use it. How can people web surf without a scroll wheel?

Anyone still using a one button mouse is an idiot.

I have spoken.
Me Three.
Although I do miss my lolipop mouse from my G3. Am I th only person in the world who .liked it.

It was chunky and heavy and once you got the hang of throwing it across the desk you could croll more accurately through a web page than with a scroll-wheel mouse.

Although it did make my hands sore.

Actually i think i'll stik with M$

*cough*

sambeau
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 08:15 PM

Wht iz ip wth mi 5tipimg?

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by micha schraven:
THATS REALLY SWEET STEVE, BUT IN CASE YOU HAVENT NOTICED THIS IS AN APPLE MAC FORUM

djeez
OMG DJEEZ!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I'M SO SORRY I POSTED ABOUT A PC IN A MAC FORUM OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!111 I BROKE THE RULES!!!!!!!!!1111

BAN ME!!!!!!!!!11

(Did I just hit a sore point, or are you angry that I have a PC and you don't or something?)

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules