Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you carry a knife?

Do you carry a knife? (Page 2)
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
If you pull a knife in a fist-fight, then YOU are the criminal you're trying to defend yourself from!

What besson said.

Almost, I wouldn't say anything stupid like that before I leave!
Who said anything about pulling a knife in a fist fight? I didn't, and I haven't been in a fist fight in over 50 years. You're the one who brought up the fist fight analogy.

What if you don't have the option to leave? Again, you're making absolute statements, and the world isn't absolute; it's shades of grey. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean others haven't, or might not. That's the point, which I'm sure you'll miss, because everything that doesn't fit your compartmentalized little world is "stupid."
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2012, 12:42 PM

Almost, I wouldn't say anything stupid like that before I leave!
Something along the lines of "Is that Lady Gaga?" While pointing over your attackers shoulder might not be a bad idea.

Or maybe "Don't shoot officer!" while looking past them and raising your hands.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Who said anything about pulling a knife in a fist fight? I didn't, and I haven't been in a fist fight in over 50 years.
Knife fight: More or less likely? Go!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 01:24 PM

If you have a knife, knife fight.

finboy
Jan 30, 2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Do you carry a knife? I mean, I'm not talking about a Swiss Army type knife, although I like those. I'm referring to something larger. I think I'd like to start carrying one. Just cuz - hopefully I'd never have to use it for anything other than utilitarian purposes.

I'd carry a gun, but I live in a state that doesn't recognize my Constitutional right to do such a thing.
For cutting seat belts I carry a SOG with a seat belts slot. Every day. I don't leave the house without a seat belt knife on my person.

If you've ever been cut out of seat belts you'll understand why.

Of course it would be handy in a knife fight, but I'll never need it for that. Gun >> knife >> foot >> fist >> dirty look.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 01:57 PM

So you pack heat then?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted for truth

Living in a state of paranoia is no way to live, so why live afraid of what could happen?
I couldn't imagine living in fear of being attacked. I live in Canada's most crime ridden city and I still feel safe even on skid row. It really is not ever a thought about having a weapon on me.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 02:32 PM

There is something to be said for American news media being fear based. There is a lot of stuff out there to be afraid of.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sounds like you were ill-prepared for the rigors of daily life before.
Well, it's nice to carry around one small thing that does the work of 3, 4, or 10 other instruments.

The latter two sound like shit you'd do when you're bored out of your skull or OCD.
They add up.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2012, 02:54 PM

I used to carry a swiss army knife, it was very useful. But now I rarely go anyplace that doesn't have scissors or regular knives handy.

For self-defense I'd rather have mace.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 02:58 PM

Do you know any guys that carry mace?

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2012, 03:05 PM

Nope. Perhaps because it's illegal to carry without a permit?

Mace | City of Boston

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 03:17 PM

I do.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2012, 03:19 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 04:04 PM

It seems like for self defense purposes mace would be superior to a knife, but I've never heard of a guy carrying around mace, I guess because it is not masculine, and the manner in which we defend ourselves has to be masculine?

I'm sure that there are far fewer women carrying around non-mace weapons too, cause that would be butch.

Where do bazookas fall on the masculinity scale? Have any of you guys ever fired one?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 04:22 PM

Funny thing here is that mace and pepper spray is illegal here while technically a knife isn't making a knife a better option.

This thread makes me think of one thing though..

You call that a knife.

finboy
Jan 30, 2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
For cutting seat belts I carry a SOG with a seat belt slot. Every day. I don't leave the house without a seat belt knife on my person.

If you've ever been cut out of seat belts you'll understand why.

Of course it would be handy in a knife fight, but I'll never need it for that. Gun >> knife >> foot >> fist >> dirty look.
I don't usually carry a gun these days. Regardless of Texas' concealed handgun license, it's tough to pull off if you are following the rules - no guns in stores, at work, etc. Plus, the law holds you MORE accountable if you have a CHL.

But I'll never get in a knife fight, either, because the crook is liable to pull a gun. A knife fight still requires physicality that I probably don't have. Flight is much easier.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Where do bazookas fall on the masculinity scale? Have any of you guys ever fired one?
Masculine yes, but not very practical in close combat.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
A cheap Primos folder.....and a Glock 19.
I prefer a GLOCK 21 on the hip, and a Ruger LCP on the ankle.

Back on topic, I do carry Nail Clippers.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Nope. Perhaps because it's illegal to carry without a permit?

Mace | City of Boston
I remember from back in my college days both blades longer than 7" and double edged blades were illegal.

Of course, so was pot, and we had that too.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2012, 10:46 PM

I found it incredibly silly that what my dad was able to just walk into a Maine police supply store and buy, you needed a permit for in Boston.

That was also a long time ago.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Quoted for truth

I couldn't imagine living in fear of being attacked. I live in Canada's most crime ridden city and I still feel safe even on skid row. It really is not ever a thought about having a weapon on me.
It has nothing to do with a "fear of being attacked". But we are getting into PL material and off topic.

On topic, I carry a Benchmade folder.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 05:24 AM

Who said anything about pulling a knife in a fist fight? I didn't, and I haven't been in a fist fight in over 50 years. You're the one who brought up the fist fight analogy.
Yes, YOU did!
In my first post, I was addressing the foolish idea of carrying a knife for self-defense and brought up different analogies to make my point.
You decided to answer to my fist-fight analogy in a way which made it pretty clear that you don't agree that a knife (or any other pontentally lethal weapon) shouldn't be involved!
What if you don't have the option to leave?
No option to leave a knife-fight??? Then it's either already to late to defend yourself anyway or defending youself with a knife is not a very brilliant idea...

Again, you're making absolute statements, and the world isn't absolute; it's shades of grey. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean others haven't, or might not. That's the point, which I'm sure you'll miss, because everything that doesn't fit your compartmentalized little world is "stupid."
Of course I'm making absolute statements about how stupid it is to carry a knife for self-defense...because that's my opinion about this crazy idea! There are no shades of grey in my own opinion here!
I agree though that the world isn't absolute...

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 07:17 AM

I don't know what could be construed as stupid about it. It's not a gun, and you don't have great range with it, but it can still be a deadly weapon. Why do special forces carry them and train to use them in close quarters combat if they're so dumb for such purposes?

Also Brock Samson fights with a giant knife, which is well known. I rest my case.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2012, 07:59 AM

You ride a bike to work? Are you sure you're a Republican? Hahaha, I'm joking I'm joking.
Weather permitting, I like to ride.

Otherwise my daily driver is the ever eco-conscious Jeep Wrangler Sport.
ebuddy

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
On topic, I carry a Benchmade folder.
which one?
one post closer to five stars

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 08:37 AM

I always write long posts for these kinds of threads but then never post them - I've got one in my clipboard right now.

Problem is, I always feel like a Hell's Angel at a tea party. Don't wanna scare you ladies.

<insert fight club stories here>

... so, to sum up, I carried a knife when I felt I needed to. Turns out I was right.

These days I am relatively secure in my life. I don't have any crazy violent assholes after me. Sure, I have a big stabby knife on my desk in front of me now, but it's just for opening boxes. And it stays on the desk.

Smith & Wesson. lol.

Hardly any blood on it at all.

It's the baseball bat in the bedroom closet that's reserved for any bad guys.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2012, 08:45 AM

I don't know what could be construed as stupid about it.
You're escalating the conflict and put yourself in harms way, that's what is stupid about it.
Why do special forces carry them and train to use them in close quarters combat if they're so dumb for such purposes?
… because none of us are special forces guys -- not just in terms of abilities and training, but also when it comes to the legal framework.

Back on topic: I have a Swiss army knife, the model they used to use in the Swiss army. It's been with me for over 10 years and still works like a charm.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You're escalating the conflict and put yourself in harms way, that's what is stupid about it.
What if you're already in harm's way?

It was one of your hippy gurus - Art Garfunkel - who sang "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail".

If he could, he surely would.

Now would you let Art Garfunkel bang you?

I rest my case.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 08:56 AM

Why do special forces carry them and train to use them in close quarters combat if they're so dumb for such purposes?
They don't make noise.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
It's the baseball bat in the bedroom closet that's reserved for any bad guys.
My bedroom is not up to code (no windows), so I happen to have a fire axe under my bed in case the worst happens.

Or if there's a fire.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 09:03 AM

Okay it turns out Paul Simon was singing the main vocals on that track, and Art Garfunkel was only singing backup.

But now you're gonna get banged by a backup singer, and that's even worse.

No, don't whine. Now you're Art Garfunkel's bitch. You bought a nail to a hammer fight.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:03 AM

Btw, in case anyone is unclear, I'd only resort to a weapon-any weapon-for defensive purposes as a last resort. I live in a safe area, and I'm not blade or trigger happy. But I also don't think it's foolish to recognize the potential defensive uses of knives, guns and other such implements.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:09 AM

Btw, in case anyone is unclear, I'd only resort to a weapon-any weapon-for defensive purposes as a last resort. I'm not blade or trigger happy. But I also don't think it's foolish to recognize the potential defensive uses of knives or guns.
Here's the deal:

It takes months of training to be any good with a knife.

You'd be safer without a knife than having a knife and thinking you know how to use it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here's the deal:

It takes months of training to be any good with a knife.

You'd be safer without a knife than having a knife and thinking you know how to use it.
The pointy end goes in. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. If you're holding the pointy end, you're doing it wrong.

I once disarmed a nutter with a carving knife by grabbing the blade. He was going after his girlfriend and I grabbed it as he ran past. Cut my hand up pretty good.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:24 AM

You're quite the bad ass, Face Ache! I don't think I'd do the same given a similar situation, especially not for a stranger. I also imagine I'd look to sweep the legs instead of grabbing the pointy end.

I agree with your assessment though. I don't think you have to train with a knife to get essential use out of it. It's a simple point and stab/slash interface.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:24 AM

I once disarmed a nutter with a carving knife by grabbing the blade. He was going after his girlfriend and I grabbed it as he ran past. Cut my hand up pretty good.
Precisely my point. Most normal people wouldn't try this maneuver.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 09:30 AM

You're quite the bad ass, Face Ache! I don't think I'd do the same given a similar situation, especially not for a stranger. I also imagine I'd look to sweep the legs instead of grabbing the pointy end.
Actually I was just kinda drunk and did it without thinking.

Aforementioned nutter hung himself a month later.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:41 AM

I agree with your assessment though. I don't think you have to train with a knife to get essential use out of it. It's a simple point and stab/slash interface.
So's my fist.

I can get essential use out of it without training, but as I lack said training I wouldn't actually try except in the most desperate situations.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2012, 09:48 AM

What if you're already in harm's way?
Then you should run away if you can.

Of course, you can always make up a situation where violence is inevitable. Where you then give me the choice between being backed into a corner unarmed or with a knife in my right hand. As a weapon of last resort, a knife would be useful, yes (so would a number of other objects, e. g. my 80-200 mm Nikkor which converts my D7000 into a 2.2 kg high-tech club). But if you want to minimize bodily harm, backing out is the more sensible option.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 09:52 AM

On a different board I hang out on, one of the members, who was homeless for a spell, defended himself with one of those oversized barbecue spatulas. The kind with the teeth.

He said its main benefits, past being a rather vicious weapon, is that the cops wouldn't confiscate it the way they might a knife, and it would startle anyone he pulled it on, which he said gave him the necessary advantage on more than one occasion.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 02:07 PM

Btw, in case anyone is unclear, I'd only resort to a weapon-any weapon-for defensive purposes as a last resort. I live in a safe area, and I'm not blade or trigger happy. But I also don't think it's foolish to recognize the potential defensive uses of knives, guns and other such implements.
I think the biggest mistake people make by having weapons in a house for self defense is not training with the weapons. Having it is not enough. Knowing how to use it is very important. Its why I spend at least one day a week at the range making sure my skills are good if the day ever came I needed to use a gun in self defense. If some one isn't going to commit to training I don't think they should have the weapon because when they go to use it they very well could end up dead where as if they didn't have it they might just get robbed or raped but still be living the next day. But knives and guns absolutely have a defensive use, but a lot of people lack the defensive training to use it defensively and foolishly think just having it is enough.

I've just recently started training my 12 year old Cuz with firearms. Untitled on Vimeo I still need to actually train with a knife. Part of the reason I don't see a knife for self defense for myself because I have not trained in self defense with one yet.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 02:18 PM

The pointy end goes in. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. If you're holding the pointy end, you're doing it wrong.

With out the training that knife you think you are using to defend yourself with can easily be used to end your own life by some one with some training. Its a good thing most criminals don't have any training and pretty stupid. But that's not always the case in a road rage incident or at a bar fight. A friend who was in the regular forces for 6 years demonstrated on me how easy it was for some one to turn the knife I am holding into something sticking out of my own chest in a matter of seconds. Besides if you learn the skills to use a knife in combat you also pick up the skills to take a knife from some one else.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Meh.

Risk management ≠ risk elimination
Actually, Risk Management is about knowing when to walk away.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2012, 05:03 PM

You're no Chuck Norris, but apparently you think you are.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2012, 05:09 PM

You've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away... know when to run.

beb
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2012, 05:59 PM

I carry a revolver. (Smith and Wesson model 29)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 07:31 PM

Yes, YOU did!
In my first post, I was addressing the foolish idea of carrying a knife for self-defense and brought up different analogies to make my point.
You decided to answer to my fist-fight analogy in a way which made it pretty clear that you don't agree that a knife (or any other pontentally lethal weapon) shouldn't be involved!
No option to leave a knife-fight??? Then it's either already to late to defend yourself anyway or defending youself with a knife is not a very brilliant idea...

Of course I'm making absolute statements about how stupid it is to carry a knife for self-defense...because that's my opinion about this crazy idea! There are no shades of grey in my own opinion here!
I agree though that the world isn't absolute...
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it? I said nothing about a fist fight until you brought it up. All I said was I carry a knife, and then you said that carrying a knife for self defense is stupid. I then pointed out some of the flaws in your logic, and then replied that no one had brought the subject up until you did.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're no Chuck Norris, but apparently you think you are.
I'm nothing like Chuck Norris. More like Batman!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 10:47 PM

I'm nothing like Chuck Norris. More like Batman!
Bat paint is horribly nasty, have you ever come across it? I hope you are Batman minus the bat paints.

Forum Links
Forum Rules