Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Flickr removing Google, Facebook log-in options from end of June

Flickr removing Google, Facebook log-in options from end of June
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 6, 2014, 02:37 PM

Yahoo is going to remove the ability to sign into Flickr using a Google or Facebook account at the end of this month. E-mails have been sent to users of the photo hosting service warning them that they will be forced to log in using only a Yahoo ID from June 30th, as part of a wider move by Yahoo away from third-party authentication to just using its own account system.

Flickr users who log in using Facebook or Google will be diverted to a new page warning of the change, reports The Next Web. The page will prompt users to sign in one more time using their normal log-in options, followed by either creating a new Yahoo ID or connecting an existing account to the service.

Yahoo announced its change in policy in March, with the company planning to shift all of Yahoo's services away from providing Facebook and Google log-in options over a one-year period. "Yahoo is continually working on improving the user experience," according to a company statement at the time, adding that the new focus on Yahoo ID will "offer the best personalized experience to everyone."

The first service migrated was the NCAA college basketball tournament portal Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick'Em.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 6, 2014 at 03:12 PM. )

Eric.Woehler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2014, 04:19 PM

Created a new yahoo email just for existing Flickr acct. Was unable to link existing Flickr acct with c.80+ images with "new" Yahoo email login. Yahoo forums suggest MANY more suffering the same issue of linking new Yahoo with previous Flickr acct. Yahoo's suggestion was a phone call to service staff - not practical from Australia, so I did what many others are doing - deleted Flickr account and now looking for alternative, such as 500px.com

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2014, 09:50 PM

I hate how Yahoo forces you to create a Yahoo email account just to use Flickr. Why can't I use my regular email as my user name like EVERY SINGLE OTHER SERVICE. Why do I have to create an email account I will never use (and barely remember) just to use an app or a web site? Worse, Yahoo has been around for centuries, so all the good email accounts have been gone since the late 90's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules