Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Supply chain 'ramping up' components for second-gen iPad Air

Supply chain 'ramping up' components for second-gen iPad Air
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 3, 2014, 11:58 AM

Supply firms are ramping up production for the second-generation iPad Air, sources say. The people indicate that touch panel makers like TPK and GIS are receiving Apple orders for full-lamination units. Sharp, Japan Display, and LG Display -- typically believed to be the tablet's main LCD suppliers -- are also reportedly receiving an uptick in orders, but for the iPhone.

The sources add that while screen size and resolution are unchanged, the new Air should have a Touch ID sensor, a faster processor, and a slightly thinner body. That would be consistent with rumors, which have suggested that Apple is only planning minor changes to the iPad lineup this year. The focus of Apple's fall launches is expected to be on larger iPhones and the iWatch.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 4, 2014 at 05:03 AM. )

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2014, 04:11 PM

Man, Apple is just going out of it's way to make a bunch of stuff this year that I have no use for at all.

Anyone who *doesn't* want a bigger phone, or actually uses an iPad for work, has basically no reason to buy anything from Apple this year. The phones are all focussed on "bigger" at the expense of all other innovations, and the iPads don't appear to be innovative (or basically hardly any different) at all this year.

Given pent up demand for a bigger phone, sales-wise, this will be one of Apple's biggest years for sure. However design-wise, and innovation-wise, this will be Apple's biggest FAIL year ever.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2014, 02:28 AM

How odd. I use an iPad for work, and I'm *definitely* strongly interested in what they're introducing.

Touch ID, an A8 and slightly thinner and lighter than an iPad Air? I'm buying one to replace my iPad 2.

Don't mistake not needing something yourself for "boring". You're not the center of the world, nor even of Apple's market demographic. They won't need you to sell dozens of millions of each of those devices.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2014, 09:24 AM

Gazoobee, if you could have Apple make one thing that you would buy this year, what would that thing be?

Forum Links
Forum Rules