Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Frustrated by "Ergonomics"

Frustrated by "Ergonomics"
selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 04:10 PM

I'm very fed up with all the traditional advice about computer ergonomics, specifically with regard to office chairs. I've tried the whole knees and elbows at 90°, top-of-monitor at eye level, wrists in neutral position thing and it seems to do nothing to slow the growing pain in my neck and shoulders, even with the aid of a $400 computer chair.

I need to be at my computer for work many hours in the day but I cannot afford to be in pain. I have started going to tbe gym and doing lat pulldowns to strengthen my trapezius, which does seem to help a bit, and I'm trying to do as many neck-relaxing stretches as I can. But the basic problem remains.

Does anybody else struggle with this? Any advice or experiences?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2006, 04:12 PM

I just sit in lots of different odd positions, whatever feels comfortable at the moment. Sitting in one "optimal" position makes me sorer than moving around.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I just sit in lots of different odd positions, whatever feels comfortable at the moment. Sitting in one "optimal" position makes me sorer than moving around.
I've heard that, too. There are some chairs that claim to move with you, but they are obscenely expensive. There's also the fairly absurd-looking ball chair that many folks swear by. They say it forces you to develop balance, align your spine, and strengthen your back and abdominal muscles in our to sit on it. But experts are divided as to whether or not that's a good approach. There's the saddle chair whose rationale seems similarly plausible, but how do I know if it's right for my body?

Of course, everybody touts their product as the ultimate solution. Objective information is hard to find, and most doctors (even chiropractors) don't necessarily know what to recommend.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 04:32 PM

I've used the cheapest chairs and some of the most expensive. All will give you neck/back pain if you don't relax when you use them.

I've found the the further I sit from the screen the lower the risk for neck/back strain. Also taking frequent breaks from doing the same thing helps.

I used to sit in front of a computer doing CAD work for 10+ hours a day for a few years. I used to place post-it notes around my screen telling me to relax my shoulders or to stand up. Eventually they became invisible, but you get the point I hope.

NOTE: I AM NO EXPERT!!! Just offering my experience. YMMV.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I've used the cheapest chairs and some of the most expensive. All will give you neck/back pain if you don't relax when you use them.
Makes sense. But I think a lot of ergonomic chairs actually encourage you to tense up and be relatively rigid, which seems to me is a recipe for disaster.
Originally Posted by Railroader
I've found the the further I sit from the screen the lower the risk for neck/back strain. Also taking frequent breaks from doing the same thing helps.
Now that's one I haven't heard.

What about working in a reclined position with a VESA-mounted display?

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 07:28 PM

I've had the back and shoulder problems for the past 15 years. Plus carpal tunnel surgery. The best advise I've ever got is to NOT sit too long in one position. Taking a break every half hour just to move around. Also I found sitting with my chair high helps also.
But I'm no expert .. I still have the pains .. Once you get on the computer you want to get things done and you tend to get "into" too much to want to get up. The chairs don't help that much.

f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Any advice or experiences?

You need a massage/physical therapy table. Slide your laptop under the face hole, lie down on the sumptuous padded surface, and then work to your heart's content. Just be sure not to fall asleep and drool all over your keyboard.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you become atrophied, overweight, or unemployed.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
You need a massage/physical therapy table. Slide your laptop under the face hole, lie down on the sumptuous padded surface, and then work to your heart's content. Just be sure not to fall asleep and drool all over your keyboard.
LOL. Sounds good to me, man!
Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you become atrophied
Too late.
...overweight
Too late.
....or unemployed.
I wish. As long as I can be independently wealthy.

BTW, has anybody tried working in a recliner with a laptop? Could it possibly help with neck pain (if the laptop is positioned correctly?
( Last edited by selowitch; Sep 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules