Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Show us your website, love

Show us your website, love (Page 2)
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
http://mike.cosentino.com

blog, message board, and my flash/drawings page is being worked on.
Does this stuff render correctly on IE5.5/6 ? (the transparency). I'm using something like that on my new site but I wonder if it renders correctly on IEWin. It doesn't in IE5.2 on the Mac.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Does this stuff render correctly on IE5.5/6 ? (the transparency). I'm using something like that on my new site but I wonder if it renders correctly on IEWin. It doesn't in IE5.2 on the Mac.
Nope, it doesn't. And it can't, really, because IE:Win supports neither fixed positioning (for anything other than backgrounds) nor PNG transparency. So instead, the whole header section just scrolls with the rest of the page.

But I don't really get why you point IE6 to a different archive than Firefox? I mean, you call them "mac" and "win" respectively, but shouldn't it be possible to make one layout that works in both IE6 and not-IE6 (I checked the mac version in IE6, eeps!)?

(Just checked the mac version in Opera:Win too... there's something very funky there... when I scroll down, the mdc logo moves downwards on the screen [ie. the opposite direction of everything else]??? How on earth did you achieve this?)

The archives menu is a little quirky on Firefox... you have to enter the triggering area (ie. the word "Archives") sideways, otherwise the menu content just flickers for a split second and then disappears again. (I'm too lazy/tired to dig in the sources/codes to find out what's causing it)

Anyway, the site looks awesome regardless. All this is just minor details.

Edit: BTW, why is the June 11th entry only there on the mac version, not the win version

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Nope, it doesn't. And it can't, really, because IE:Win supports neither fixed positioning (for anything other than backgrounds) nor PNG transparency. So instead, the whole header section just scrolls with the rest of the page.

But I don't really get why you point IE6 to a different archive than Firefox? I mean, you call them "mac" and "win" respectively, but shouldn't it be possible to make one layout that works in both IE6 and not-IE6 (I checked the mac version in IE6, eeps!)?

(Just checked the mac version in Opera:Win too... there's something very funky there... when I scroll down, the mdc logo moves downwards on the screen [ie. the opposite direction of everything else]??? How on earth did you achieve this?)

The archives menu is a little quirky on Firefox... you have to enter the triggering area (ie. the word "Archives") sideways, otherwise the menu content just flickers for a split second and then disappears again. (I'm too lazy/tired to dig in the sources/codes to find out what's causing it)

Anyway, the site looks awesome regardless. All this is just minor details.

Edit: BTW, why is the June 11th entry only there on the mac version, not the win version
It's not my site mate

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 06:13 AM

It's not my site mate
Yeah, I know - somewhere in that post (possible in the middle of a sentence), I switched from talking to you to talking to mdc...

This would have been more obvious if I had somehow made it more obvious. Yes.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 08:00 AM

http://www.headonaplate.com

The newsfeed of our short movie company. 4 of our shorts can be viewed there. Feel free to comment on the movies or subscribe to the monthly newsletter.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 02:03 PM

My work in progress.

Just started working on it a few days ago. I'm still designing the look and structure.

paully dub  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 02:58 PM

My work in progress.

Just started working on it a few days ago. I'm still designing the look and structure.
You can do better than that! Don't make me start telling Belgian jokes!

Adopt-A-Yankee

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 03:01 PM

Here is my blog... http://blog.scottpatterson.com

I use wordpress... its probably the best blogging program I've found.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
You can do better than that! Don't make me start telling Belgian jokes!
What do you mean ? The site isn't finished. Just some stuff I'm trying out.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Here is my blog... http://blog.scottpatterson.com

I use wordpress... its probably the best blogging program I've found.
Finally another WP'er! Everybody here seems to be MT'ers! Well, except for you, me and a certain Purple Giant who stalked me all the way over to the WP support forums

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 04:28 PM

Finally another WP'er! Everybody here seems to be MT'ers! Well, except for you, me and a certain Purple Giant who stalked me all the way over to the WP support forums
Word press is amazing. There is nothing to it. I remember MT was a pain in the butt for me. Yeah, your right no one is on the WP bandwagon. To me MT is a waste of time, too difficult to use for me. PHP is more solid.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
bob.kicks-ass.org

random bitching, projects, p0rn^H^H^H^Hphotos and all around random ****.
add a ~rachael for me
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 08:07 PM

TalesMUD - my MUD/IRC site cool place to hang out (Gallery Link )

iPod Linux for OS X users site - Distributions and tools to make using ipod linux on your ipod JUUUUST a little easier

Zelda kicks ass - my weblog -- quiet but I'll be updating it (and it's layout) very soon

SuperZetroid - A gaming site I do half the work on (pretty much all the layout work) -- it's been bouncing in and out of construction (new site will eb up soon)

I'm working on a site for a few friends of mine that will be up soon, so that link comes soon
Aloha

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 09:09 PM

OreoCookie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:51 PM

www.max-goes-to-japan.net

It doesn't work properly with IE on PC, because I prefer to have standards-compliant CSS code (no position: fixed, problems with width and height definitions, etc.).

On Opera (latest versions, Mozilla, Safari and KHTML browsers, it works fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 02:12 AM

I would never stalk anyone that wasn't female and good looking.

My site: www.jeremyburge.com - includes photos, movies, blog and other random stuff about me.

Business site: www.jbinteractive.net.au - hosting, web design, all that.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 02:20 AM

All the rage behind movable type makes me laugh. I use pmachine which really isn't all too great but it's served me well AND it's good ole PHP

Gotta check out wordpress one of these days thanks for the suggestion
Aloha

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
I would never stalk anyone that wasn't female and good looking.
Aww, and I'd just gotten all my hopes up...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 05:22 AM

gorgeousity.com link is in my sig,

icons, links and pizza.
no politics or sex allowed.

FYI "Gorgeousity" was a word made up my Anthony Burgess in "A Clockwork Orange".

Looking to add a message board (I'm on a .mac account) any ideas?

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Looking to add a message board (I'm on a .mac account) any ideas?
I could be wrong, but I would be almost positive that this would be impossible on .Mac since it doesn't support any kind of scripting such as PHP

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Link:

Gotta check out wordpress one of these days thanks for the suggestion
Wordpress is excellent. Takes about 5 minutes to install, all you have to do is edit one file with your database settings and you're in. Complete CSS control, very nice interface, fast. Photoblog plug-ins available, open source with a very active developer base.

Did I mention that it's free?

We use Typepad for the company blog because it's just incredibly painless to set up and run but for private use I like to be able to delve into the guts of the app.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Wordpress is excellent. Takes about 5 minutes to install, all you have to do is edit one file with your database settings and you're in. Complete CSS control, very nice interface, fast. Photoblog plug-ins available, open source with a very active developer base.

Did I mention that it's free?

We use Typepad for the company blog because it's just incredibly painless to set up and run but for private use I like to be able to delve into the guts of the app.
I really don't think there is anything better than wordpress. 5 min "easy" install even newbies can do.

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 01:13 PM

Work : Me Work Site

Play : Me Play Site

Me work site is about me work. Me play site is something that was conjured up with the creation of iMovie and a low-cost DV camcorder a couple of years ago. Sometimes me work site is me play site. But never is me play site me work site.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by slimshady023:
Your work site is an absolute dream to navigate, and very smoothly done (apart from the horribly long loading times, but that probably has more to do with my internet than your site). I love it.

However, the contact page is screwed up on Windows! In FireFox, Netscape and Opera, all the input fields (name, e-mail, website, and message) stretch way beyond the screen (like 500 px outside the box they're supposed to be inside) and makes vertical scrollbars, and in Opera the "Send it" button is halfway underneath the box.

In IE6, the fields don't stretch over the edge of the box; instead, it stretches the box to be much too wide, and the fields are placed underneath the menu on the left.

Everything else on the site looks perfect in all browsers, as far as I can tell, but something's gone wrong in the contact page... Just letting you know in case you weren't aware

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 02:16 PM

Here: My Website

Just a personal blog. It sucks and I hate it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
Here: My Website

Just a personal blog. It sucks and I hate it.
Cool haircuts

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

Your work site is an absolute dream to navigate, and very smoothly done (apart from the horribly long loading times, but that probably has more to do with my internet than your site). I love it.

However, the contact page is screwed up on Windows! In FireFox, Netscape and Opera, all the input fields (name, e-mail, website, and message) stretch way beyond the screen (like 500 px outside the box they're supposed to be inside) and makes vertical scrollbars, and in Opera the "Send it" button is halfway underneath the box.

In IE6, the fields don't stretch over the edge of the box; instead, it stretches the box to be much too wide, and the fields are placed underneath the menu on the left.

Everything else on the site looks perfect in all browsers, as far as I can tell, but something's gone wrong in the contact page... Just letting you know in case you weren't aware
Thanks for the compliments. As well, a great thank you for taking the time and explaining that browser problem. I was completely unaware and blindsided by it!

The multi-line input field had been defaulting to a courier font on Windows. So, I added a simple class style to the input fields containing font information. Unfortunately, I had used that class name earlier in something with box properties. Arghh! The ignorance of me! Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

By the way, you have a very nice site at eithne.dk. It has a easy and structured navigation, and warm and welcoming appearance. Very fitting for the artist it represents.

See ya around!

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jun 19, 2004, 04:39 PM

Figured I had to do something with the space seeing as that I'm paying for it: http://homepage.mac.com/alphamatrix/

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 09:42 PM

Play : Me Play Site
Awesome sites dude I try to keep my own sites/ideas super clean but that will take me a while to catch up to

It flows nicely and the design examples are sweet thanks for sharing
Aloha

GoldenHammer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2004, 09:49 PM

The site was setup initially for my personal gallery, but it now growth to a community with members from over the world. History and webmaster background can be found on the main page Photos-of-the-Year.com - Digital Photography Contest
Photography Blog - For all fun stuffs about photography.
Best Photos of the Month - Winning photographs for the month.
Photography Articles - Inspiring story, technical review and journal in photography.
Photography Contest - Free, Fun and Value for all photographers.

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Awesome sites dude I try to keep my own sites/ideas super clean but that will take me a while to catch up to

It flows nicely and the design examples are sweet thanks for sharing
As Outkast says, "stankyouverymuch."

By the way, nice name Link. You don't realize how many hours I've invested into the Zelda series since the first golden, 8-bit cartridge. I even got close to finishing the first one. Something like eight levels. I finished seven without hints. My sibling reset the cartridge, and the metaphorical tears were flowing. I then tried it with the Game Genie with unanimous lives. Unfortunately, if you don't die, you can't save. More metaphorical tears.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 01:28 AM

Aww... yeah I know how it feels. My bro needed a memory card for a while and for whatever reason I was convinced he wouldn't do the unthinkable but he did!!

When I got my memory card back it had all sorts of super monkey ball saves to it and zelda prompted me if I wanted to make a new file.. I mean I had only gotten past the 2nd dungeon in WW but that took me sooooo long (I enjoy exploring the worlds) and replaying it well -- always fun but yeah.

I was surprised nobody ever took this name and well um yeah *pets his fake master sword*
Aloha

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2004, 03:41 AM

By the way, you have a very nice site at eithne.dk. It has a easy and structured navigation, and warm and welcoming appearance. Very fitting for the artist it represents.
*blush*

Thank you. That was probably something like the nicest compliment I've ever gotten

Forum Links
Forum Rules