Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > FreeBSD on MacOSX 10.3

FreeBSD on MacOSX 10.3
slimshady023
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2005, 02:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if / what version of freebsd is running on OSX?

I am a web developer by trade, not a server guru. But, I am looking to install plesk (www.plesk.com) administration panel on my local machine for various testing purposes. The unix version of this software has different installers for freeBSD 5.3, freeBSD4.9, SuSE, and a host of other unix OSes.

I remember hearing about OSX and freeBSD... anyway, I am running the most current version of MacOSX, 10.3.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Miles

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 03:58 PM

MacOS X is not FreeBSD. FreeBSD is a completely separate operating system. What you heard is that much of MacOS X's *nix level is drawn from (or similar to) the other BSD's, including OpenBSD and FreeBSD. None of this guarantees that the user space is going to be similar enough for what you are talking about.

You should contact you vendor and see if they have advice about compatibility with MacOS X. From a quick look at their site I would guess that the installer is very specific, and that you are out of luck.

slimshady023  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2005, 05:28 PM

Thank you, Larkost. I did some Google searches and came up with virtually nothing comprehensible, so I appreciate your explanation.

I will do exactly as you suggest in contacting the vendor!

Cheers!
- M

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 06:14 PM

If it has different installers for different-but-very-similar platforms, it sounds like it's probably executables rather than just scripts or compilable sources, so it probably wouldn't work on PPC even if you were running FreeBSD.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules