Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Where's Gerrit?

Where's Gerrit?
Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 04:11 PM

EDIT:

I have been able to contact Gerrit. He says that he's doing well, and he has a friend working to get his mac page back up with all the files it previously had. He also did say that he isn't gone for good, which is great news for those of you who were as sad as I was to hear of his leave

ORIGINAL POST:

I was a little worried to begin with, but I thought I would give it a few days. Gerrit seems to have completely disappeared from the internet a few days ago, and he's deleted all his content that I know of, including his entire .mac site (you can still find some of his older releases on resexcellence which I'm sure was out of his control). The most recent logged appearance I can find is 1.5 days ago he logged onto DA, but that was probably around the time that he finished deleting everything.

He left a note which is lost now, does anybody have what exactly it said?

Also, does anybody know what happened? If he's really not coming back I'd prefer to know why, and the note was disappointingly vague.

Since I, for one, think all his themes were amazing, and I'm sure some of you agree, I thought it might be a good idea to collect all his GUI things and make another site dedicated to them. Though I'm not sure if that's a great idea as he clearly didn't want any of his things available. What do you think of the idea? Would anybody else want to take on the task? Otherwise I'd love to do it, I just don't have loads of time.

Edit: I found his final post on the MacThemes Forum. Here is the most important part IMO, but the original along with the entire thread can be viewed here.
Like many of us, I have my life problems.
I won't go into it too deeply because it's a private matter (hence my rather cryptic Goodbye message). All I want to say is that my health condition has felt like a yoyo during the past 15 months or so - which should explain some of my up and down states of mind.
I've reached a point where I seriously need to focus on the issue, and nothing much else.
It would still be nice to know if he has any opposition to the posting of his files elsewhere, but I feel inspired to make the site, so I probably will sooner or later. So, I'd like to know if there's anywhere that he did say he doesn't want them distributed anymore, because I have a feeling that he simply removed it all so he doesn't have to deal with it.
( Last edited by Syzygy; Aug 29, 2006 at 04:55 AM. )

DJ_FoX_MaC_Clou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 04:32 PM

he did answer your question in the MT forum

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_FoX_MaC_Clou
he did answer your question in the MT forum
Oh really? Would you mind linking me? I'm not really sure what to search for or how to go about finding it as I don't use MT much.

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 08:52 PM

I noticed his absence too, especially when I tried to reach his .mac site . sad indeed, I hope he's doing ok and for his health to get better so he can join us once again in the Mac community . syzgy, I think it would be a great idea to post all of his GUI things available but only if it's ok with him . in the meantime, anyone with news about Gerrit please keep us posted

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jriveractu
syzgy, I think it would be a great idea to post all of his GUI things available but only if it's ok with him . in the meantime, anyone with news about Gerrit please keep us posted
Well, that's exactly what I'm a little hesitant about. I have no way of contacting him, and as I understand he doesn't want anything to do with GUI for the time being so he wouldn't want an email of that sort anyway. I assume he took his own hosted files down because he does not want to have to deal with them being on his server, but for all I know he really doesn't want them distributed. And this is why I'd like opinions on weather I really should do it or not.

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 11:18 PM

well then, out of respect for him, we shouldn't distribute his work . if we hear anything from him and he agrees, I'd be happy to help you out, I have a few things ... but until then

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 04:56 AM

Just wanted to bump this to the top for the final edit I posted.

lesman
Aug 29, 2006, 07:27 PM

Good to hear he's doing ok. I spoke to him about 2 weeks ago and he said he's slowly doing better. I hope he gets fully-well, for his own sake.
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules