Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Modding SS Themes ???

Modding SS Themes ???
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 08:44 PM

Hey, does anyone use an application entitled GUI Kitty to mod ShapeShifter .guiKit themes ??? If so, can you tell me why some themes do not completely convert from .guiKit file format to a modifiable file format??? For example, I have attempted numerous times to convert the SS theme "UNITYGK" using the application GUI Kitty but every time it hangs up when "processing theme variants." This is not the only theme that hangs up at the same point in the conversion process. GUI Kitty works fabulous on most other .guiKit ShapeShifter themes but it is frustrating that it routinely hangs up when attempting to convert certain themes. Does anoyone know of any other applications that will convert an existing ShapeShifter .guiKit to a modifiable format and then convert it back into a .guiKit like the application "GUI Kitty" does ??? Thanks for any and all guidance people !!!
Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 06:20 AM

guiKitty was not ever made compatible with themes made for Tiger. Answer to the 2nd question is no.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2006, 01:56 AM

So what you're telling me is that GUIKitty is the only application available that will convert a .guiKit file to a modifiable format then convert it back into a .guiKit file ???
Please say it isn't so
TheZee

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2006, 10:35 AM

Have you tried TP? Its got everything you need in it. Rediculous to say I know since you've been around for a bit but . . . the mouth runith over.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2006, 01:10 PM

You have a point there my brother. You know, I never really got into ThemePark. I tested the waters using it a bit but that's about it. Perhaps it's time that I take a closer look at it and its full capabilities. Doesn't it only work with .DTLA files though ??? I primarily use ShapeShifter as my theme changer so I would like to find an application that can mod the ShapeShifter .GuiKit theme files. "GUI KITTY" works awesome most of the time but it hangs up when attempting to convert certain themes. That's the frustrating thing, themes like UNITYGK1.0.guiKit and BlackBerry.guiKit freeze up during the conversion process rendering them useless. If I could figure out why GUI KITTY is freezing up like it is perhaps there is a fix to the issue. Hear of anything else I can use to achieve the same thing, please let me know. Peace out . . .
TheZee

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

R-e-a-d my lips....guiKitty was never made compatible with Tiger....that's why it hangs up and doesn't complete the extraction. As eyevaan pointed out, you need to be using Themepark. All of your questions will be answered if you'll just open the application and read the help and about files....

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2006, 03:38 PM

TP3 was built for Tiger.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2006, 06:43 PM

Dude, take a chill pill my brother. No need to get all huffy. I appreciate the guidance and I agree that it's time for me to take a closer look at ThemePark and its capabilities. Still haven't answered my question if ThemePark only uses .dtla files and not .guiKit files or does it handle both ??? Thanks !!! Peace out . . .
TheZee

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 07:30 PM

That's why we're huffy. You're lazy...read the post I made and follow it. Your questions will be answered by you and not somebody doing your work for you....

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 10:19 PM

Man,
if this is the way you usually help someone out by insulting them I feel for whomever you've given guidance to. While I respect your wealth of knowledge, you can keep it to yourself if your going to deliver it with piss and vinegar. Peace out . . .
TheZee

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 07:44 AM

Think about it, if guiKitty was the only way to open guiKits, where did the guKits come from in the first place?

Answer: Themepark. Themepark is specifically made for creating guiKits, so instead of wasting time asking questions about whether or not you should bother to visit the site, why not spend that time learning how to use it?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 02:47 AM

Geez, what's up with all the condescending remarks ??? Is it too much to share your expertise with the masses without including the jab to the ribs ??? That being said, I do appreciate all your guidance and for sharing your knowledge. I did as you advised and downloaded ThemePark from GeeksSpiff and I am looking forward to exploring it's capabilities. Thanks for your help.
TheZee

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 11:36 AM

I'm trying to open the carbonite beta with themepark but themepark reports "the file doesn't contain a valid resource map." What should I do?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 04:18 PM

Themepark can edit the rsrc files in a Guikit?

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2006, 09:44 AM

anyway. i found a fixaround in the macthemes.net forums.

you apply a theme with shapeshifter, then go into themepark, new guikit, new theme "merge with installed elements" and you have the theme to **** around with. If you want to combine other elements from other themes, make a copy of themepark, apply the theme with the parts you want to extract, make a new guikit, theme, merge with installed, copy elements over into the older guikit you were working on.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by air
anyway. i found a fixaround in the macthemes.net forums.

you apply a theme with shapeshifter, then go into themepark, new guikit, new theme "merge with installed elements" and you have the theme to **** around with. If you want to combine other elements from other themes, make a copy of themepark, apply the theme with the parts you want to extract, make a new guikit, theme, merge with installed, copy elements over into the older guikit you were working on.
Your info on the mods is not the easiest way. Give this tutorial a look.

http://imaginegui.com/thememod.pdf

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 02:14 PM

OK... Now that we are name calling... You're an condescending ass.
I'm not sure if English is your first language / culture, but you really should consider a new way of communicating. Maybe a moment of silent reflection would do you some good?
If people could answer all of their problems, forums wouldn't exist. People come to forums to get quick answers from helpful / experienced people so that they don't have to learn it all on their own... Sheesh, this is a basic principal of the internet...

Have fun riding that tall horse Dj.

R

Originally Posted by digitaljames
That's why we're huffy. You're lazy...read the post I made and follow it. Your questions will be answered by you and not somebody doing your work for you....

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
OK... Now that we are name calling... You're an condescending ass.
I'm not sure if English is your first language / culture, but you really should consider a new way of communicating. Maybe a moment of silent reflection would do you some good?
If people could answer all of their problems, forums wouldn't exist. People come to forums to get quick answers from helpful / experienced people so that they don't have to learn it all on their own... Sheesh, this is a basic principal of the internet...

Have fun riding that tall horse Dj.

R
here we go again....you're referencing an old post from 5 months ago to a post made yesterday. The earlier posts referencing lazyness were directed at Zee who was refusing to follow answers to questions he was asking repeatedly....lazy is a verb in this case not a noun. Get a clue, learn to read. You suddenly announce your displeasure with me as if I give a rats ass? Move along everyone.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 04:27 PM

Sure... Five months ago. However with this most recent post, you've made afresh what was also appropriate then. According to your intolerant observations, I'm some kind of uneducated dolt. Just because you have the luxury of time, does not condone your actions here.

A verb or a noun, directed at Zee or anyone else, your comment is simply unacceptable. While you have every right to assert claims against anyones character, actions, or perceptions, it is an infantile thing to do here in these forums.
While it is apparent that there is little moderation in these forums, I don't see said title under YOUR name. Instead of calling someone lazy, or saying that they are being lazy (which isn't really different), you could choose to moderate by silence. Instead you have to take an active roll in being a condescending ass. Both noun and verb in your case.

Please people don't just "move along." We as a community need to be open to both the Advanced and noobs alike. The attitude that people who ask more than once are lazy, or in Dj's definition "acting lazy" is just plain contradictory to the nature of a forum... I would hope, THIS forum. While Dj may not "give a rats ass" how he acts in these forums, we should.

Encourage tolerance, openness, sharing, community.

R

Originally Posted by digitaljames
here we go again....you're referencing an old post from 5 months ago to a post made yesterday. The earlier posts referencing lazyness were directed at Zee who was refusing to follow answers to questions he was asking repeatedly....lazy is a verb in this case not a noun. Get a clue, learn to read. You suddenly announce your displeasure with me as if I give a rats ass? Move along everyone.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 04:52 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have denied you all of those PM requests for NFR material after all...guess I've gained another fan...

I'll let your posts speak for themselves....

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
Oh good lord Makki! Get your panties out of a wad...

"I'm just not going to play with you guys if you don't like my pictures... *humph*..."

talk about Kiddish... or Childish... And maybe even infantile. Wait... Unless, maybe you ARE 14 or something Sorry.

R
PS...I did a simple search for "thanks digitaljames" and "thanks GODucks" it was 18 to 1 so go away.....

http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=1128273

http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=1128277
( Last edited by digitaljames; Aug 30, 2006 at 05:35 PM. )

lesman
Aug 30, 2006, 06:16 PM

Are you guys serious? WTF? I moderate another 'net forum, and if I saw this garbage, both of you would have "vacations".

You guys aren't noobs, right? Well then take this s-h-i-t to PM...
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 08:59 PM

Listen... It isn't about popularity... It isn't about you giving me or anyone else stuff, legal or no...

It is COMPLETELY about your attitude...

While I appreciate it greatly that you have shared a lot of content with the community; files and information alike, I do not appreciate it when people make degrading comments about others. To me, this completely voids all coolness factor... I mean, just because a kid on the playground gives out lots of free candy, doesn't give him the right to be a jerk to the newer or uninformed kids...

Now Dj, let's see you match your generosity with your kindness.

Thanks... Staying put.

R

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2006, 09:00 PM

Well put. Will do.

R

Originally Posted by lesman
Are you guys serious? WTF? I moderate another 'net forum, and if I saw this garbage, both of you would have "vacations".

You guys aren't noobs, right? Well then take this s-h-i-t to PM...

Forum Links
Forum Rules