Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sound card advice

Sound card advice
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 09:54 AM

I recently upgraded to a Mac Pro. Unfortunately, the M-Audio card I had in my G5 does not work anymore. The only thing I use the care for is to listen to online radio so all's I need is a decent stereo card. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lee
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 10:19 AM

Anything wrong with the built in audio? I would think it would be more than adequate for streaming radio.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 10:27 AM

I want to hook up my speakers and I need an audio card to do that, kikk.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 11:33 AM

There are no PCIe sound cards other than high end pro cards that are used for high end video editing. Can you use optical out?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

idykenano
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2008, 03:13 PM

i've split the audio-out to the red/white for a stereo receiver and the sound quality didn't seem diminished. what sort of speaker setup do you have?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 03:40 PM

It sounds like the OP has a 5.1 (or similar) system that requires 3 or 4 outputs from the sound card.

A USB sound card is probably the most appropriate option for you... now if only I could think of one that's Mac compatible and has the 5.1 outputs.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 04:10 PM

Big Mac,
No optical out.

idy,
I have a 5.1 Klipsch. I have never used it to it's potential. I got a good buy on the setup about four years ago. The M-Audio card I had in the G5 worked great and it was less than $100 if I recall correctly???

mduell,
You got it. 5.1 and I need three outputs in the card (that's what the M-Audio card had).

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 04:58 PM

I think you are SOL. The only other 5.1 audio solution I am aware of is the Griffin Firewave. It hasn't got good reviews and is currently not compatible w/Leopard.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2008, 09:22 AM

God, please don't tell me that. There has got to be a card that I can use with my speakers.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2008, 07:09 AM

any audio interface with more than two outputs will allow you to assign surround channels in OS X's Audio/MIDI Setup Utility.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lee33 View Post
Big Mac,
No optical out.

idy,
I have a 5.1 Klipsch. I have never used it to it's potential. I got a good buy on the setup about four years ago. The M-Audio card I had in the G5 worked great and it was less than $100 if I recall correctly???

mduell,
You got it. 5.1 and I need three outputs in the card (that's what the M-Audio card had).
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure your Mac Pro has optical out. It's a built-in feature since the G5s.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2008, 12:56 PM

AFAIK, the optical out on Macs doesn't support 5.1 output, though - or does it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 05:38 PM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2008, 04:10 AM

That does explicitly mention 5.1 surround.

However, it also says:
"To use Digital Out, your audio equipment must support S/PDIF. You might need to install drivers required by your audio device. Contact the manufacturer of your audio device to determine whether you need to install drivers."

Why would I need to install drivers to use the built-in digital audio out - unless it's specifically to enable some sort of extra functionality (and the only "extra" functionality available to S/PDIF is 5.1 surround...)?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 05:43 AM

Optical out supports 5.1 just fine, you only need a receiver that decodes the DD/DTS 5.1 stream. S/PDIF doesn't do 5.1 PCM IIRC.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules