Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A decent free template for MovableType?

A decent free template for MovableType?
ambush
Banned
May 12, 2004, 05:33 PM

I searched and I did not find.

Any links?

Thank you.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:45 PM

http://www.9rules.com/cssvault/

lots of styles to use
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

zen jihad
May 12, 2004, 06:01 PM

When I tried MT out, they had links to some free templates on their site.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 07:54 PM

Synotic
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
http://www.9rules.com/cssvault/

lots of styles to use
I don't think that site is meant to be a collection of templates for one to take and user, but rather a showcase of CSS-designed sites.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
I don't think that site is meant to be a collection of templates for one to take and user, but rather a showcase of CSS-designed sites.
then you don't understand the current movement will css

this public display of different styles of css is a wealth of learning for new age web designers.

you don't have to steal another person's creation. but seeing what works and what doesn't for you is what i find it useful for.

everyone knows if you run across a site that you really like certain features or styles of the interface, you can copy / paste them into your current work, then modify them to suit your need.

its not stealing if you are converting a version of their layout/navigation/style and create something that is completely suited to what you were going to make.

just don't creat a look-a-like site or a site design that is obviously a clone of the original site.

there is nothing wrong with learning from the best. if you aren't a great skillsman of html & css, you can still improvise.

i say you can...

its hands on learning. its what taught me.

not everyone learns from teachers and tutorials

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2004, 11:30 PM

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Synotic
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
then you don't understand the current movement will css

this public display of different styles of css is a wealth of learning for new age web designers.

you don't have to steal another person's creation. but seeing what works and what doesn't for you is what i find it useful for.

everyone knows if you run across a site that you really like certain features or styles of the interface, you can copy / paste them into your current work, then modify them to suit your need.

its not stealing if you are converting a version of their layout/navigation/style and create something that is completely suited to what you were going to make.
I don't see how anything you've said disproves my comment... I simply said that it wasn't a collections for someone to take and apply. Certainly one can be inspired by another site, but that isn't at all limited to CSS or any other web technology.

Everyone does? While I agree that you can be inspired by another website, and also learn from its code, I don't think generally accepted to copy and paste styles, code and then modify it to shoehorn it into your design/code. That's why you'll usually see a copyright at the bottom of most pages on the web.

just don't creat a look-a-like site or a site design that is obviously a clone of the original site.

there is nothing wrong with learning from the best. if you aren't a great skillsman of html & css, you can still improvise.

i say you can...

its hands on learning. its what taught me.

not everyone learns from teachers and tutorials
I agree that learning from the masters is a good way to improve on your skills, or help build them. But I personally feel that copying should be left in the learning stage. If you're developing sites to be viewed by the general public, unless you have permission from the original developer/designer, then try and stick with your own work or more open source resources.

Anyways, particularly in web development, there are always shades of gray, so use your best discretion. If you really want to include an aspect of another site you like, make sure you obtain permission and I'm sure they'll let you use as long as you give credit.

As for actual sites... I can't think of many off the top of my head but I know that squidfingers offers lots of really nice patterns. Glish has also been helpful to me in the past when I was learning CSS layout. These aren't strictly MovableType templates, but they might be helpful if you want to customize the one that you find

Forum Links
Forum Rules