Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes over the network?

iTunes over the network?
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 07:00 PM

Me and my Mom are planning to get a new iMac soon and she wants to use it more than I do (she wants it to be 'her' machine, but It has a 500 GB HD and 2 GB of RAM when I have 80 GB and 1 GB of RAM ). Anyway, I plan to dump my iTunes library off this machine (MacBook) to free up some space on my HD after I migrate my user to the iMac, so I was wondering, can I set iTunes on this machine to the library on the other? I know in the advanced tab in iTunes you can configure where your music folder is, I was wondering if I could just point iTunes that way. All I actively do with iTunes is listen to podcasts, will they be affected?
Signature depreciated.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 07:33 PM

If you open iTunes with the option key held down it will ask you if you want to create a library or open one. You can then point it to your mom's iMac and it will open the library across the network.
The problem with this is that if the library is opened on both machines the last person to close it will write the iTunes Library file. That can cause issues if both of you make changes to it.

If you just want access to all of her iMac's iTunes, you could always use the library (read only) via the shared Libraries in iTunes.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 07:37 PM

Yep - have one machine 'host' the library, add music to that machine only, and share it with the other machine.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
If you open iTunes with the option key held down it will ask you if you want to create a library or open one. You can then point it to your mom's iMac and it will open the library across the network.
The problem with this is that if the library is opened on both machines the last person to close it will write the iTunes Library file. That can cause issues if both of you make changes to it.

If you just want access to all of her iMac's iTunes, you could always use the library (read only) via the shared Libraries in iTunes.
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yep - have one machine 'host' the library, add music to that machine only, and share it with the other machine.
Sweet
Signature depreciated.

328iGuy
Jun 13, 2007, 10:12 PM

I have tried to "Share" the library wfrom my iMac to Macbook before. All my music is updated on an external HD attached directly to the iMac, however I have been unsuccessful in sharing.

Can you explain in a bit more detail how it is done, other than putting the library in the "Public" folder?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules