Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Old Dreamweaver with Mac OS version and how to install?

Old Dreamweaver with Mac OS version and how to install?
kevs
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 01:02 PM

I'm going to put an old standalone version, CS3 and put it on Parallels. Anyone know what the Mac version was when this came out? And what is the procedure/ obtain the OS it to get it onto a Parallels? Thanks. I'm a current Mac user, High Sierra.

andi*pandi
May 8, 2019, 01:51 PM

Parallels is for running windows, right? Do you have the windows version of Dreamweaver CS3?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 01:54 PM

No, windows is for something else, which is why I got it. But they can accept Mac OS, so I'll put in old Mac OS and run DW 3 from there, as after Mojave is wont work.. on native imac.

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2019, 02:19 PM

Parallels allows you to run Windows on an OS X host, but it can also let you run other OS X versions as well. However, I recall hearing of people having issues with Parallels "playing well" with some OS X versions - which may be Apple's doing rather than Parallels'.

For general purpose emulation, I prefer Virtual Box, which is free and seems to run everything I throw at it.

To your question, CS3 came out in 2007, so you're looking at Panther or Tiger (OS X 10.3 or 10.4).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 03:11 PM

thanks GH, well I was looking at Virtual Box box but all reviews said...cliche you get what you pay for an Parallels is 100 more intuitive. (you don't concur?)

How do I get Panther or Tiger on Parallels?

( Window 10 just came today so, they still have, thankfully a standalone for only $95.00)

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 03:14 PM

PS I'll wait for you answer. I've read that Paralle's is a breeze and runs side by side so you don't interrupt or boot into anything. I wont have patience to have super steep learning curve.. let me know.. again P is only $95

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2019, 08:57 PM

I didn't see any real curve for VB. Keep in mind that Parallels has paid advertising and Virtual Box does not, so some of what you've read may be advertising rather than real experience.

Both Parallels and Virtual Box have you "install" the guest OS, and it works very much like installing an OS on a real machine.

Neither application is particularly challenging if you're comfortable with installing software. They both require that you pay attention and read the instructions. While they both do the same basic thing, they use somewhat different terminology, so read the instructions thoroughly BEFORE you start.

A friend uses Virtual Box to run OS X 10.9 on a Mini that's running 10.12 natively, and he says it's faster than the 10.12 - a lot of hardware virtualization goes on, which smooths it out nicely.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 09:05 PM

thanks GH, ok maybe I'll give it a whirl, but no support. Today Window 10 arrived. How hard it it to install onto VM?
And does VM run at same time that my normal OS runs like Parallel does?

the instructions is their manual, which look pretty old fashioned, html page..

Any great forum you recommend?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2019, 09:32 PM

PS GH, just tried to in install VM:

The Installation Failed!
The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacture for assistance.

But I can't do that, as it's just a free software.

BTW very rare I see that if not ever...

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2019, 09:22 AM

From my experience, it’s hard to goof up installing Virtual Box if you follow the instructions, have enough free space, etc. I’d restart the physical machine and try again.

I have VB running on a 2007 iMac with a 300 GB drive and 4GB of RAM, so it’s not like it’s a resource hog.

Give it another shot with a freshly booted Mac and see if it works...

SAMJOSEPH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2019, 01:58 PM

Hey, thanks for your replies guys.. I was also looking for the same and this article for routers helped me a lot!!
best regards!!
( Last edited by SAMJOSEPH; Sep 3, 2019 at 09:42 AM. )

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2019, 02:06 PM

GH did reboot, tried now. Same failed. NOTHING is wrong with my new imac 27". I'm sure you and zillions have no problem, and with 20 hours I could get it working, but I'm buying Paralles today. You get you pay for.

But this has confirmed my decision. Again, I'm sure 100% its fantastic for you or others, but in 20 years on Mac maybe once? this has happened.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2019, 12:51 AM

Dowloaded
( Last edited by kevs; May 12, 2019 at 02:15 AM. )

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2019, 01:13 AM

More
( Last edited by kevs; May 12, 2019 at 02:15 AM. Reason: need to)

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2019, 02:16 AM

Issue, not on Mojave will get on that today..

Forum Links
Forum Rules