Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion

OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion (Page 4)
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2012, 08:48 AM

OK so in general I've found that Safari's tweaks mostly annoy me. The omnibox is fine, but the lack of RSS and the new screwed up way it handles tabs is super annoying.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2012, 04:18 AM

There's already a tutorial for installing 10.8 on Macs that support 10.7 (and not 10.8) by stealing 10.7's kernel. I'll have to check it out some day and see if it really works.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Yep it's official, my Mac Pro won't boot Mountain Lion.
Let me tell you about my Mac Pro.
It has two 4-core, 2.66Ghz xeon processors.
14 GB of RAM
ATi 5770 GPU with 1 GB of DDR5 VRAM
SSD boot disk

And let me tell you why my Mac Pro is as powerful as it is:
Glossy screens are an absolute deal-breaker on a desktop (iMac), Mac mini's are not powerful enough, and Mac Pros are prohibitively expensive. So I recently decided that the best thing to do would be to upgrade this machine. It is now basically as fast as a high end iMac, yet it's going on 6 years old.

I'm pretty pissed off that they axed my machine. Nothing is final this early on in the process, but it's most likely final. Looks like I'll be smooth-sailing on Snow Leopard for a long time to come.
I'm still running Snow Leopard on my iMac. I was going to wait for Mountain Lion this summer, but now I have to see if it will run it. I'm at work, so I'll have to wait to get home.

from wikipedia
System requirements

As of Developer Preview 1, Mountain Lion supports most of the same hardware as Lion:

x86-64 CPU (Macs with an Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7, or Xeon processor)[3]
An EFI64-based system (iMac (Late 2007 or newer), Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer), Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer), MacBook (Late 2008 or newer), Xserve (Early 2009 or newer), MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 or newer), MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer))
At least 8 GB of free hard drive space[4]

OS X Mountain Lion no longer supports ATI's Mobility Radeon X1600, Radeon X1900 Mac Pro (currently), Intel's GMA 950 or GMA X3100, or NVIDIA's GeForce 7300 graphics processors.[citation needed]
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2012, 09:00 PM

OK. I went to Apple's support page and punched in my serial number and it says
iMac (20-inch Mid 2007)
so I guess I won't be able to load Mountain Lion.

EDIT: According to ars technica mid 2007 iMacs will be supported.
Older Macs voted off the Mountain Lion island

Older Macs voted off the Mountain Lion island
By Jacqui Cheng | Published 9 days ago
Another Mac OS release, another moment of truth for those using old Macs. Apple's next OS X release, code-named Mountain Lion, will drop support for some older machines as the company continues to move forward with the iOS-ification of the operating system. The list of supported machines has not been publicly published (yet) by Apple, but a developer source has now passed that list along to TUAW after having downloaded the Mountain Lion developer release.

So which Macs get to stay on the island? According to TUAW's source, Mountain Lion will run on:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Anything earlier than those machines will not be able to install OS X 10.8 from the Mac App Store. The list of those getting the axe include the original MacBook Air and all pre-unibody plastic MacBooks, iMacs from 2006, pre-June-2007 MacBook Pros, pre-mid-2007 Mac minis, the original and 2007 Mac Pro, and Xserves from 2006 and 2008. Most of those machines were released early enough that it makes sense for Apple to drop support, but there are plenty of Mac users who like to hold onto old hardware and won't be pleased with the latest restrictions. Are you one of them?
( Last edited by Chongo; Feb 25, 2012 at 09:19 PM. )
45/47

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2012, 09:04 AM

I think the point is that MacPros are still very powerful and capable machines but due to Apple's short sightedness, they are made unable to run OSX 10.8 due to a 32-bit EFI. This kind of upsets people but worst case scenario is running a modern Linux distro, Windows, or a legacy version of OSX (e.g. OSX 10.6).

Looking forward at a replacement for my 2006 MacPro makes me wonder if a Mac Mini would be a good alternative (I get same performance on new Mini vs. old MacPro nowadays) or a Windows box (hacked to run OSX or just stick with Windows or Linux). Meh, Apple's gotten on my nerves and don't get me started with those annoying Apple Stores.

jay3ld
Senior User
Feb 26, 2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post

An EFI64-based system (iMac (Late 2007 or newer), Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer), Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer), MacBook (Late 2008 or newer), Xserve (Early 2009 or newer), MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 or newer), MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer))
from wikipedia
Can the Macbook pro part be confirmed. Last time I tried with this on Snow Leopard I couldn't get it to boot into 64 bit kernel. I haven't tried it yet with Lion. I have the late 07 model so I am right on the edge there.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

OreoCookie
Feb 26, 2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I think the point is that MacPros are still very powerful and capable machines but due to Apple's short sightedness, they are made unable to run OSX 10.8 due to a 32-bit EFI. This kind of upsets people but worst case scenario is running a modern Linux distro, Windows, or a legacy version of OSX (e.g. OSX 10.6).
I agree, I think it's a legitimate gripe. (Perhaps that wasn't clear from the discussion on the subject.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 05:10 AM

For the record, I tried Feedly, I'm still very not impressed that Apple's removed RSS functionality from Safari.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
For the record, I tried Feedly, I'm still very not impressed that Apple's removed RSS functionality from Safari.
Maybe Apple's going to add it to iTunes since iTunes can do everything else (poorly). I hope they stick RSS in Mail where it belongs but there are plenty of great free RSS readers out (I like NetNewsWire and Gruml).

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2012, 08:50 PM

Speaking of the tweaks to Safari, I can live with (but don't particularly like) the huge tabs you get when you only have a few open. I am most disappointed that they removed the ability to specify the font and size in Safari's Appearance preferences (I miss my Myriad and default text on most sites seems too big for my taste).

Thorzdad
Feb 27, 2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Maybe Apple's going to add it to iTunes since iTunes can do everything else (poorly). I hope they stick RSS in Mail where it belongs but there are plenty of great free RSS readers out (I like NetNewsWire and Gruml).
RSS is already available in Mail.
Unfortunately, I believe I read somewhere that, like Safari, RSS has also been removed from Mail in Mountain Lion.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2012, 04:37 AM

I've downloaded a few clients from the Mac App store. I kind of like Caffine, but I don't love it's tie in to Google Reader. Why do all these readers want to use Google reader for the back end? Is there something that Reader provides that these apps need or are the designers just lazy or something?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Unfortunately, I believe I read somewhere that, like Safari, RSS has also been removed from Mail in Mountain Lion.

Not their finest hour !!

P
Feb 28, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

Not their finest hour !!
There is a saying in Swedish: "A coincidence that looked like a thought". If the Safari team and the Mail team both came to the conclusion that RSS should be removed, that implies that either 1) they were told, in no uncertain terms, to remove the feature, or 2) they are both aware of something similar being added somewhere else. My guess is a reader app, something like iBooks/Newsstand for Mac.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld View Post
Can the Macbook pro part be confirmed. Last time I tried with this on Snow Leopard I couldn't get it to boot into 64 bit kernel. I haven't tried it yet with Lion. I have the late 07 model so I am right on the edge there.
All I can say is it works fine on :
15-inch Early 2008
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB

Ham Sandwich
Feb 28, 2012, 07:51 PM

The whole "X" thing is needlessly redundant.

iOS, I get it.
OS... why they removed "Mac" makes no sense, that's their only computer.

And why they keep having a cat theme on computers also makes no sense.
I have an astronomy theme on mine, which also doesn't make much sense but they might as well start naming their OSs after astronomical labels. They've sort of done that with "Siri" which people keep mispronouncing (should be "sr-EE", as in Sri Lanka, but what the hell is "sear-ree"??) And some of their desktops are astronomically themed. Cosmic themes are epic, and the high-res astro pictures look way awesome on the iMac displays.

They should just go to OS [Name] or iOS [Name] and drop the whole number scheme.

Technician in 2012: "Are you running OS Mountain Lion?"

Technician in 2014: "Are you running OS Lyra?"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 08:29 PM

Is this going to be a "You need Lion(Snow Leopard) to install to Mountain Lion(Lion)" like before?
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 09:27 PM

Is this going to be a "You need Lion(Snow Leopard) to install to Mountain Lion(Lion)" like before?
They couldn't possibly be that stupid, could they?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is a saying in Swedish: "A coincidence that looked like a thought". If the Safari team and the Mail team both came to the conclusion that RSS should be removed, that implies that either 1) they were told, in no uncertain terms, to remove the feature, or 2) they are both aware of something similar being added somewhere else. My guess is a reader app, something like iBooks/Newsstand for Mac.
I think Apple has finally realized that their RSS implementation is too limited to be useful to anyone. It's simple enough for grandma, but grandma isn't gonna use it regardless.

Does Safari in ML still place the RSS button in the address field?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
They've sort of done that with "Siri" which people keep mispronouncing (should be "sr-EE", as in Sri Lanka, but what the hell is "sear-ree"??)
No. If they had wanted it pronounced "Sr-EE" they'd have spelled it "Sri."

There is an extra i in Siri. It's a real name, pronounced "SEAR-ee"

Siri | meaning of Siri | name Siri

64stang06
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2012, 10:00 PM

Considering it will be Mac App Store only, I would think as long as you're running 10.6.8 or later (or whatever the earliest version of SL enabled the Mac App Store), you should be fine.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 03:09 AM

Speaking of Siri and iOS/OS X amalgamation, wouldn't it be somewhat logical to integrate Siri into OS X in some fashion, to some extent?

I would love a "Siri, be brilliant on MacNN as only besson3c can do" command to automate my hard work here on this forum so that I can fire some of my illegal immigrants.

P
Feb 29, 2012, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
And why they keep having a cat theme on computers also makes no sense.
It makes each release sound like a new product. MS did the same thing with "Vista", and when that was a dud, they switched back to numbers to make it sound like upgrades again (and tie back to older Windows systems with better reputation than Vista). "XP" was sort of in-between - when it launched, MS had Office XP as well, so you couldn't just say XP, but it sounded like more of a difference than say Win 98 over Win 95.

The names for 10.6 and 10.8 correspondingly sound more like upgrades than new products as well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 05:31 AM

The other thing I've found is that users are far more likely to remember what cat they're on, than what number.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 05:35 AM

I find it adds an extra layer of complexity, as far as people knowing what version they are on. People need to know what numerical version they are on, and what cat version. And as a bonus, a common person won't know the cat order, but everyone knows which came first, 10.5 or 10.6. I don't think it's a big deal, but I think the cat thing is stupid, I'd rather go back to plain old numbers. Makes life easier for everyone.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 09:29 AM

Could be worse. We could be discussing the difference between ice cream sandwich and fudgesicle.
45/47

Thorzdad
Feb 29, 2012, 09:46 AM

Could be worse. We could be discussing the difference between ice cream sandwich and fudgesicle.
Not to mention Natty Narwhal and Oneiric Ocelot.

P
Feb 29, 2012, 12:33 PM

Ubuntu's names are better, though. By adding the adjective, it's more obvious that it's about the first letter, and the alphabetic thing comes fairly naturally from that and the release dates are regular as clockwork. The Android names are absolutely moronic, because they give new nicknames to arbitrary point releases and the alphabet thing is not obvious until you're told.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2012, 03:08 AM

Yes Ubuntu's is way better that's why Canonical is the most valuable company in the world.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I find it adds an extra layer of complexity, as far as people knowing what version they are on. People need to know what numerical version they are on, and what cat version. And as a bonus, a common person won't know the cat order, but everyone knows which came first, 10.5 or 10.6. I don't think it's a big deal, but I think the cat thing is stupid, I'd rather go back to plain old numbers. Makes life easier for everyone.
Exactly! Like I find confusing the naming convention of Apple's computers. iMac (late-2007)?? or was it mid-2006? I don't know when I bought it! I spent many years thinking I had a particular model and I only discovered recently (by using the obscure revision number 6,1, 7,1) that I was in the wrong all this time. It was simpler when I had a 7300/200.. I like the way HP named their computers in early 2000s.. You knew instantly what model you had and what it included. you knew that the 6435 was better than the 6415, and that the 7435 was better than the 6435.. and it was written on the box! Now present a MacBook Pro or an iMac to someone and they have no idea what model you have..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2012, 03:57 AM

It was a geek market back then, and the sales then and now reflect a general trend.

Apple sells the "iMac".

People like cats.

Simple.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2012, 04:54 AM

Yes Ubuntu's is way better that's why Canonical is the most valuable company in the world.

Not following the logic behind your sarcastic argument here...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It was a geek market back then, and the sales then and now reflect a general trend.

Apple sells the "iMac".

People like cats.

Simple.

I'm more of a dog person, myself...

P
Mar 2, 2012, 05:19 AM

Keep it on topic, guys.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Exactly! Like I find confusing the naming convention of Apple's computers. iMac (late-2007)?? or was it mid-2006? I don't know when I bought it! I spent many years thinking I had a particular model and I only discovered recently (by using the obscure revision number 6,1, 7,1) that I was in the wrong all this time. It was simpler when I had a 7300/200.. I like the way HP named their computers in early 2000s.. You knew instantly what model you had and what it included. you knew that the 6435 was better than the 6415, and that the 7435 was better than the 6435.. and it was written on the box! Now present a MacBook Pro or an iMac to someone and they have no idea what model you have..
Your not considering the fashion element. Using ever increasing numbers is fine for those who buy new ones whenever they get released but Apple is catering to those who buy 7 Series BMWs and immediately put private plates on and debadge the rear end. If you bought one new in the 80s you could convince people at a glance that it was brand new for a decade or two.

The people who need to know can always tell by interpreting your serial number.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Mar 2, 2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
... and immediately put private plates on and debadge the rear end.
Pssh. They pay extra to have them not put the badges on at the assembly plant.

Your analogy works, though - I only wish that the version numbers were a little easier to find (say a specific place each computer) and that Apple used them consistently as well, instead of that "late 2009" garbage.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2012, 09:14 AM

Your analogy works, though - I only wish that the version numbers were a little easier to find (say a specific place each computer) and that Apple used them consistently as well, instead of that "late 2009" garbage.
I wonder if Apple wants you to know exactly how old it is? Makes it much easier to obsolete by age rather than by performance.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2012, 11:42 AM

And then there are those model numbers that begin with A which as far as I could tell Apple does not use internally for anything.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2012, 11:34 AM

I only wish that the version numbers were a little easier to find (say a specific place each computer) and that Apple used them consistently as well, instead of that "late 2009" garbage.
About this Mac->More Info…

tells you exactly what "late 2009" version your Mac is. There is no need to find the serial number.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2012, 11:37 AM

I prefer the old Rev A, Rev B, Rev C

P
Mar 3, 2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
About this Mac->More Info…

tells you exactly what "late 2009" version your Mac is. There is no need to find the serial number.
I know that, but if you're asking someone what model they have, suggesting "late 2009?", they're likely to say yes iff it was purchased sometime between July 2009 and January 2010, and that can easily be yes if it was the previous model bought at the end of its lifetime, and be no if it was the right model but bought at the beginning of 2010. To some extent it's about how you ask it, but then Apple's website is set up around those labels as well. If they had said "iMac 11,1", they would have triggered people to check which model they have.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 04:05 PM

I prefer the old Rev A, Rev B, Rev C
Except we'd be at iMac rev. N or P or so.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2012, 12:44 AM

So I finally got tired of Illustrator crashing under Mountain Lion. Of course while in a fit of rage, I decided to reinstall Lion ... not a big deal ... aside from the fact that I didn't think to confirm that TIme Machine had been behaving itself ... which apparently it wasn't. So I lost everything from the 28th of February.

Well I shouldn't say everything, just anything important on my boot drive ... like the fourth chapter of my graphic novel I was already 13 pages into ... sigh. I actually lost some of chapter 3 too but that was backed up on my non SSD drive. Super frustrating as well as embarrassing. I might end up paying for Mac Keeper if it can find some of the files.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2012, 12:57 AM

Also for some reason Mail won't load now. But if I tell it to open in 32 bit mode it well. Hmmmm

I don't care all that much, but grr. I'm still mad about losing all that work. I welcome all the I told you sos.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2012, 01:36 AM

On the plus side, I can now click and drag with my Intuos 4 in iTunes ... who'd have thought that wasn't a driver bug.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2012, 09:51 AM

You're not supposed to install new OS seeds on your primary system like that. And for that exact reason. OS X is good at upgrading and not so good at downgrading. I just used a firewire drive, and imported my user account.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 12:32 AM

Yeah ... I woulda been fine if Time Machine hadn't randomly screwed up. I was also screwing around with a bunch of things like the cache for versions and stuff. Apple really needs to reconsider allowing the user to store that thing in a different spot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 12:49 AM

Is there a CLI tool for purging old versions of things managed by Versions?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
They couldn't possibly be that stupid, could they?
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Considering it will be Mac App Store only, I would think as long as you're running 10.6.8 or later (or whatever the earliest version of SL enabled the Mac App Store), you should be fine.
Just came back from the Apple store from a "Getting Started with iPhone 4S" workshop. After the workshop I asked about upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. I was told I will need to upgrade to Lion first. Mountain Lion will not instal if Lion is not installed.
45/47

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 01:49 PM

What's the draw of a "Getting Started with iPhone 4S" workshop? Any tips you didn't already know about?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules