Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Who's going back to Panther?

Who's going back to Panther? (Page 2)
dragonfly006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 11:13 PM

I asked a lot of questions before upgrading to Tiger and I also checked all my major (and most of my minor) software packages before making the leap. I also waited for 10.4.2 to come out. I've had no problems at all, so I wouldn't even consider going back. 10.3.9 was solid and so is 10.4.2, but now I get the benefit of Dashboard and Spotlight (which can admittedly be sluggish at times).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I know that YOU love Tiger and it runs PERFECT on all of your Macs and every Mac you've ever used but, that's just not the case with me. To me

You know Spaz, I was with you and I was getting ready to post something that you weren't getting a fair shake and people were needlessly slamming you. Randman even provided some helpful advice but then you flame him or at least get snotty. You get more flys with honey then with vinegar. That is to say your going to get more help if your nice then if you insite people which is what your doing.

Finally if Tiger is not giving you what you need, go back to Panther, there's no law forcing you to stay with it. Its your computer do with it what you will. I've seen some posts here and other places that some people are just now getting of OS9, and you know what, more power to em. Thy chose to wait and that's there right.

Peace
Mike

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
You know Spaz, I was with you and I was getting ready to post something that you weren't getting a fair shake and people were needlessly slamming you. Randman even provided some helpful advice but then you flame him or at least get snotty. You get more flys with honey then with vinegar. That is to say your going to get more help if your nice then if you insite people which is what your doing.

Finally if Tiger is not giving you what you need, go back to Panther, there's no law forcing you to stay with it. Its your computer do with it what you will. I've seen some posts here and other places that some people are just now getting of OS9, and you know what, more power to em. Thy chose to wait and that's there right.

Peace
Mike
I know what you mean and I'm sorry about the rudeness to Randman but, I can't understand how his Tiger experience is perfect while others are worse. Just for a test... I installed a clean version of Panther on my hard drive and it's amazing how much faster it is. I'm sorry Randman... Tiger's cool I guess, I just feel better in Panther for some reason.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 12:13 PM

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 03:30 AM

I think Tiger will go down in Apple's history as one of the more forgettable OSX upgrades. It's just too damn buggy and too much is poorly thought through.

With that said, I wouldn't go back to Panther. I am holding my company back from upgrading to Tiger right now because of all of the bugs. But where Tiger does shine, it is fantastic.

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 03:35 AM

Apart from the OGG plugin being broken with QT7 in Tiger I have no problems. I also like the new features. So I don't see why I would want to downgrade.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2005, 05:11 PM

Just to let people know... I did install Panther again on my internal hard drive... and I left Tiger on my external Firewire drive... and I gotta tell you... Panther is sooo much faster than Tiger... You guys gotta try this... this is great... even Exposé is fast.

Squozen
Jul 26, 2005, 12:40 AM

Exposé is fast on my Tiger PowerBook too. I'd really rather not go back to Panther, thanks.

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 01:03 AM

Exposé is the same speed on Tiger here as it was on Panther. I had plenty of time on Panther to know what it is like & tiger works just fine for me compared to it. It's not just Randman that Tiger is working OK for.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by smoke-tetsu
Exposé is the same speed on Tiger here as it was on Panther. I had plenty of time on Panther to know what it is like & tiger works just fine for me compared to it. It's not just Randman that Tiger is working OK for.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Squozen
Exposé is fast on my Tiger PowerBook too. I'd really rather not go back to Panther, thanks.
+
Originally Posted by smoke-tetsu
=

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Just to let people know... I did install Panther again on my internal hard drive... and I left Tiger on my external Firewire drive... and I gotta tell you... Panther is sooo much faster than Tiger... You guys gotta try this... this is great... even Exposé is fast.
I like Panther, and I love Tiger. I think users who are downloading bit torrents, large files, in Tiger should remove their download folder from the SpotLight indexing.

I too noticed problems with a SQL database slowing down as the database was in SpotLights path for indexing. There was a lot of data changing, and consequently a lot of reindexing by SL.

Reminds me of my Dad's Mac that was running really slow. He never used Activity Monitor, MenuMeters or top in terminal to see what was going on. Turned out his HP all-in-one printer driver worth-less POS software was consistently pegging his CPU to 100%.

I fixed that for him and now, OS X is no longer slow. But he blamed Tiger for being slower than Panther because of this.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
I think users who are downloading bit torrents, large files, in Tiger should remove their download folder from the SpotLight indexing.
Good one.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 08:22 PM

I'm happy enough with Tiger. It's working out well so far. *knocks on desk*

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2005, 09:19 AM

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 09:34 AM

I wish the people going back would just go back and not have to justify the move to those of us pleased with 10.4.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules