Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Questions with RAMs

Questions with RAMs
nathanxu
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2007, 07:11 AM

Hi guys, I have few questions with RAMs for Macs.
Firstly, when I insert new RAMs into Mac, that would not void the warranty will it?
Secondly, I have 2GB RAM in my iMac 24 Inch, I like to purchase a new 2GB RAM for the computer and upgrade it to 3GB. My father is also in the process of getting a new MacBook Pro 15 Inch, after he gets his computer, he will only have single 2GB RAM in his computer, so he could gets another single 2GB RAM on the web to expend it to 4GB. Therefore, I was looking at single 2GB RAM on Ebay Australia. I've found one which reads here:
"2GB DDRII SODIMM 667MHz (PC5300)
FOR MACBOOK (BLACK AND WHITE) AND
MACBOOK PRO 15" AND 17"
AND iMAC CORE 2 DUO SYSTEMS
INTEL BASED SYSTEMS"
It is stating that it is compatible with both machine I have mentioned above. I have no experience at all with RAMs, so is that's true?

Here is the link for the product page if it helps:
eBay Australia: 2 GB RAM Memory Apple Macbook & MacBook Pro Intel iMac (item 270149693182, end time 08-Aug-07 13:30:31 AEST)
I hope someone could tell me if this particular RAM here is suitable for the product I have mentioned above.

Lastly, my mother owns a iMac G4, it is a 2nd generation iMac, one of the batch with USB 2.0. I was thinking to buy some RAM to make the computer last for few more years. What is the maximum ability of RAM that computer can take? It cannot use any of the RAM that is designed for intel Mac right? What kind of RAM should I purchase for that Mac?

Thanks guys
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 04:00 AM

No, adding RAM doesn't void warranty, nor apple care.

Check the maximum of RAM your iMac can take. Consult the manual.

I personally would not buy RAM on ebay. RAM has gotten so cheap you don't have to max out savings potential. To get good RAM is important. Search the forum for RAM threads, there are tons of them.

Here Crucial is a good brand, but you seem to live in Australia. But the bottom line is: you can get good RAM at fantastic prices, so don't go down the cheap end.

nathanxu  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
No, adding RAM doesn't void warranty, nor apple care.

Check the maximum of RAM your iMac can take. Consult the manual.

I personally would not buy RAM on ebay. RAM has gotten so cheap you don't have to max out savings potential. To get good RAM is important. Search the forum for RAM threads, there are tons of them.

Here Crucial is a good brand, but you seem to live in Australia. But the bottom line is: you can get good RAM at fantastic prices, so don't go down the cheap end.
Does anyone knows a website that sales RAMs at a reasonable price. Especially is there's any in Australia?
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 10:05 PM

Don't know about Australia, but even if you find a way to save a couple of Aussie bucks you will always do better getting it from a real seller. Search this forum for "kernel panic"!

tintin220
Aug 6, 2007, 10:40 PM

OWC might.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:14 AM

Search the Australian stores, write down the names of offered RAM, and then come back and list the brand names.

Australia will definitely import a good deal of its RAM from the US.

Forum Links
Forum Rules