Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Release date for OS X 10.5

Release date for OS X 10.5 (Page 2)
Kar98
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
= 10 May? Damn backwards dates, I guess we'll have to wait another 8 months in other parts of the world .
Yeah, it takes a while to compile your DVDs, since they all have to spin backwards.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by iggie View Post
I wouldn't count on it being released in October.... I'm guessing November. But am still hoping it to be released sooner.
I'm sure the extra week would make a world of difference.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 10:01 AM

I wouldn't count on it being released in October.... I'm guessing November. But am still hoping it to be released sooner.
Why? Apple has already pushed back the date to October, and they recently said it will be shipping in October.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 01:21 PM

Seeing has how 10.4.10 is the buggiest piece of crap OS X release ever, they need to have a 10.4.11 before 10.5 ships IMHO, since I can't even use my computer right now it crashes so often.

-=DG=-

As for 10.5, I've tried it, and it's a nice upgrade, but the latest builds STILL don't add an NVIDIA Control Panel for the MacBook Pro 8600M GT!! WHY APPLE WHY

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2007, 01:58 PM

Did previous versions have an NVIDIA control panel? I mean, why are you expecting one?
Chuck
___

Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 02:07 PM

I doubt that Apple would rather swallow their pride and push the date back again.If it is still buggy in October, they'll put out Leopard in October and release bug fixes soon after.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Goob View Post
Seeing has how 10.4.10 is the buggiest piece of crap OS X release ever, they need to have a 10.4.11 before 10.5 ships IMHO, since I can't even use my computer right now it crashes so often.

-=DG=-

As for 10.5, I've tried it, and it's a nice upgrade, but the latest builds STILL don't add an NVIDIA Control Panel for the MacBook Pro 8600M GT!! WHY APPLE WHY
How do you figure that 10.4.10 is so terrible?

Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 04:04 PM

I haven't had one issue from 10.4.10.

brwagner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 08:11 PM

Might very well be Friday, October 5th. or 10/5

brwagner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
Does anyone know the release date for OS X 10.5?
Read October a few months back, but now that we are weeks away...has a date emerged?
The release date for mac OS 10.5 might possibly Friday, October 5th - or 10/5

Does anyone want to guess what time? 10:05am? or 5pm after the market closes?

chotty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2007, 09:13 PM

Toast 8 supports Blu-Ray disk burning for OS X already...
Roxio Toast 8 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning - Overview

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler View Post
Consumers are starting to purchase HD Video Cameras. iMovie and other such programs have long supported HD video. But what good is it if we can't burn it on our Macs? I haven't looked deep into the situation, but if i was to purchase an external blu-ray or HD burner, will my mac support it? I was under the impressiont that OS X doesn't support the 3rd party burners yet. That's why i figured apple would release an internal one and provide the necessary support.

If you take a look at Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Recorders, you will see many blu-ray burners. However, when i go to the manufacturer websites, i can't seem to find anything about apple sofware, or the computer specs needed to run these burners. Specifically, if i hook it up to my Mac, will it work?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by brwagner View Post
The release date for mac OS 10.5 might possibly Friday, October 5th - or 10/5
OOh, I like that!

Stockcerts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 05:18 PM

When it does come out will it be available day 1 at outlets such as Best Buy? I'm not real keen on ordering it from Apple and waiting a few weeks. Thanks!

Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 05:35 PM

Mac OS X has never been available at Best Buy AFAIK.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stockcerts View Post
When it does come out will it be available day 1 at outlets such as Best Buy? I'm not real keen on ordering it from Apple and waiting a few weeks. Thanks!
No. You can expect it the weekend after at other stores and most Apple Stores that aren't west coast or a major store.

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 09:10 PM

I spent an hour at Best Buy today talking with the Apple Rep. He said with any of the new Apple software in the past; i.e. iLife08, Apple got him the software so he could install it on all the machines he had in stock. He couldn't guarantee they would do the same with Leopard, but he felt pretty good that they get make it available as soon as they could without much of a delay.

I am planning on purchasing a macbook pro, and have the funds on October 3rd. Trying to decide if I want to wait for Leopard or just make the plunge. As long as it is released, I am not worried whether it is on the machine or not as they will then upgrade for free. I just don't want to wait until late October if it takes that long to be released.

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No. You can expect it the weekend after at other stores and most Apple Stores that aren't west coast or a major store.
Most Apple stores not west coast or major? What are you saying? Every single Apple store gets the OS upgrades when they are released so that they can have their release parties and sell them.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I doubt that Apple would rather swallow their pride and push the date back again.If it is still buggy in October, they'll put out Leopard in October and release bug fixes soon after.
That's what I'm thinking as well. I mean, they did it with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. The GM build was buggy as hell.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
How do you figure that 10.4.10 is so terrible?
I've had so many issues with 10.4.10 it's not even funny. For one thing, 10.4.10 broke Pro Tools, and crashed with the drivers of my USB keyboard. I had to pay to update Pro Tools and the USB keyboard finally got updated. As well the GPU drivers for NVIDIA 8600M GT (MacBook Pro 2.4GHZ) are so crappy that they have a memory leak and crash when using Second Life, which is the software that I bought this computer to use. It's a known "Radar Issue" internally at Apple, but they have not issued an update in over 4 months of this machine being on the market that would fix this memory leak, which is known to be their fault.

Anyone with this computer and OS who does not have crashes is, quite simply, not doing anything with it besides web browsing and photoshop (which you could do on a Mac from five years ago). Anyone who is using this computer for the types of things it is designed to handle, such as 3D graphics, virtual reality, music production, etc. will tell you of their woes. Staticy noises in the firewire audio caused by the fan... kernel panics when using USB MIDI devices... incompatibilities with major packages such as Pro Tools... Second Life crashing over and over again... Apple showing absolutely no incentive to fix ANY of these issues.

Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2007, 10:25 PM

Haven't had any of these problems... there seem to be pockets of complaints... It's odd.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Did previous versions have an NVIDIA control panel? I mean, why are you expecting one?
Windows Vista has an NVIDIA Control Panel, and a great feature it is! Why should Windows Vista have a wonderful feature like this, which is simply left out of the Mac OS entirely? Why should the GPU drivers be left to Apple to handle, if they are going to botch them as horribly as they have done, with memory leaks that result in crashes, and leaving out major features like the NVIDIA Control Panel?

I think it's abhorrent and unacceptable, but sadly most Mac users never use 3D functionality so they don't care at all. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that you don't.

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Haven't had any of these problems... there seem to be pockets of complaints... It's odd.
Well do you have a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz w/NVIDIA 8600M GT? I think maybe a lot of my issues are more related to this particular hardware. I don't know.

All I can tell you is that I have owned countless Macs throughout time, and with the possible exception of the Power Mac 7600 running system 7.6.1, this is the crashiest Mac I've ever had (10.4.10).

I have been running a beta of 10.5 and I'm encouraged by many things about it, but many of the major gripes I have about 10.4.x are not addressed by this update.

I really need to go work for Apple's QA.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2007, 01:39 PM

I'm surprise no one talked about it yet.. As it says on MacNN's front page, MacRumors found more evidence that Leopard will be released Oct. 26th:
Apple has been rumored to be targeting Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's release on October 26th. More evidence of that comes from Apple's own online store.

While Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is not yet available for pre-order from Apple, Apple still sells Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). If you try to order Tiger now, the estimated ship date is coincidentally also October 26th, 2007.

Update: Apple has updated their store and changed the ship date for Tiger back to "Within 24 hours".
So.. are they going to announce it, so people get it for free? It's less than 14 days from now!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
So.. are they going to announce it, so people get it for free? It's less than 14 days from now!
I'm currently predicting a media event on Oct. 26.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules