Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > daughter's iPhone requiring iTunes password for free, purchased apps

daughter's iPhone requiring iTunes password for free, purchased apps
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2014, 11:50 AM

My daughter has an iPhone and I've enabled parental controls, to limit the apps and such to age-appropriate stuff. Something seems to have changed with iOS 7 (or maybe I somehow changed a setting that did this).

Before, if I had purchased an app already, or if it was free (and age-appropriate), she could just download or update it without having to know my iTunes password (we all share an iTunes account). She's not always with me, so often she wants to update or download apps and can't do it - I don't want to give her my iTunes password. In the past, she would just text me, I would buy it, and then she could download it without a password.

Did something change in iOS 7? Or did I somehow mess up the parental controls?

Also... the setting for 'require password: immediately' is set and it's grayed out, so I can't seem to change that on her phone. I think that's triggered whenever you turn on age limits, but that makes no sense... it shouldn't matter how soon you need a password, it should just block individual apps if they're not age-appropriate, right?
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

andi*pandi
Jan 24, 2014, 02:27 PM

they might have changed the apps thing because of the in-app purchase problem. Not sure about the passcode though!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2014, 08:34 AM

By turning on "Restrictions," everything is set to "allow" by default, and you select which items you want to restrict by switching the toggle. This includes both App Store and iTunes. Read this knowledgebase article for more details.

The iTunes password thing is different. It isn't, as far as I can tell, part of the restrictions at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2014, 08:41 AM

Before this iPhone, my daughter had an iPod Touch. I'm 95% sure that I had restrictions turned on there, too, but the behavior was different. If she wanted an app, she could ask me to buy it - and once I bought it, she could just download it without having to enter a password. Now I have to be there in person to do it for her, even if it's already purchased and meets the age limits I set, because it requires my password.

The immediate password thing is actually moot, if I can figure out why it needs a password at all for things that I've already purchased and that fall without the restrictions I set.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2014, 08:48 AM

Could it be something in the settings for your iTunes account itself?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2014, 05:55 PM

I've looked around in iTunes (Mac) and on the settings of the iPhone and can't see anything like that. Good idea, but can't find it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules