Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stop the Complaining!!!

Stop the Complaining!!!
fady
Oct 25, 2002, 04:11 PM

Hi,

First, I would like to say that in no way I wish to offend anybody.

I am just wondering why people always use these threads to complain and whine about how Apple is not releasing fast enough machines, how they don't have a G5 yet or a 4 Ghz G4, or how they believe that PowerMac are too expensive or underpowered, etc...

People, computers are machines and OS X is an amazing platform. The mac has progressed a lot and I feel a lot people do not take the time to realize that and congratule Apple how far it has come since 1997.

All of this to say that I have a Dual 867Mhz PowerMac G4 and I think that Apple still rolls out reliable machines and operating systems.

sorry for the rant.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 12:40 AM

Are they allowed to complain about the noise of the current crop of PowerMac towers?!

As an owner of a Cube and a couple of older Macs and PowerBooks, I find the forum members' comments on the current PM's shortcomings quite valuable.

They've saved me money and a noise-induced headache.

Okay, so Apple have lost a sale to me this year, but whose fault is that? The online Apple Store doesn't list "sounds like a wind tunnel" in their specs, but the forum members here do.

Vive la complaining!!!

PS I'd be sad to see Apple lose a lot of sales over a $10 Delta Electronics part, but attention to that area of design is important to a lot of people.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2002, 01:02 AM

Stop complaining about the complaining.
It just leads to more complaining, and then I start complaining about the complaining, and then other people complain that I am complaining about the complaining.

So stop
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2002, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Stop complaining about the complaining.
It just leads to more complaining, and then I start complaining about the complaining, and then other people complain that I am complaining about the complaining.
But then I can't complain about that!

Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2002, 03:18 AM

You know what, I agree, though. People still judge based on MHz and other BS criteria. If they would just sit down and use these machines, they'd realize how blazing fast they are.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2002, 03:32 AM

yes but when hardware wise a machine that costs less can process more faster than the one that i'm paying more for, that's very frustrating considering the steep price of macs.
They do have valid reasons for complaining. At the same time you don't need to congradulate apple, they're a company not a discouraged underdog who's getting beat up by the school bully.
Apple has a buissness moddel and they're not a mom and pop shop.

Apple knows they're doing good and apple is happy with how they're doing.
In general the people are more complaining that motorola has screwed up their platform so badly with their crappy proccessors.

JNG
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2002, 05:57 AM

Constructive criticism and complaining are certainly different things. Learning something about a machine that would change your views on owning one is surely of value.

Continued and non-constructive complaining about MHz and so forth, though, even from people who love Apple, doesn't do much to help anyone. Then there are people who hate Apple and are here just trying to ruin everyone's day, or people who have gotten convinced that Apple is on the verge of bankruptcy or something, who just say totally unsupportable stuff in an apparent attempt to drive everyone nuts.

So, you know, more of the first, and less of the second and third.

Scoo
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 01:22 AM

Apple does put out reliable, rugged hardware (mostly) and OS X is really great

BUT

Pointing out that Apple charges premium prices for trailing edge hardware isn't whining. Not only that but Apple gets what, a 26% mark up on most machines?

Don't get me wrong about Apple's computers, they are nice, and they are beautiful. They are also too expensive.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 03:13 AM

All I know is that the boot up time for the iMac flat panel 15" is much too slow. The XP Home Edition box sitting here is MUCH faster.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 04:19 AM

I bitch about the slow speeds not because I'm just sitting around looking at synthetic benchmarks but because I've used DP 1GHz machines and I was not impressed. Using Photoshop 7 on a DP 1GHz Mac (which at the time was over $3k I was sitting there wondering how in the world anyone would pay so much for that machine. Yes PowerMacs are sweet looking computer and OS X is totally sweet. Compared to their competition they are middle of the pack, in some cases you can get two machines that are twice as powerful as a single high end G4 for the same price. Hell it's more economical to buy a used Sawtooth G4 from SmallDog and upgrade it with a Duet upgrade then to buy a brand new dual gig.

This is my problem. I want a G4 desktop, I haven't bought a Mac desktop in a while and I'd REALLY like another one. I've grown to love and cherish OSX and I really enjoy the whole paradigm of the Mac much more than Windows. I can't bring myself to fork over premium quality money for a middle of the road performer. Performance is a big issue for me because I want stuff done quick so I can do my work and move on. The PowerMacs might be fast for web browsing and sending e-mail but that is a lot of money for something I can do just as well on a $800 iMac. We as customers have every right to complain, its our money we're turning over for stuff that may or may not be getting the job done for us. I don't want to buy another Windows system, I want to buy a Mac. It is increasingly hard to do so because there's such a performance gap between the two.

If you're happy with your Mac thats fine. Don't tell me I ought to just be complacent because you're happy though.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2002, 04:32 AM

My two cents on the whole noise problem:

Computers make noise. Heck, everything makes noise, even your brain.

If I'm laying down in bed and everything's quiet I can focus in and actually hear a really high (might be really low) frequency from what seems to be my brain.

Anyway, I dunno, what's the big deal? It's only a little noise! I mean, people who DEMAND absolute silence are perhaps a little nerotic?

I like having whirring fans because i can focus on the sound and suddenly have a new peace, funny to think of it, it's a much nicer sound than flourescent lights!

Anyway, I agree, the current powermacs had a defect, thus, they will all need motherboard replacement. Big deal, you will get the new motherboard, provided you take it to a trusty provider (or demand on site service as I've done before)....

I really don't know what there is to whine about, especially noise, I have a friend who overclocked his athlon and now has to get water cooling because he can't stand the noise from the insane amount of fans he has in his machine. And yet you say PCs are better? It really depends.

Until recently, have auto-control PC fans hit the market, and they are still buggy, and they still suck.

Actually, now that I think of it, these people who claim to own cubes probably have those noisy maxtor hard drives in them.... I can only say that having a dozen low-frequency fans is a heck of a lot nicer.

And perhaps you have a valid point, but apple has gone quite a way as a year and a half ago I wouldn't even consider an apple machine, now I love them and refer everyone to the mac platform.

Apple has come a LONG way from what they used to be, but there has to be a compromise somewhere. The g4, to the contrary, is actually an incredibly powerful processor, and if you want powerful + higher clock speed, you will have to suffer higher temperatures, more robust heatsinks, and noisier cooling systems, it's just a fact.

The designers at motorola did not design the PowerPC G4 to get as high a clock speed as possible within it's architecture, but to process as much information per clock cycle as possible. There truly is no comparison between X86, a dying 30 year old platform, and PPC, a new generation platform that's only about 8 years old.

Luckily, we have technological advances, and to those who say there's no competition, there is.

The PowerPC G4 competes with IBM's PowerPC G3 790 (I believe it was), and their makeshift G4, it also competes with SUN Microsystem's Ultrasparc II and III series.

The PowerPC was not made to compete with intel as far as clock speeds are concerned, and unfortunately, this is one problem most people don't seem to pay attention to.

Truth be told, I think Apple's OS is a great value, and so are some of their systems. Today, you can get a well designed machine with one of the most beautiful operating systems ever made for under a thousand, and even a flat panel machine (it has been rated as the best everywhere, EVEN PC magazine!), for about $200 more.

I agree, apple has a LOT to do, but so do I, and so do you. Good things take time!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 02:30 PM

Why does everyone instantly assume problems with power are due to clock speed issues. The GHz rating of some processor doesn't matter in the slightest to me, the amount of work it does in a given time frame matters. I don't care about clock speed I care about actual performance. The G4 has neither clock speed nor performance advantages over anything other than slower versions of itself.

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2002, 09:54 AM

hey I just like to complain. OK?
e-gads

vault86
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 30, 2002, 10:18 AM

yeah, umm, fady, if you don't like the complaining, you don't need to post on those threads. noone's making you; you don't even have to look at the complaints.
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

fady  (op)
Oct 30, 2002, 03:20 PM

Ok... maybe the word complaining is not the best but I just feel that a lot of people would never be satisfied, it seems that even if Apple were to come out with a 3 GHz G5, some would still complain (oups... here I go again...), I mean some would still comment about this or that...

Yes,
- I would PowerMac to be cheaper
- Yes I would like have more options and faster chips
- etc...

do I need a 3 Ghz G5, well that a totally different story!

again, just my 2 cents.

P.S. I like posting on this forum, it's always been a source of help and interesting conversations at times. vault86: would it make you more confortable if I didn't?
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

vault86
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 31, 2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by fady:
Ok... maybe the word complaining is not the best but I just feel that a lot of people would never be satisfied, it seems that even if Apple were to come out with a 3 GHz G5, some would still complain (oups... here I go again...), I mean some would still comment about this or that...

Yes,
- I would PowerMac to be cheaper
- Yes I would like have more options and faster chips
- etc...

do I need a 3 Ghz G5, well that a totally different story!

again, just my 2 cents.

P.S. I like posting on this forum, it's always been a source of help and interesting conversations at times. vault86: would it make you more confortable if I didn't?
no, sorry about that, i was just saying that if you don't like the complaining, don't participate
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 11:40 PM

A-h-h-h, yes. Come all ye faithful. Subscrbe to the law of diminishing expectations. Pay through the nose and get less. Don't seem like the American way to me. But, who am I? Just someone who would like some bang for the buck. Style over substance only goes so far. 'Nuff said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules