Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems playing .avi movies

Problems playing .avi movies
sliderule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 01:11 AM

I've got a bunch of movies that I use VLC 0.4.6 to play, but I keep getting sound dropouts after awhile. The strange thing is that if I switch to another application and then switch back to VLC the sound stops dropping out for about 5 minutes and then gets bad again. I tried playing them in Quicktime with but it was even worse. Any clues as to the cause and solution to this problem?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 01:27 AM

There have been tons of threads on AVI's. Try doing a search.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 19, 2002, 01:49 AM

indeed there have, but this is the first one where someone besides me has complained about VLC's sound quality

FAQ

you may have to scroll down about half a page to read about audio
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
There have been tons of threads on AVI's. Try doing a search.
Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by lucylawless:
indeed there have, but this is the first one where someone besides me has complained about VLC's sound quality

FAQ

you may have to scroll down about half a page to read about audio
That article was really interesting! It's so frustrating when I get movies that are compressed as a Windows AVI that don't work on Macs. Windows DivX can be converted, but I still have not found a way to convert regular Windows AVI movie files. Most of the conversion programs just quit. I've tried using WinMPG, a Windows program in Virtual PC to try to convert the movies to DivX so I can watch them. It's a work in progress, but I still want to try to convert thenm in OS X. It's the best way.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
Thanks for the help.
Oh, please. There are so many completely unnecessary posts in these forums. If people would just take a few seconds to do a little research on their own instead of immediately posting whatever inane questions they've come up with, everyone would be happier.

Wevah
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 08:26 AM

I've recently started using mplayer ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerosx ; recommended in another thread) to play my DivX ;-) AVIs...works a treat, though it's run from the command line (there's a GUI frontend for it, but it doesn't support drag and drop, so I find just using the Terminal to be faster).
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Forum Links
Forum Rules