Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Mov to Mpg at 160x120

Mov to Mpg at 160x120
BrianVFD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 02:26 PM

Hi.

I want to export mi movs created in iMovie to be able to be seen in a PC. I want to create an 160x120 MPG file like the ones I often get from my PC friends.

I have QuickTime Pro and can export mpgs using the Toast VCD option but I allways get a very big screen and an awfull big file about 10 time bigger than the original MOV.

I have even tryed "ffmpegX_0.0.4g.dmg-link.dmg" which is the most unfriendly program I have ever seen. After about 10 attemps with errors I finally got the same big picture and doesn't even work in a PC using Virtual PC to test it.

Can anybody tell me what program can I use to convert a simple 160x120 MOV to an MPG with at least the same dimensions?

Thanks!

Nap
Nov 24, 2002, 04:30 PM

VCDs are normally 352x240 and a rather high datarate, which is why you wind up with such large files using VCD format. There is a freeware mpeg-1 encoder called Movie2MPEG that lets you set all the parameter to your choice. If you convert your movie to a 160x120 resolution before giving it to Movie2MPEG then that is the size you wind up with. This intermediate file would best be in an uncompressed format to maintain quality. You should be able to find Movie2MPEG by searching on www.versiontracker.com. It is rather slow doing the encoding, but it is free.

BrianVFD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 12:07 PM

Thanks Nap!

Great help.

BrianVFD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 07:34 PM

I tried works great BUT I get a very fast (Woody woodpecker) video and sound.

BrianVFD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 07:35 PM

Firgot to put the rest.

This only happens when openned in a PC.

Nap
Nov 28, 2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by BrianVFD:
Firgot to put the rest.

This only happens when openned in a PC.
I have never had that happen. I have VirtualPC and the mpegs I make with Movie2MPEG always play fine in Windows 98SE in WMP. Only thing I can suggest is to make sure you are saving the intermediate file uncompressed at either 30 or 25 FPS (choose the same FPS for the mpeg) and that the audio file is saved in an uncompressed format, probably best at 44.1 16 bit. If that doesn't help, I am afraid I can't make any other suggestions.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 28, 2002, 09:06 PM

You can try MediaPipe. It's not as user-friendly as movie2mpeg, but it has its own support forums where you can get help with it
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules