Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther

Panther
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 02:09 PM

Any ideas.
1. Probely faster over all.
2. G5 takes atvantage of a 64 bit procssor.
3. More bluetooth stuff.
4. 802.11g ratified for sure.
5. New programs and final versins of safria etc
6. Even more custemizable. (os)
7. Ink well takes efffect.
8. More rondevue. How ever you spell it.
9. Better battery life for future laptops. Like intels new centrino crap lol
10. Newer I chat for yahoo as well.
11. Support the new nivida and ati graphics card.

If you have any ideas post them.

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 02:13 PM

- Metadata supported in Finder/file system
- Filesystem node change notification (like BeOS) so that files appear instantly in the finder.
- Hopefully a new *USABLE* open/save dialog.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
- Metadata supported in Finder/file system
- Filesystem node change notification (like BeOS) so that files appear instantly in the finder.
- Hopefully a new *USABLE* open/save dialog.

What is metadata

beos that would mean a whole new OS its just a upgrade remember. I think 10.3 maybe a emluation of some sort of BeOs becasue to re give a filing system first would it be compatible.
What do you mean new "USABLE" open/save dialog expand.

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 04:32 PM

I think pat++ means adding node change notification LIKE BeOS to the exisitng HFS+ format not the implementing the BeFS on Mac OS X. This would mean that files show up as they're created in Finder windows not just when you click the window into focus. It wouldn't me a major change to the system, certainly not as big as adding journalling support.

Metadata means storing information about filetypes in the file rather than in the filename. This would mean you wouldn't have to put .doc at the end of a file to make it open in Word. Something based on MIME would be good here.

As for the Open/Save dialog boxes, more view options would be nice (not just column view).

As for your own list yoyoman, Inkwell is already in Mac OS X 10.2 and so is Rendezvous. It's up to other people to make applications that use them.

Personally, I'd also like to see better use of sharing between user accounts on the same system. I'd like to be able to share my iTunes library with other members of my family on my iMac at home and share iPhoto libraries (or parts of them) as well.
( Last edited by Fotek2001; Mar 21, 2003 at 04:38 PM. )

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

will it be a paid upgrade. i cannot see apple charging for this, a few months after charging for 10.2, but i could be wrong?

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
What is metadata
It's information attached to a file, which give more info about the content of the file. Like on an mp3 song, you would have "Title", "Artist", "Album name", etc... at filesystem level. This allows you to search or sort songs by artist directly in the finder (provided that the finder is updated to use metadata). This was available under BeOS too, and could be added easily to HFS+.

beos that would mean a whole new OS its just a upgrade remember. I think 10.3 maybe a emluation of some sort of BeOs becasue to re give a filing system first would it be compatible.
I'm not talking about BeOS emulation. It's just a simple change in the low level of the fs and add an API to be able to monitor changes in the filesystem. Not much more complicated than adding journaling to HFS+ (which has already been done).

What do you mean new "USABLE" open/save dialog expand.
I want to be able to have list view, or icon view. Column view is not appropriate. Also a popup menu to go back in the folder hierachy, and beeing able to create a folder or rename an item from the dialog.
( Last edited by pat++; Mar 21, 2003 at 05:22 PM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:45 PM

Personally, I'd also like to see better use of sharing between user accounts on the same system. I'd like to be able to share my iTunes library with other members of my family on my iMac at home and share iPhoto libraries (or parts of them) as well.
For the iTunes library, this will come with iTunes 4 and Rendez-vous

Concerning sharing, I'd like to be able to share any folder easily (not just Public). It's ridiculous to limit sharing to a single folder.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:

10. Newer I chat for yahoo as well.
Yahoo for iChat, doubt that. I reckon ICQ will arrive eventually, seeing as there has been some merge with certain companies ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 05:17 PM

I think Apple will give us features we never dreamed of and we will wonder why we never thought of it before.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I think Apple will give us features we never dreamed of and we will wonder why we never thought of it before.
maybe more on digital hub. Since sony and apple are compeating sorts. with the the ps3 being a multi entertaniment system all in one type of deal. More inkwell usage with programs etc comming out at the same time. Better programs that are on windwos that was never on macs. since there web site did mention IT etc stuff like that. Maybe more twords big companys now.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 06:26 PM

I am hoping more for a totally updated Aqua and Dock rather then all the nitpicky stuff.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 06:52 PM

Just another reason to love OS X and forget about Mac OS 9's snappiness.

bewebste
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 06:58 PM

- Updated Applescript: this will include an update to the Applescript language itself, a new XML format for scripting dictionaries, and additional AS support in some applications, especially System Preferences
- Perhaps a final release of Safari as the new default browser (IE still included) along with the WebCore framework being available to developers. This could also mean updates to Help Viewer and Mail's HTML display if they switch to using WebCore
- Rendezvous all over the place
- Additional Sherlock channels
- iTunes 4 (although this might come before Panther)
- Appleworks update (again, perhaps before Panther)
- Additional smartening of the installer
- Better scanner support
- Quartz updated to support newest PDF spec
- iChat update, maybe called iChat 2
- Maybe some new .Mac features, like the rumored music downloading service
- Dev tools update (duh)
- I, too, would like to see sharing of arbitrary folders rather than being chained to the "Public" folder
- Finder updates
  • FTP support finished
  • Better updating of windows when in background
  • Better preview functionality, including better configuration, turning on/off by file type, etc.
  • Improved Find dialog (like, how about being able to resize the thing!)
- Dock updates
  • Folders in the dock become spring loaded
  • Hide applications from their dock menus
  • Close windows from their dock menus
  • Maybe minimize-in-place or some variant thereof

Some of these I know for sure, some are speculation. You decide which are which.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2003, 10:47 PM

Safari shipped as default browser, IE also included
Keynote preview included on CD
Journaling option added to the installer
VCD support added to DVD player
GUI Scripting added to Applescript
Virtual Multiple Desktops
X11 Included in the developer tools
Clock option on login screen
Software Update logs externally applied updates
Application specific volume control (from the system preferences)
The ability to have a customizable toolbar on Brushed Metal apps
Safari Rendering engine integrated into sherlock, mail and help viewer
Text Edit 1.3 (New toolbar icons, customizable toolbar)
Inkwell 1.1 (Accuracy increased)
Icon Picker (system wide access from all apps, including finder get info, mail, address book, ichat, login prefs)
Pantone references in Color Picker
Log out with save state (like VPC)
Text To Speech 2 (2 New voices,"Woody" and "Jessy" Licensed from Babel Technologies)
Dock 2.0 (Drag items into Sub Folders, reposition and pin by dragging separator, Badged warning signs to indicate application status.

The dock automaticaly updates minimised windows like websites, in the same way that quicktime movies play.

Finder enhancements:
Click and half spring loaded folders
Safari bookmarks included in 'Go menu'
Improved threading (ie a finder open dialog does not dominate the finder)
Automatic placement of Library files, ie screeneffects, Fonts, iTunes plug-ins
Show view options added to contextual menu
Contextual menu "Help" option does a search for the item you clicked on in the help viewer.
Spell checking service in Finder
Tiling window background images
Pop up windows in finder
More interface sounds
Clipping refinements
Setting for 1,2 or 3 line file names in Finder preferences
Toolbar icons are file type specific, i.e. select an image file and image specific options become available, select a disk and eject becomes available, these are customizable in the customize toolbar dialog.
Folder actions in Contextual menus
Copy dialogs are smaller and can be minimized to the dock while still showing progress.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 11:56 PM

What about Fast User Switching (� la Windows XP)? It's really about time we had that.

I'm sick of having to quit 15 apps and log out just because someone wants on my machine to check their e-mail for 5 minutes.

Mike S.
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by plyxrbo:
will it be a paid upgrade. i cannot see apple charging for this, a few months after charging for 10.2, but i could be wrong?
Apple used to release yearly paid upgrades to Mac OS 7/8/9 and they costed $99.

It's the same deal with Mac OS X except the new upgrade price is $129.

It'll cost $129.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 06:19 AM

I hope they bring back some style of labelling feature.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Laauuren
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 06:44 AM

But will the hardware requirements render all G3's obsolete for Panther? I am concerned about that.
Smile. It will make people wonder what you're thinking.

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Laauuren:
But will the hardware requirements render all G3's obsolete for Panther? I am concerned about that.
Actually, it should be quite the opposite.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 08:21 AM

- iChat update, maybe called iChat 2

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 09:15 AM

and beeing able to create a folder or rename an item from the dialog
We can already create new folders from the save dialog. And if you want to save with a new name, you just type that in too.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 09:50 AM

I want a button in the dock that clears the desktop of windows. Same style as Windows...
DI

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 10:20 AM

I know we've got Firewire 800 now, but I'd still like to see support for USB2 and USB2 ports on new Macs.

Mainly because there are a lot more USB2 devices around, and they are much cheaper than the Firewire 800 alternatives.

Just a though...
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by as2:
I know we've got Firewire 800 now, but I'd still like to see support for USB 2 and USB 2 ports on new Macs.
FYI, if you have a Power Mac, you can use USB 2 devices at full speed with, for example, the Orange Micro USB 2 PCI card, which comes with native OS X drivers (downloadable from their web site)...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by dannyillusion:
I want a button in the dock that clears the desktop of windows. Same style as Windows...
Get
Show Desktop... that is exactly what it was meant for.

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I am hoping more for a totally updated Aqua and Dock rather then all the nitpicky stuff.
No way, Apple basically just got people used to the way X works compared to 9, they wouldn't f*ck with everybody again. I'm for it though, I've been using X since the october Public Beta, I'm ready for breakthrough interface design.

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 12:28 PM

Work with Novell to make the mail.app a Groupwise compatible client.

Also, work with Adobe to include a smaller distiller-like app with OS X. Sort of like it does this and this, but if you want it to do this other great stuff -it's only this amount.

Am also wondering if anybody knows if the 970 motherboards have USB 2 support on them?

NeilCharter
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 01:23 PM

Has anyone else noticed that OS X behavior is progressively becoming more in line with windows. I think this is more deliberate than simply copying windows features. It seems that it is designed to soften the blow for switches.

For example most of the iApps have the most frequently used features in the app window, so you rarely have to go to the top menu bar.

The development of apps to emulate those used extensively in corporate offices is also coming on.

The ability to have multiple finder windows open showing the same folder etc.

It looks to me that making OS X behave moe consitantly to windows is one priority (though they won't admit it) for Apple.

The one feature I do admire in windows is the integration of calender, mail, address book, etc in a single app Outlook. For most companies this is essential for their operation.

In the absence of a mac version of outlook that would interact efficiently in a windows environment, I believe that a similar approach for apple Mail, iCal, address book etc would be good. I find it annoying to have to run 3 different apps that need to interact often.

What do you think?

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

mpbritt
Mar 22, 2003, 01:39 PM

Yes, Panther will be a paid release. Once Panther is released it will have been over a year since the release of Jaguar so it will not be "a few months"

I simply don't understand this confusion about when and why Apple charges for major dot releases of Mac OS. They have been charging for them since the release of Mac OS 7.5 (ie: 7.6, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, etc). Every major dot release since then has been a paid upgrade, and Panther, at version 10.3 will be a paid upgrade at $129. I bought every one of those paid upgrades, as well as the upgrades to Mac OS 10.1 and 10.2, and I did not complain.
Michael

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 01:56 PM

I think 10.3 will bring increased zestiness to the user experience. I don't have very specific complaints or requests for Panther. I think that 10.3 should be a newly zestified version of 10.2.

I think many of my complaints on using OSX stem from my computer being such a dinosaur. Pismo 400 with 768 RAM, not the quickest machine for such a visually zesty operating system, eh?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mpbritt
Mar 22, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
<snip>
The one feature I do admire in windows is the integration of calender, mail, address book, etc in a single app Outlook. For most companies this is essential for their operation.

In the absence of a mac version of outlook that would interact efficiently in a windows environment, I believe that a similar approach for apple Mail, iCal, address book etc would be good. I find it annoying to have to run 3 different apps that need to interact often.

What do you think?

Neil
I have to use Outlook at work on my PC and I think this app is the biggest piece of junk I have to use. Outlook tries to be all things to all people and performs none of its features very well.

The filters are complicated and hard to use, and don't work very well. The interface is cluttered and hard to work with. It's unstable, for me. And it's handling of replying to messages is completely erratic. I hate it when Outlook colors the text of my replys that stupid blue color for no reason at all.

My personal preference is to have seperate apps, like Mail, iCal and Address Book, that all do one thing and do it well. Even though all 3 of these apps need improvements, they are coming along nicely.

Given a choice I will not willingly use Outlook.
Michael

NeilCharter
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 02:39 PM

I personally perfer the integrated format for a calender, mail and address book, simply because it is a faster way to switch between the different functions.

I agree that Outlook has many problems - the address book is pretty crap.

BUT and this is a big but, this system is one reason for corporations not to switch to macs and OS X. If Apple had a comparable offering that either functions similarly or can work within a windows network, then it would remove one more roadblock to getting macs into the office environment.

You have to admit that the ease of networking with windows using OS X has helped Apple's case. But there is still a lot to do before Mac will get accept into that environment. And remember it would go a long way to increasing Apple's marketshare if they could penetrate that market.

Neil

bewebste
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Clock option on login screen
Yeah, forgot this one. This is a no-brainer, and it'd be just plain stupid if they didn't add this.

Software Update logs externally applied updates
Software Update respects updates that are installed via .pkg files, but respecting drag and drop installs would be cool too

The ability to have a customizable toolbar on Brushed Metal apps
You can have this under 10.2 already. Maybe there just aren't any apps that happen to be both brushed metal and have a toolbar.

Text To Speech 2 (2 New voices,"Woody" and "Jessy" Licensed from Babel Technologies)
I've been waiting for new voices for a while now. They've improved the existing ones in bits and pieces over the past couple years, but they're still pretty bad sounding and need to start fresh with a new synthesizer.

Dock 2.0 (Drag items into Sub Folders, reposition and pin by dragging separator, Badged warning signs to indicate application status.
For the record, you can reposition the dock under 10.2 by shift-dragging the separator.

Safari bookmarks included in 'Go menu'
Don't think we'll see this, but I do think that having a centralized bookmark database is way over due (and no, putting bookmark files in the Favorites folder doesn't count, Apple)

ambush
Banned
Mar 22, 2003, 08:55 PM

I just wish they will upgrade the Finder.

The Finder as it is right now looks/acts like a big damn ****ing cheap evil hack.

TonyIC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 08:55 PM

I just love my University software program. I got Jaguar and 10.1 for $10 dollars each.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 10:14 PM

Does this mean I should wait until the next Revision of the 17" Powerbook?! Or do I just go ahead and upgrade it and it will work just fine?
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

NeilCharter
Senior User
Mar 22, 2003, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Does this mean I should wait until the next Revision of the 17" Powerbook?! Or do I just go ahead and upgrade it and it will work just fine?

A 17 inch PB will work fine with OS X upgrades for a number of years so I wouldn't worry. I have a 4 year old powermac G4 that works fine with 10.2.

Also I believe it is common for new macs to come with a voucher for a free upgrade to the next OS revision that made be good for the next 6 months. You only need to pay shipping and handling.

Enjoy the mac when it comes.

Neil

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:

A 17 inch PB will work fine with OS X upgrades for a number of years so I wouldn't worry. I have a 4 year old powermac G4 that works fine with 10.2.

Also I believe it is common for new macs to come with a voucher for a free upgrade to the next OS revision that made be good for the next 6 months. You only need to pay shipping and handling.

Enjoy the mac when it comes.

Neil
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that they send the voucher!
Thanks for putting me at ease
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 01:46 AM

Quote:

not exactly correct. yes, there are usually "up-to-date" coupons included with the OS, but in *most* cases they are good from a date that Apple specifies which normally seems to be when Apple announces the official "shipping" date of the updated OS. So, just because Apple will be showing off a developer preview of 10.3 in June, don't get your hopes up that you'll be entitled to a free copy...it is much more likely that there will be an announcement sometime late in the summer of 10.3's official release date and from tht date forward any systems that ship might get a "free" upgrade.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

bzImage
Mar 23, 2003, 02:19 AM

Im barely new with apple (yes, a switcher), and reading this thread i just found so many people giving advice and the things that they want in the new os..

Did Apple really care about this comments and what the users want ?

Someone at apple read this ?

Or just like the "other" software companies they release bug-grades and no real features ?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by bzImage:
Im barely new with apple (yes, a switcher), and reading this thread i just found so many people giving advice and the things that they want in the new os..

Did Apple really care about this comments and what the users want ?

Someone at apple read this ?

Or just like the "other" software companies they release bug-grades and no real features ?

Most of the features in 10.1 and 10.2 were introduced as a direct result from feedback from Mac users, its generaly accepted that if enough people ask for a freature (apart from themes) Apple will seriously consider implementing it.

Apple has a feedback page on their website to do this.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I just wish they will upgrade the Finder.

The Finder as it is right now looks/acts like a big damn ****ing cheap evil hack.
Surely the new Finder will be a Cocoa App

higuy83
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by sweatervest:
Get
Show Desktop... that is exactly what it was meant for.
Thanks... I too have been looking for something like this.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 04:35 PM

I really like the idea about the BeOS like file system, although they'd probably have to check if Palm has any pattents on the stuff that was in BeOS and if apple would be able to use this without a hefty licencing fee.

But isn't that the direction windows is going too?

Anyway, as far as what I'd like to see... really I'd just like to see more snappyness, I didn't buy Jaguar becuase of lack of cash, but I do intend to buy panther, although I might just end up with it on my Laptop when I buy that, either way I'll probably install a copy on my iMac Rev D, and it would be nice to be able to use this Mac for stuff far into the future

Not as my primary machine, but perhaps as a file server, / MP3 player, heck if I do work with my church's Youth Group I could use it as a sterio for the youth group we're supposed to get.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 11:18 PM

I want Minimize in Place!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
I really like the idea about the BeOS like file system, although they'd probably have to check if Palm has any pattents on the stuff that was in BeOS and if apple would be able to use this without a hefty licencing fee.
Would Apple pay a fee? or just buy them out to get key BeOS tech so that the BeFS guy can work his magic?

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 06:16 AM

Speaking of BeOS, I'd never really heard of it until recently, but if you want to see a 'snappy' (awful fscking term) OS, then this one seemed pretty quick - It shows four videos playing at once, while encoding MP3s etc...

The video is pretty big (.avi), so broadband only. It interested me enough to think about running it on an old PC when it's released.

video link [large]

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 06:23 AM

For what it is worth, Slashdot says 10.3 will be out in June. I'm not sure about that. If it is, I half wonder if that says something about 970 systems as well. I always thought 10.3 would be the upgrade that had the 64bit code. I can't see them *not* having 64 bit code in a major release and then more or less requiring a new version 2 months later. Of course the software might be finished in advance of the hardware being available in sufficient yields.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 09:04 AM

I hope they just use a frickin Finder Window as the Open/Save Dialog box.

Why for heavens sake did they have to invent a new widget for this anyway?

cu Martin

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
[B]Speaking of BeOS, I'd never really heard of it until recently, but if you want to see a 'snappy' (awful fscking term) OS, then this one seemed pretty quick - It shows four videos playing at once, while encoding MP3s etc...

The video is pretty big (.avi), so broadband only. It interested me enough to think about running it on an old PC when it's released.

BeOS, the Finder updating the on disk vnode, or somehting. I
believe, so the file appears immediately. On X there is the function
FNNotify() I believe to update the file from an app. Forget this though, if
you want to make files appear automatically, check out the touch command, if
you don't see a file after saving it, you can issue a touch command in the
terminal. If you want to automate it, you can put this in your crontab file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules