Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Eudora 6.0 sports REFINED INTERFACE!

Eudora 6.0 sports REFINED INTERFACE!
NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 04:24 PM

No more opening multiple windows for each mailbox. Now it works very much like Mail. You have a Mailbox Drawer, and each mailbox appears in the same window.

It also has built-in junk filters like Mail.

Here's the link...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 04:28 PM

Still sucks I am sure...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 05:05 PM

I just tried it quickly and can not see any major interface changes like what you describe.

Also, where did beta 1 through 15 go of version 6.0? And there wasn't even an official 5.2.x release, huh?

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 05:21 PM

CheesePuff, remember how with Eudora 5 and before, you had to open a new window when you opened a different mailbox? Now, just click on the mailbox icon in the upper right corner and a drawer pops out the side like Mail. Now all your mailboxes show up in the main window, rather than spawning a new window for each box.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 7, 2003, 05:36 PM

someone post some screenshots, so i don't have to bother installing it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 05:58 PM

I always thought the drawer of Mail.app was its worse UI feature. I was rather praying that with 10.3 Mail.app will get a pane ala Outlook.

Leave it to Eudora to adopt the parts of Mail that suck. . .

dettociao
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 06:33 PM

Mulberry r0x0rs! (www.cyrusoft.com)
-.-
12" SuperDrive

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 07:36 PM

That Mulbury looks good. Has anyone used it?

My big thing about Mail.app is the integrated interactive spellchecking. (Which Outlook also has) I also love the Bayesian spam filter (although I wish it could apply to any kind of rule as a general categorizer and not just junk mail)

It doesn't look like Mulbury (or Eudora) does this.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 7, 2003, 07:44 PM

The current Eudora (5.2.x) doesn't do spam filtering, but it does spell-check.

To those of you who hate Eudora: some of us like it! Especially after using it for 6 years, reliably, you learn to appreciate that it'll recognize almost anything as a mailbox (easy to recover from file damage!), has modest memory requirements, and above all, doesn't do real HTML (yes, that's a benefit!). With Eudora, I don't have to worry about invisible GIF files alerting spammers to my existence.

tooki

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2003, 11:10 PM

That drawer is the ugliest looking drawer I have ever seen. The entire Eudora interface looks really out of place on OS X.

pliny
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 11:24 PM

someone post a screeny, eh? who said the mail drawer scukcs?
i look in your general direction

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 11:38 PM

I don't know, I've always liked Mail's interface. I use Eudora on Windows. I think I'll keep it that way.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
The current Eudora (5.2.x) doesn't do spam filtering, but it does spell-check.

To those of you who hate Eudora: some of us like it! Especially after using it for 6 years, reliably, you learn to appreciate that it'll recognize almost anything as a mailbox (easy to recover from file damage!), has modest memory requirements, and above all, doesn't do real HTML (yes, that's a benefit!). With Eudora, I don't have to worry about invisible GIF files alerting spammers to my existence.

tooki
Mail > Preferences > Viewing > Display images and Embedded objects in HTML pages.

Uncheck. Done!
Computer thez nohhh...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2003, 01:06 AM

I never could figure out why Eurora needed OS 9.1 to handle SSL, and attempts to enable SSL on pre OS 9 machines would cause it to crash hard despite the fact taht SSL works fine in Messenger which will run under 7.6 (I believe), and OE under 8.1.

For a while, the SSL thing was a real hack. It was hard recommending Eudora in places where SSL is a requirement. I'm glad the feature has finally been added to their OS X version (recently).

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 8, 2003, 06:00 AM

ugh. i went and installed it. it looked just like it did when i used to use v.3.0, so i trashed it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2003, 06:54 AM

Post some screenshots please.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2003, 08:50 AM

I guess I just like supporting Apple and Mail.app. I'm betting on the general refinements that go along with all of the Apple applications. Hopefully we will see big improvements in 10.3 and Mail.app.

superfula
Senior User
May 10, 2003, 02:13 PM

How do you get the one window gui? I dl it and it looks like the same Eudora...8000 windows open everywhere.

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2003, 02:34 PM

Here's a screenshot...

Eudora 6.0

I highlighted in red the icon that opens the drawer.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

One word: ugly. It looks like AppleWorks - OS9ish interface. Toolbar is anchored to the top of the screen? Ugh.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2003, 09:36 PM

nasty looking

Hey Mail is only at 1.2.5....any hope of 2.0 with Panther?

krove
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 09:37 PM

Good god! Mail all the way baby...

That thing looks like it was designed by someone stuck in the 90s, back when Classic ruled in its day. Ugh...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 10, 2003, 09:38 PM

I still don't understand why in the hell anyone uses this crap?

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2003, 11:57 PM

Eudora has been the only email app that I've used that can handle tens of thousands of emails quickly (about 200 megs of email). Quick searches, quick resorting of mail boxes, quick opening of mailboxes (try that in Mail).

I've switched twice to Mail and twice back to Eudora. In my mind, the way it stores mailboxes is superior to most programs, except for a couple Unix apps like Pine (which I also use).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2003, 12:01 AM

can I ask what you have in your mailbox that takes up 200 meg and needs to remain in your mailbox?

Mac007
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 01:02 AM

Why do some folks still use Eudora you ask.
The same reason not everybody drinks the same soda, drives the same car, or uses the same computer.
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by besson3c:
can I ask what you have in your mailbox that takes up 200 meg and needs to remain in your mailbox?
probably alot of the same stuff that keeps my mailbox in the 1.5 gig range. Lets see mail handle that...oh wait, it can't.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2003, 01:28 AM

Okay, what could you possibly have in your mail that would be 1.5 gigs that can't be transferred or stored elsewhere?

Isn't that that kind of like an accident waiting to happen? Plus, I don't understand how this could be convenient.

Not criticising, just confused!

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 11, 2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Mac007:
Why do some folks still use Eudora you ask.
The same reason not everybody drinks the same soda, drives the same car, or uses the same computer.
Well I would like to know what features it has that draws one to it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2003, 01:30 AM

Well, it has nice pop-up ads...

goose
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 02:24 AM

I wonder if it can format email messages better than Mail.app does. It seems that when I add formating (bold text, colors, etc.) it does not stick when other people open them up in their mail clients. Also, images I "carefully" place inline in my sentences only show up as attachments. Only people who also use Mail can view the formatting that was made in the email message.

Yes, I know these other mail clients are not as good as Mail, but those are the ones they use.

There's never enough when you have too little

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 04:40 AM

Regarding the big mailboxes:

I really apreciate the fact that I don't have to care how big they get.

In every other mail app I have to look after them, cudle them, care for them, clean them out, etc.

In Eudora it just works.

I can tell you, you can get verry used to this style of working on a mac.

Oh, and Eudora is _darn_ fast.

cu Martin

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 04:44 AM

Ohh, and has anybody of you got the content concentrator to work?

That's going to be an awesome feature.

cu Martin

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2003, 05:22 PM

I've been an alpha- and beta-tester of Eudora since at least 1995, so perhaps I'm not the most unbiased of folks, but let me try to wade in here:

Eudora 6 has a spam-detecting framework, and at least one functioning spam filter (a Bayesian one which gets almost everything which slams me). You may play with this Junk Mail feature RIGHT NOW. Enjoy!

You have the choice between one window per mailbox or the slide-out pane. No choice is made for you.

Eudora does handle HTML.

Eudora has floating ads for those of you who don't place a small value on reading email, that's what pays the developers. They need to eat as often as you do. Eudora is cheap, and the ads go away.

Many of us belong to a good number of mailing lists, and have stored almost a decade of personal and professional email correspondence. The ability to quickly find and refer to email is pretty amazing. It's eerie how many times I'll remember that I talked to that person about that thing (and I can search for and find it; quickly).

Many of us have a number of email personalities, a number of personal or professional POP accounts, and like to have a set of prefs, stationary, and signatures for each of them.

I've tried Mail.app, MailSmith (for which I was a beta-tester), and several other mailers. Eudora is the workhorse.

It's not without user interface flaws, and some choices Steve Dorner has made aren't the ones I might have made (and I've told him so), but having a robust mail program which evolves to run on the current operating system, which has the power to store and search so much data, and which just works without any thought to it, is priceless.

Eudora rules!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 12, 2003, 08:58 PM

Mail.app sucks... for me at least. Chokes on my folders with 10,000+ messages in them. So its useless to me if it can't handle that.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 11:32 PM

I've used Eudora since Claris em@iler was dying. I really didn't want to leave what I felt was the best but times had changed. I no longer had either a CompuServe or an AOL account so Eudora could do the job.

It's not pretty. I don't buy productivity software to be pretty. It must work and not get in my way. Mail.app is much nicer looking and for the person who has an account with no history, it's great.

Right now, I've got most of eight years of e-mails, in and out. Eudora on Mac OS X doesn't think twice about it.
folding@home is good for you.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 12, 2003, 11:38 PM

The problem with Eudora is that it has a bad interface, the layout is bad and even the non-bolding of important sections is a joke. It can have all the features in the world but if it looks like crap and is hard to use it can hit the road.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2003, 02:37 AM

What specifically don't you like about the interface?

What about the layout is bad?

What do you mean by "non-bolding of important sections"?
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 13, 2003, 03:31 AM

Someone needs to carbonize Claris Em@iler 2.0

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 09:35 AM

Here is what I said earlier this thread (modified and updated)

I never could figure out why Eurora needed OS 9.1 to handle SSL, and attempts to enable SSL on pre OS 9 machines would cause it to crash hard on OS versions Eudora claimed to support, despite the fact taht SSL works fine in Messenger which will run under 7.6 (I believe), and OE under 8.1.

Also, in the OS 9 version of Eudora the use of the Keychain was REQUIRED or else Eudora would pretend to work, but simply wouldn't (with no specific feedback). Specifically, you simply had to create a keychain and password, and there really wasn't any indication of this.

The IMAP support is incredibly shoddy and not well thought out either. To me, Eudora may have been a great POP client in its day but it simply wasn't designed to be a modern email solution. In fairness, I haven't used the OS X version of Eudora to see if these problems were solved, but I know the SSL support was a rather late addition to the OS X version (which is very important in places where SSL is required).

So, I'm confused by people who say that "Eudora simply works"... To me, it is one giant kludge and new features like SSL and IMAP support seem like a patch on top of a hack.

For those who claim that Eudora is great at handling large mailbox sizes, a mailbox is really just a giant text file. Perhaps Eudora is faster at ripping through this because it doesn't have to worry about junk mail flags, and possibly other IMAP flags?

Personally, I'd rather enjoy the features of a modern email client rather than use Eudora.

techtrucker
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 11:35 AM

Anyone here remember Cyberdog? For some strange reason I always liked it.
Can anyone give a comparison of Eudora vs MailSmith? Being a big BBEdit fan and wanting more than Mail.app offers I'm starting to think about a switch...Thanks!

Steve W
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 12:13 PM

maybe if you let us know what features you are looking for that Mail doesn't have...?

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Anyone here remember Cyberdog? For some strange reason I always liked it.
Can anyone give a comparison of Eudora vs MailSmith? Being a big BBEdit fan and wanting more than Mail.app offers I'm starting to think about a switch...Thanks!

Steve W

One big advantage Eudora has over MailSmith is the integrity of the format in which it stores mail. MailSmith dumps everything into a huge database that is notorious for being prone to corruption. Eudora on the other hand, stores all of its attachments in a separate folder, while its mailboxes are just text files. This means the chance of serious corruption is virtually nil. And any little problem you might have, and I stress that is a highly UNLIKELY "might", is easily fixed as you can just open the mailbox in BBEdit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 12:31 PM

so does Eudora use mbox files?

I believe that Pine uses these, and Mail does as well (and possibly Entourage)

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 12:56 PM

Basically yes. There might be slight differences in Eudora's implementation of it, but that's basically what it is. That's why there's people with a single mailbox measuring 1.5G in size, and they haven't had a single problem with, and what's more, Eudora still opens it as fast as if it only had a couple of e-mails in it.

This is one area where even Apple's implementation of the mbox format is inferior to Eudora. Apple doesn't effectively separate the attachments like Eudora does. Not only does this mean there's more of a chance for corruption, as every forum testifies to, but it makes it a lot harder to remove attachments from an e-mail. With Eudora, the attachments are already separated. So you can just browser your attachments folder if you want.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 12:59 PM

What if the attachment was a virus or images in a porn spam?

Attachments are MIME encoded. How can MIME encoded text become corrupt any more than regular text could be?

techtrucker
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
One big advantage Eudora has over MailSmith is the integrity of the format in which it stores mail. MailSmith dumps everything into a huge database that is notorious for being prone to corruption. Eudora on the other hand, stores all of its attachments in a separate folder, while its mailboxes are just text files. This means the chance of serious corruption is virtually nil. And any little problem you might have, and I stress that is a highly UNLIKELY "might", is easily fixed as you can just open the mailbox in BBEdit.
Thanks, that's just the kind of information I was looking for...

Steve W
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
What if the attachment was a virus or images in a porn spam?

Attachments are MIME encoded. How can MIME encoded text become corrupt any more than regular text could be?
First off, viruses aren't even an issue. I have a whole folder of PC viruses stored on my computer, that either friends or clients have accidently sent me. So them sitting in an attachments folder isn't going to hurt. If you get one, just delete it.

Second, as for porn spam, or any other garbage, just delete them. That's what I did.

Third, as for the way Mail store attachments, the inline method creates a lot of problems. For example, I routinely get e-mails from clients that have attachments that can't be detached from the message. There's no way of getting it out, and saving it to my computer. The only way is to forward it back to myself. For some reason, once I receive the copy that I send to myself, I can get the file out. If it's a big file, even on cable, it's a pain in the butt to have to do that. With Eudora, it's not an issue. Eudora separates the attachment for you, while still keeping it linked to the e-mail it came in. So when you view the message in Eudora, it displays just as any other e-mail client would.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 02:41 PM

interesting...

I wasn't suggesting that the PC virii would affect you on the Mac, but I was pointing out that perhaps there are some drawbacks with filling up your HD with this sort of crap. Not a direct threat in the sense that the PC virus might be inadvertingly executed (even in which case it would be harmless), but just the idea of using your HD as an incubator for this sort of unnecessary junk. It would suck, for instance, if an attachment hosed the HFS file structure will trying to save itself, for instance - probably a long-shot, but this was sort of what I was thinking.

I haven't had the problem with attachments that you have, but I certainly see your logic of the merits of the Eudora way of dealing with attachments in these circumstances.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2003, 02:57 PM

To echo what a previous poster said, I have all my emails (minus junk) from the last 6 years. If I need something a prof said freshman year, bam, there it is. Its lightning fast in searching, sorting, browsing.

Also, and this is pure personal preference, I really don't like 1 window interfaces in email programs. I like being able to access my mailboxes from the menu, have the box open, and a quick double click opens up the mailbox.

Imap isn't as bad as it is made out to be. I can see where some might not like it, but it's essentially the same as in Mail (Imap boxes are separated from local ones) and in Pine. The SSL thing was annoying for that year that I was in OS X...

I just wish the developer would get his butt in gear about integration with Address Book....

Forum Links
Forum Rules