Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > mySQL DISASTER! HELP!

mySQL DISASTER! HELP!
Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 11:07 PM

Hi there,
I need some major mySQL help. I installed it with the directions from this page, and all was going well. I set the root password, but now no matter what I do, I absolutely can't log in to mySQL. No matter what user, any password I give it, it does not let me in.

I tried rm -rf ing the /usr/local/mySQL folder, installing it again, it didn't help. Please help me!

All I need to do is make it work, and make a database, name it, and load a schema file that I'm given. Can someone help me please? Thanks!

gabe

bluedog
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 11:21 AM

Here's a page that describes resetting the MySQL root password:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html

It might be useful for you to look at the online manual (or download it as a PDF) as a reference on using MySQL.

After removing your installation directory, did you then try and reinstall? And that didn't work?

Good luck!

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2003, 11:59 AM

Hi,
I tried following those directions before. The problem was that when I sent a kill to mysqld, it wouldn't actually stop. If I did kill -9 it (like they said not to) then it would stop, but start right back up again.

yes, I did delete the whole folder, reinstall, and it still had the same mystery password from before.

any ideas?
gabe

Colonel_Panic
May 14, 2003, 12:14 AM

Silly question but did you try loging in as root without a password?

Forum Links
Forum Rules