Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is Smeagol?

What is Smeagol?
Crufty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 02:08 AM

Is it a 64-bit clean version of OS X? It's mentioned right at the bottom of this page.

A new OSX API has also been proposed that will provide a superset of the existing Gestalt, sysctl, and _cpu_capabilities functionality. This API will be named OSSystemInfo and is scheduled to appear in Smeagol and Panther

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2003, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by Crufty:
Is it a 64-bit clean version of OS X? It's mentioned right at the bottom of this page.
Good question.

That name keeps poping up...

Anyone ?

-t

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:14 AM

It is the special build of OS X 10.2 (10.2.7, to be exact) that runs only on the new PowerMac G5s.

ThinkSecret and eWeek both alluded to this code name, I believe.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Crufty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by krove:
It is the special build of OS X 10.2 (10.2.7, to be exact) that runs only on the new PowerMac G5s.

Have to disagree here... AFAIK Apple does not assign code names to point releases as they are referred by build number only.

i.e. OSX 10.0 is "Cheetah", OS X 10.1 is "Puma", OS X 10.2 is "Jaguar", OS X 10.3 is "Panther" etc.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 06:34 AM

Have to disagree here... AFAIK Apple does not assign code names to point releases as they are referred by build number only.
10.2.6 is called Pink and the other point updates have code names too.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 10:48 AM

i.e. OSX 10.0 is "Cheetah", OS X 10.1 is "Puma", OS X 10.2 is "Jaguar", OS X 10.3 is "Panther" etc.
Smeagol has appeared in official Apple material. As krove said, it's a special build of 10.2, optimized for the G5.

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 11:45 AM

Smeagol is the original name of Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I think its before he became evil or whathaveyou.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jun 24, 2003, 12:44 PM

Smeagol is the 10.2.7 build for the G5 as stated earlier: essentially Jaguar for the G5. Smeagol is referred to in the "Blah!" technote about the G5 architecture as well as the full VeriTest documentation (on their website) about the benchmarking tests they ran for the G5. (Basically, they stated that it was running a 6Sxx build called 10.2.7.)
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2003, 01:57 PM

Smeagol is a special build of Jaguar, compiled to run on the G5 processor. There will probably be no new features, except perhaps for bugfixes that come up between now and August.

In all probability, very little work will be done on the Jaguar codebase, other than what is absolutely necessary to run on the G5 chip (which shouldn't be much). In particular, Apple is probably not going to spend a lot of time optimizing for the G5; it will run, but without a great deal of optimization (make no mistake, it'll still be faster than the current Jaguar, but only because of the raw speed difference of the chip rather than its new architecture).

There are two reasons for this. One, Jaguar Is Going Away, and I wouldn't be surprised if G5 buyers get a free upgrade to Panther anyway, so it's essentially a waste of effort that could be spent optimizing Panther. Two, it will make Panther look even better speedwise, which is a Good Thing from a marketing perspective.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by krove:

Maybe it's crawling around on it's belly looking for The Precioussss...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 24, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Maybe it's crawling around on it's belly looking for The Precioussss...
From my thread:

(Thx, MindFad!)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 24, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Smeagol has appeared in official Apple material. As krove said, it's a special build of 10.2, optimized for the G5.
I would assume that "optimized" really means "changed enough that it will boot and support the hardware goodies."

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2003, 07:42 AM

I would hope that "optimized" means that it is recompiled to run utilizing all 64-bits of the G5. Apple says "it's so easy to do" so have they done it?

Does this mean no more 10.2.x updates for us G4s? I guess we wait for Panther...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2003, 10:54 PM

haha I love that... but did anyone else picture gollum as more of a black slithery creature and less like a balding starving etheopian child with a bad complexion?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
From my thread:

(image stripped)
Hah, you beat me to it.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by mr100percent:
Smeagol is the original name of Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I think its before he became evil or whathaveyou.
Hahhahahahahah

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 06:18 AM

And Sm�agol went plunging to his death into the fiery depths of Mount Doom.

Is that a clue to what will happen to Jaguar when Panther comes on the prowl?

PS Sorry about wrecking the plot of LOTR:Return of the King for you. No need to see it now. Play with your G5 instead.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
; it will run, but without a great deal of optimization (make no mistake, it'll still be faster than the current Jaguar, but only because of the raw speed difference of the chip rather than its new architecture).
This doesn't make sense. It will be faster because of the chip? So then why will Jag not run just as fast , if it is only because of the chip?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
And Sm�agol went plunging to his death into the fiery depths of Mount Doom.

Is that a clue to what will happen to Jaguar when Panther comes on the prowl?

PS Sorry about wrecking the plot of LOTR:Return of the King for you. No need to see it now. Play with your G5 instead.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
FSCK YOU!

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
I would hope that "optimized" means that it is recompiled to run utilizing all 64-bits of the G5.
Please understand that almost every programm under the sun running on a 64 bit operationg system and chip will be not a bit faster than running on a 32 bit chip of the same speed.

64 bit only means that integer variables can hold numbers quite a bit larger than on a 32 bit mashine which in itself doesn't speed up software not depending on this. (Technically speaking they are now 64 bit large instead of 32..) Software that might get a benefit out of this are databases like Oracle, IBM DB2 etc...

For a good explanation have alook here: <http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/x86-64/x86-64-1.html>

cu Martin

Forum Links
Forum Rules