Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Paint chipping? Why not strip it? But how?

Paint chipping? Why not strip it? But how?
bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 10:10 PM

WEll yes Dudes, my Ti 550 is gradually chipping out on the paler contour parts... Well instead of botching it up with TiPaint (which I heard ain't worth cr@p) how about stripping it? The gray Titanium part is intact so I won't be stripping that, but seems that the plastic part is black underneath its cheap paint, so, wouldn't it look cool?

What would be the best way of doing a nice job?

Thx yall!
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 12:27 AM

i would like to know that too. which paint thinner would be best for this job? or acetone? i just wanna strip the white part on the edge of my TiBook off. anyone know?

dialo
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 12:37 AM

do a search.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 02:18 AM

SOLIDAge had the paint on his PowerBook stripped. I believe vmarks did it for him. Here's a link to the thread. It's a shame the picture is no longer up. The stripped PowerBook looked pretty cool.

TiCE PowerBook G4

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by dialo:
do a search.
i tried searching and i couldn't find anything. that's why i asked. so don't try to get smart

Stogieman, thanx. i was looking at that thread earlier. he didn't say what he used. so i guess i'll try emailing him and ask.

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
i would like to know that too. which paint thinner would be best for this job? or acetone? i just wanna strip the white part on the edge of my TiBook off. anyone know?

I've tried a bit of kerosene followed by a lot of rubbing... Not ideal. Kinda sucks actually!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2003, 02:07 AM

I just finished stripping the paint off of my PowerBook's hinges. I used plain old Jasco Brush Cleaner and it worked like a charm. After all of the paint was completely stripped off, I applied Brasso to polish off the titanium and then followed it up with a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. The clear coating should help keep the hinges from oxidizing.

My PowerBook now has the most Bling'in hinges on MacNN.
http://homepage.mac.com/kcrosbie/macnn/hinge1.jpeg

Edit: NO BIG INLINE IMAGES!!!!!!! --tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 18, 2003 at 09:52 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 05:03 PM

Nice hinges... like.... shiny... hubcaps...

very kewl! Thanks for the tip.
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 18, 2003 at 09:51 AM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 07:43 PM

One thing to note... the paint on the carbon-fiber frame also serves to provide some level of shielding, underneath the top layer of paint is a layer of paint with copper powder embedded. I honestly have no idea whether removing that paint completely will have any real affect on a TiBooks perfomance or behavior, however...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by himself:
One thing to note... the paint on the carbon-fiber frame also serves to provide some level of shielding, underneath the top layer of paint is a layer of paint with copper powder embedded. I honestly have no idea whether removing that paint completely will have any real affect on a TiBooks perfomance or behavior, however...
Well, I've been scraping mine off and it's about 70% gone with no influence on performance or behavior. I'd like to scrape it off completely and recoat with.... whatever!

I have no idea, but for now it sure looks like sh!t...

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 08:28 PM

Long ago I did some work on my old 667 DVI.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

The tube of MAAS polishing compound was found at a Wallgreen's drug store. The hinge covers were removed first and stripper was applied and then the polish. I did use the Aircraft Klean-Strip remover on the hinge end tips but realized quickly that the stuff has a tendency to bleed onto other surfaces of the Powerbook. In the end I sent it in to Apple for paint replacement. It came back with misaligned hinges twice. The third time it came back with a broken USB port. The fourth time it came back with a scarred lid and it looked like the guy who worked on it was eating chocolate, which made brown smears on the Ti. After much polite and persistant complaining it came back looking brand new. I sold it for a 17", not wanting to go thru looney tunes paint repair idiocy again with Apple. As far as I am concerned they have never heard of quality control, or simply do not care.
( Last edited by urrl78; Nov 16, 2003 at 08:34 PM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2003, 12:00 AM

I did do the paint removal on Solidage's tiBook. I used a product meant to strip the paint from an aircraft. The active chemical was toluene and methylene chloride.

Savogran SuperStrip was the product. Nasty stuff.

I have pictures, but they aren't online, since solidage's were. My sig is actually from one of the pics- I changed his apple in the lcd from white to blue.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

bobette  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
I did do the paint removal on Solidage's tiBook. I used a product meant to strip the paint from an aircraft. The active chemical was toluene and methylene chloride.

Savogran SuperStrip was the product. Nasty stuff.

I have pictures, but they aren't online, since solidage's were. My sig is actually from one of the pics- I changed his apple in the lcd from white to blue.
Unfortunately Solidage's pics are offline. Would you post a few? Looks like a wicked job...

I like the blue logo. A treatment like that would certainly breathe some life into my old road warrior!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 05:54 PM

sorry about the pics guys, but you gotta cut your loses with the iDisk sometime s ;-)

Vmarks did an amazing job of stripping it. When i got it back, i was breathless at my beautiful baby. I have since sold it though as i needed a faster machine and it was 2 years old when I got it NEW.

The paint stripping does make it look brand new again, from those nasty paint chippings, it also almost COMPLETLY hid a gouge that my Ti took when it was eaten by a recliner...mmm tasty titanium.

Go luck with the process. As I speak Vmarks is now uploading the pictures as I just sent him all the ones I had. Again, good luck.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2003, 06:05 PM

Pics are now online.

http://68.209.206.5/ticebook/index.html

Enjoy, and feel free to comment on the gallery, since it isn't .Mac.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules