Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > My online resume/portfolio.

My online resume/portfolio.
teknik
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 05:55 PM

Im looking for some creative critism here. Comments/complaints are welcome!

www.seanbot.com/dotbot

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 01:51 AM

you could update your version of gallery to 1.4.1 because it has support for skins, and looks a lot better than that drab green. By the way, my gallery use to look like yours, but now it looks better.

Colonel_Panic
Dec 30, 2003, 03:53 AM

Also I believe its Resum�

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 04:43 PM

On the front page all of the buttons take me to a page telling me to follow the top links.

when i click on 'resum�' on the front page I should be taken directly there.... or you should make a big 'enter' button rather than 'false' links.

--will

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by clam2000:
On the front page all of the buttons take me to a page telling me to follow the top links.

when i click on 'resum�' on the front page I should be taken directly there.... or you should make a big 'enter' button rather than 'false' links.

--will
Ahh. Swell thinking. Frames are kind of a pain!

bojangles
Senior User
Jan 2, 2004, 07:17 AM

Very nice. I wish I knew more Flash, but alas, my college specialty was Construction Graphics Communication. (That was a mistake!)

Anyway, I�m intrigued: you�re in the Class of 2004 at your high school, but you�re going to have a B.S. in October?

Finally, I need some help with my own (admittedly simple) portfolio. It looks great in NS7 and Safari, but good ol� IE5 extends the background color too far to the right of the content area. Also, if anyone has a Wintel handy, could you please check it out for me? I�m on a dual-2GHz G5 (poor baby) and therefore don�t have VPC yet.

Thanks!

P.S. On the only content page I�ve got so far, IE5 gives me about 24,000 extra pixels below the end of the content. What�s up with that?!?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 04:00 PM

teknik i can't get past your entry page in mozilla. And thanks to the stupid cancel view source javascript trickery I can't view source to see what link you're trying to take me to. I really fail to see why you're using that too, you're obviously not doing any cutting edge coding trickery so why bother hiding it?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 04:24 PM

i'll tell ya one thing though, get rid of
<title>Untitled Document</title>

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
teknik i can't get past your entry page in mozilla. And thanks to the stupid cancel view source javascript trickery I can't view source to see what link you're trying to take me to. I really fail to see why you're using that too, you're obviously not doing any cutting edge coding trickery so why bother hiding it?
I was editing the site right around the time you were on it. The enter button is a behavior from Dreamweaver that opens a 800x600 popup to the site. I've tried every browser (Opera, Safari, NS, IE) and they all work, both mac & pc. Maybe Mozilla just does function with that behavior.

Is my 'resume' unclear? Im graduating HS in June and will start college in October for a B.S in multimedia

bojangles
Senior User
Jan 3, 2004, 01:18 AM

Update:
I�ve cleaned up the XHTML and CSS a bit; my site is now officially fully compliant with XHTML 1.1 and CSS standards.
In other words, it�s completely unusable in Internet Explorer.

Any suggestions?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 07:43 PM

Why on earth would people bother trying to hide their source code? It is like people who try to prevent people from downloading images off of a site. It is a futile effort, impossible to do (with client side code), and goes against the entire principal of the web (sharing information).

If someone wants to d'l an image from your site, or view your client sided html, they can... trying to stop it is a PITA!

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Why on earth would people bother trying to hide their source code? It is like people who try to prevent people from downloading images off of a site. It is a futile effort, impossible to do (with client side code), and goes against the entire principal of the web (sharing information).

If someone wants to d'l an image from your site, or view your client sided html, they can... trying to stop it is a PITA!
Are you guys still referring to mine? I can view the source in every browser. Is anyone having problems entering the site?It opens a 800x600 window.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 11:15 PM

Hey teknik,

I was just thinking "out loud" as it were, as someone above had mentioned blocking the view source option.

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Hey teknik,

I was just thinking "out loud" as it were, as someone above had mentioned blocking the view source option.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:14 AM

teknik: yeah.

Some notes:
Antialiased pixel fonts look silly
I can't read your resume, there is too little contrast.
seanbotml;custom HTML engine
what the hell is that?^^^^
does the site really need to be in a popup?
clicking home opens up the same page that is underneath the popup? wuddupwiddat?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 12:15 AM

oh yeah, and you should probably consider putting what little client experience you have *in* your portfolio.

Forum Links
Forum Rules