Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung 19IN LCD 192T-Silver w Mac

Samsung 19IN LCD 192T-Silver w Mac
Spaceboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 03:37 PM

Hello all.

I've given up on the display updates, and am eyeing this.

Samsung 192T 19" 1280x1024 Silver/Blk Thin Frame

The specs look really good to me:

Image contrast ratio: 750:1
Image brightness: 250 cd/m2
and is: Digital video standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Anybody had any experience with these? It doesn't say mac compatible, but I"m assuming a dvi connection is a dvi connection. Is this not true? Just wondering, because I had some fool on customer support with 0 idea if it would work or not, and if it doesn't I'm sol, they say, because the dont' advertise it as mac compatible..

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.
i don't post much because i like to
watch, read, learn, contemplate the
many random e-thoughts on this MB.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2004, 03:58 PM

Head over to anandtech.com or tomshardware.com and check out the reviews. They put this model and a few other samsungs through the paces. I like to read their reviews because some of the published specs (such as response time) are very different thatn real life usage.

I really wanted a couplethree 172t's but they discontinued them and now have a 173t and 173x and they have some of the unsavory response times.

geekwagon
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 05:35 PM

I've got two of these (one at home, one at work.) Both are hooked up to 2GHz G5s via DVI. I also use one to display a PC via VGA. They both work great and I am very happy with them. One of them is about 1.5 years old and it is starting to yellow just a little bit (only noticeable next to the 23" LCD I have next to it..)

They start out kind of blueish, which seems to be normal for desktop TFTs.

Spaceboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
I've got two of these (one at home, one at work.) Both are hooked up to 2GHz G5s via DVI. I also use one to display a PC via VGA. They both work great and I am very happy with them. One of them is about 1.5 years old and it is starting to yellow just a little bit (only noticeable next to the 23" LCD I have next to it..)

They start out kind of blueish, which seems to be normal for desktop TFTs.
Thanks for the info..
i don't post much because i like to
watch, read, learn, contemplate the
many random e-thoughts on this MB.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 31, 2004, 11:14 PM

I set up a pair of 191T+ (which has identical specs on the flat panel, but a different base) displays for a client. We put a Radeon 9000 card in (it has 1 DVI and 1 ADC connector), and connected one display via DVI, and one through an ADC->DVI plug adapter. They both work beautifully. There's no reason the 192T shouldn't work just as effortlessly.

tooki

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 12:52 PM

I found the res 'low', 1600*1200 with 19" would be great.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 1, 2004, 01:17 PM

I'm trying to upgrade my work 193s to 191T or 192T. The 193s (which is VGA only), sucks royally, even for VGA. I have tried the 193s with two different ATI cards on my PC now and the result is the same. Text clarity is MUCH better on my old Samsung 950p CRT actually. Furthermore, my colleagues are also complaining about the same issues.

Text quality:

Samsung 950p CRT: 7.5 (VGA - both PowerColor Radeon 7000 and ATI Rage Pro)
Samsung 193s LCD: 5.0 (VGA - both PowerColor Radeon 7000 and ATI Rage Pro)
Samsung 172T LCD: 9.0 (VGA - Sapphire Radeon 7000 and Sapphire Radeon 9000)
Samsung 172T LCD: 10 (DVI - Sapphire Radeon 9000 and MSI GeForce4 MX)

By the way, I find 1280x1024 a very nice resolution for a 19" LCD screen. 1600x1200 would be too high a resolution. 85 dpi is a fairly low pixel density, but considering how far back one sits from a desktop LCD sometimes, it's quite reasonable. I find that 1280x1024 on my 172T a tad small sometimes. (It's different for a laptop though, since generally one sits closer to the screen.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules