Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > More on 5G24...

More on 5G24... (Page 3)
<Buon working>
Aug 19, 2001, 03:07 PM

Er, I meant to say, "I'm with ya, Norm!" Sorry for the wasted post. That'll teach me not to log in.

rok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2001, 04:09 PM

re: color labelling

okay, first of all, i don't have a recent build of os x.1 (though i wish i did), but, under 10.0.4, if you set the view options of a window in list mode, you have the option of revealing the "label" column. so it IS there, but you have to wonder if this was only done for backwards compatibility (i.e. if you get a file sent to you labelled under mac os 9, it needs to be able to retain that information SOMEwhere in case you send it back to them and they still want the label present).

i know that doesn't help much, but it's in there, somewhere...

V
Senior User
Aug 19, 2001, 04:13 PM

5G24 broke quake 3, it says : "Could not initialize OpenGL"

It worked in the others builds, it should be fixed in the next one.

tyris
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
<STRONG>I've been tinkering with 5G24 more this afternoon, and a couple of things have come to my attention so I thought I'd share. Hope you don't mind. First, here's what's been posted at my site since 8:40am today:

� The *original* iSub WORKS! Praise be, it�s finally thumping bass like it�s been itching to! However, there�s no control over the iSub�s independent volume (yet).

Maury</STRONG>
Has anyone else been able to confirm that the iSub does actually work now? I keep trying to search the boards here, and never get a results page, and no one else seems to have chimed in on this yet- at least not without saying "isub" for omniweb to find.

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2001, 06:19 PM

I'd also like confirmation that the iSub works.

Is there an option to type in user names in the login screen insted of choosing from a list?
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by graphiteman:
<STRONG>I'd also like confirmation that the iSub works.</STRONG>
Still on the main page, please try opening your eyes http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=007102

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2001, 07:06 PM

The volume on my friends 5G24 is not functioning correctly. He has the soundsticks and isub (combo). The pro keyboard sound keys activate the little transparent volume control...but it won't go below the 2 highest marks. The only way is to manually move it lower in the control panel or use the menu bar volume control.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
G4 Cube Owner :-)

<Tarbash>
Aug 19, 2001, 07:25 PM

In G24, how does Classic perform? Will any Classic apps break? Do you need 9.2? I'm running 10.0.4 with 9.1. Would I have any problems?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2001, 08:06 PM

Java WebStart is implemented? Absolutely sh't hot. This uses a protocol called JNLP so that you can start Java apps ala realplayer (you click on a link and the webstart app checks for updates if you enabled the option, downloads them and launches the app on your desktop). It is very cool because you don't need to make executable wrappers for java apps on your platform or start them from the command line. It also (on windows at least) provides a launcher bar similar to apples launcher in classic that automatically adds each new app that you start from the web. You can tell the apps to run strictly in the sandbox (i.e. no direct access to your platform, a concept foreign to M$) or give it full access to platform resources.

This will be a major boost for Java on the desktop.
weird wabbit

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2001, 08:21 PM

Classic on a 500mhz iMac DV SE w/ 640 Megs of RAM.

took 1 minute 5 seconds = 65 seconds.

This was even when adding a couple extensions...so its probably closer to 1 minute.

My Friend was running OS 9.2

AIM also almost boots...it allows you to logon but the Spinning Wheel of Death Comes when it tries to display the buddy list.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: wclarkson ]
G4 Cube Owner :-)

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2001, 08:25 PM

Ok, not much time in 5G24 but its up and running. Clean Install on blank drive.

Getting the spinning beach ball a lot more often now. Couple of times in the Finder and I had to Force Relaunch it. Also iTunes freezes up when I try to go into its Preferences. This Massinova player worked fine in 5F24. Now even with iTunes as default player, it opens the stream in Audion. And Audion 2.5, no menus work. They just flicker open and closed. Can't make any selections. Finder also won't remember my view settings.

Faster overall, too early to tell yet, but I'll check it out.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2001, 09:13 AM

Has anyone else been able to confirm that the iSub does actually work now?
I'd also like confirmation that the iSub works.
Good crap people -- I thought I'd just LIE and say the iSub works.

When someone "confirms" what I just said, will you want a confirmation of that confirmation? And then a confirmation of that confirmation's confirmation? Will you be satisfied with a confirmation of that confirmation's confirming of the first confirmation's confirmation?

Am I over reacting? Maybe.

So yeah, the iSub fraggin works or I wouldn't have said it. Or maybe I *am* lying.

I guess we need someone to confirm that I may or may not be lying, and then we need to get an uninterested third-party to come decide if they can confirm the confirmation of me lying or not -- and then we'll need *another* group to confirm whether or not the first group's statements can be confirmed reagarding the confirmation...

Good living crap.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2001, 09:35 AM

<STRONG>

When someone "confirms" what I just said, will you want a confirmation of that confirmation? And then a confirmation of that confirmation's confirmation? Will you be satisfied with a confirmation of that confirmation's confirming of the first confirmation's confirmation?

Good living crap.
</STRONG>
Maury, can you confirm or deny the existence of your iSub, mentioned above? For that matter, can you confirm the existence 5g24, or that you are in fact in possession of said seed? OK, sorry Maury, it's just been a long day where I am and you're response struck me as really funny.

graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2001, 09:51 AM

Well, it seems that the iSub issue has been resolved.

Does anyone know if you can opt to type in your username instead of choosing it from a list (like 10.0.x)?
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2001, 10:36 AM

<STRONG>Well, it seems that the iSub issue has been resolved.

Does anyone know if you can opt to type in your username instead of choosing it from a list (like 10.0.x)?</STRONG>
No, Apple has decided that the only way you will be able to login to Mac OS X will be by picking your name from a list. For example, a large University that sets up a public Mac OS X lab will have the students scroll through a list of tens of thousands of names to login. So, sorry, but there's no way to type in your name. They also make you pedal a small electric generator on any machine running OS X; Steve is very environment friendly and he's decided that 10.1 will require this.

CHRIST PEOPLE, get a grip!

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2001, 10:43 AM

<STRONG>Well, it seems that the iSub issue has been resolved.

Does anyone know if you can opt to type in your username instead of choosing it from a list (like 10.0.x)?</STRONG>
This was answered a month or so ago by someone at Apple. This was with an old 5dXX build I believe, but, it is probably the same with the 5gXX series. You just hit login without choosing any of the users and it will ask you for a username and password. There, you can go to console, etc.
Meh

Lerkfish
Aug 20, 2001, 10:47 AM

<STRONG>

Am I over reacting? Maybe.

So yeah, the iSub fraggin works or I wouldn't have said it. Or maybe I *am* lying.

I guess we need someone to confirm that I may or may not be lying, and then we need to get an uninterested third-party to come decide if they can confirm the confirmation of me lying or not -- and then we'll need *another* group to confirm whether or not the first group's statements can be confirmed reagarding the confirmation...

Good living crap.

Maury</STRONG>
I just wanted to add that this (very appropriate) response cracked me up!

It reminds me of another forum I used to frequent, when I would say I was able to such and such in OSX without problem people would accuse me of lying, until 3 or 4 other people chimed in supporting what I said. Then they would charge a conspiracy.

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 10:49 AM

The only feature that I really want is the ablity to change system font and size. The System font seems too big and bulky to me.

Tommo
Aug 21, 2001, 08:52 AM

'm not that easily impressed by PCs any more, but my portable VST FireWire CDR/RW drive just arrived (its tiny!), and I've now got my TiBook running, under OSX 10.1 5G24:

. 2 displays
. VPC running Windows ME for the MarketMakerstock trading software on the CRT
. Carracho Client downloading 4 x 600mb+ files at a total of 56k/sec
. Uploading a 550 mb file at 27k/sec
. itunes playing back a list of 30 tracks I just RIPped to MP3
. itunes simultaneously burning a CD of 14 tracks from that selection
. writing you this message in ie 5.1
. Playing back Cats & Dogs in Quicktime

There is a slight sluggishness when I switch between applications as it reads in the swap file, but once I've installed the 1gb RAM on the way that should disappear on the whole. I'm very impressed. There's no skipping in any app, except for the odd frame in quicktime.

cool! If this is where we stand now, the finished 10.1 should be just great. I've switched out of OS9 permanently as of this build.

.Tommo

Forum Links
Forum Rules