Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto error: Unreadable Files

iPhoto error: Unreadable Files
giggs11
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 01:44 PM

Alright, I inadvertently started this topic in the OS X forum, so I'm starting it again here (you'd think a mod could just move the thread rather than locking it outright, but whatever).

Ok, folks, newbie to Macs, OS X, and iPhoto, so bear with me. I have a Canon S45 digital camera and I would like to be able to upload my pictures from it to iPhoto. However, when I hook up my camera, it seems like a lot of the photos don't get uploaded and I get an error saying:

Unreadable Files: xx

The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data).

The "xx" seems to be a different number, usually 60 or 70-something, each time I attempt to do an upload (there are currently 154 pictures on the camera). The "unreadable files" are different and seemingly random each time I try to upload.

Now the thing is, when I hook it up to my Windows XP machine, the photo program I use on it, Picasa, downloads all the files properly. Do I need to do something to set up iPhoto differently? The memory in the camera is a 256 MB CompactFlash card.

Thanks for the help.

giggs11  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 01:48 PM

The two suggestions I had in the previous thread were:

*msuper69*

Maybe the USB port is going bad. Try another.
I will give that a shot, though I hope I don't already have a hardware problem.

*SS3 GokouX*

Try copying the photos off the camera from within the Finder and then drag them from the desktop into iPhoto.
Can I easily access the camera from within Finder? I guess OS X recognizes it as a "drive" then. I'll try that too.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 04:20 PM

Yeah it should show up just like any other removable drive. If you still get errors while trying to copy the files, then you'll at least know that it isn't iPhoto's fault.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by giggs11:
(you'd think a mod could just move the thread rather than locking it outright, but whatever).
That's tooki monster� for ya...

giggs11  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 08:41 PM

Ok, looks like the same thing is happening with both USB ports. Also, I don't see the camera listed in Finder when I plug it in. Do I need to do something to see it?

Thanks

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 10:10 PM

It should show up automatically, if it doesn't show up, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

ajbaker
Aug 4, 2004, 10:13 AM

Are the few unreadable 'photos' actually movies that you have taken with the camera? (Not familiar with that model so not sure if you can take movies.) I have the same error with my Sony Cybershot - each time iPhoto complains it turns out to be a movie.

giggs11  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2004, 10:31 AM

Ok, I think I figured it out. For whatever reason, my camera is going to sleep before all the files are transferred. My guess is that the camera initially sends a list of files, and that iPhoto checks them off the list as it receives them. But if the camera goes to sleep before all the photos are transferred, iPhoto won't receive some, and will label them as "unreadable". I'm not sure why the camera is doing this, as it was never a problem with my PC. Guess I'll have to see if I can adjust the sleep settings on the camera. If not, I'll just have to press a button every minute or so to keep it awake.

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 10:48 AM

My S30 does the exact same thing. You have to press a button from time to time in order for it to work.
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 11:05 AM

I use iphoto constantly. Try transferring photos from the card with a card reader instead of directly from the camera and see if that makes a difference. It does not make sense to me that you can transfer files to the pc and not to iphoto. I will have to think about that. Also make sure you have reformatted your card. Advice.. read about iphoto libraries and don't fool around with them or you can screw it up royally. It has a filing system that can drive you nuts!

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by giggs11:
Ok, looks like the same thing is happening with both USB ports. Also, I don't see the camera listed in Finder when I plug it in. Do I need to do something to see it?

Thanks
The best option I can see is to try to find a cheapo USB card reader, and copy them off that way... Although I didn't read your entire post, so if you've illiminated this option some how, I appologize...

Forum Links
Forum Rules