Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ports on the side or in the back?

Ports on the side or in the back?
David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 10:28 AM

Do you like your ports on the side with the new PowerBooks? Or did you like them when they were in the back, as with the previous enclosure PowerBooks, like the Titanium?

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
Do you like your ports on the side with the new PowerBooks? Or did you like them when they were in the back, as with the previous enclosure PowerBooks, like the Titanium?
I find the side to be a much easier place to get to, and reduces the amount of work I need to do to plug in stuff.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2004, 11:52 AM

If you leave your computer plugged in most of the time with a lot of devices connected, then having them in the back is nice, because it reduces clutter. But I think in general it is better to have them on the side.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 12:47 PM

i prefer them on the sides. i like the current screen hinge design, and with it i do not see any way how the ports could be at the back.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 01:34 PM

I take my computer with me to class/work almost every day and have to plug and unplug two USB cords, two firewire cords, audio cord, power cord, ethernet cord and security cable. These cables can be somewhat unsightly coming out of the sides of my computer, but they are quick and easy to plug in. The one thing that I dislike about the bottom-hinged design, is that the screen can't be tilted back as far as with the top hinge design. There are times when I'm lounging in my chair with my legs up and I want to be able to tilt the screen back, but the bottom hinge restricts movement. My only complaint.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 01:35 PM

I like mine on the side, I can't see the back of the computer.
Mr. CaN

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 19, 2004, 03:24 PM

Definitely side, even though I use my 12" mainly as a desktop replacement. I'm not sure how I'd like the bigger AlPBs, with leads coming out of both sides though...

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 03:29 PM

personally i like them on the side...even if the laptop sits on your desk for the majority of the time you can still just plug/unplug whenever it's nessecary.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2004, 03:49 PM

On the side, but I'd like to be able to get something like Firewire and USB cables with 90 degree angles ...

Funnily enought the PBG4 17" and 15" are more comfortable for left handed people, because all the "ugly" ports are on the right side, so Mouse-space on the left is better ;-)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
Funnily enought the PBG4 17" and 15" are more comfortable for left handed people, because all the "ugly" ports are on the right side, so Mouse-space on the left is better ;-)
So true !!! the firewire cord eats too much space on my desk

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 05:02 PM

the wires jutting out the sides clutters my desk right where I want to place a book or something...

the back is not _that_ hard to get to... for real...
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 06:44 PM

Ultimately I prefer the back as far as looks go, but I have to connect at least four cables every time I connect my computer, so I'm not likely to want them on the back...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 07:12 PM

mixed feelings...
i like not seeing them (so, the back)
but i like the accessibility on the side,
and i like the lid design on the new books.

ultimately, it's up to apple, anyway.

what i DO want: more cordless.
ie usb & firewire wireless!
(already moved to a bluetooth mouse, and airport express)

went from 8 cables to 3...& ac
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 07:13 PM

I think on the side is fine for portability and the occasional thing being plugged in.

Though the powerbook lacks one big port I wish it had. A docking connector. I'd much prefer to just plop my Powerbook down at home and work onto a dock and not worry about any cables. Build a power supply into the dock using a normal IEC power cable so I can even leave the power brick in the bag for portable travel.

If they put the dock port on the bottom center of all three models, they could even get away with just one dock for all three current Powerbook designs.
<This space under renovation>

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:03 PM

the dock doesnt sound like a bad idea, and considering it's apple, it'd be stylish too .. but i'd be afraid of scratching the bottom in a mis aligned connection

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 11:24 PM

side. easier to disconnect when i'm on the move, which happens at least once a day every day. and i only have 2 cables: usb (to hub) and power.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
I think on the side is fine for portability and the occasional thing being plugged in.

Though the powerbook lacks one big port I wish it had. A docking connector. I'd much prefer to just plop my Powerbook down at home and work onto a dock and not worry about any cables. Build a power supply into the dock using a normal IEC power cable so I can even leave the power brick in the bag for portable travel.

If they put the dock port on the bottom center of all three models, they could even get away with just one dock for all three current Powerbook designs.
what you want is a duo remake. And I have to say it would be sweet.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 12:59 PM

There is a fine doc the the TiPB, works great with the ports on the back.

But the hinge design on the TiPB is a critical flaw -- right now, the current design is MUCH better, precluding ports on the back.

And I agree -- this is a lefty's machine. I have a monitor, ethernet, usb, and often a firewire connector on the right, just a power cord connected on the left. Can be annoying.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:
There is a fine doc the the TiPB, works great with the ports on the back.

But the hinge design on the TiPB is a critical flaw -- right now, the current design is MUCH better, precluding ports on the back.

And I agree -- this is a lefty's machine. I have a monitor, ethernet, usb, and often a firewire connector on the right, just a power cord connected on the left. Can be annoying.

funny, as a lefty in a right-hand-oriented world, i taught myself to use the mouse on the right..

which is the way-to-go with my 12" powerbook (with all ports on the left)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 05:18 PM

funny, as a lefty in a right-hand-oriented world, i taught myself to use the mouse on the right.
Me too. I was shocked when I discovered that left-handed keyboards exist. That's just taking things too far.

We need left-handed circular- and chainsaws. A right-handed mouse never killed or maimed anyone.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 05:57 PM

side, i like the current hinge design

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

GoCats
Sep 20, 2004, 08:24 PM

Personally I like the ports to be on the back, and on the left side (being right handed, and self-centered, left-sided ports work better for me.). The problem with the ports on the left is that it makes it difficult to use the mouse/trackball in close proximity to the powerbok. I HATE having to reach for my trackball... plus, I work on the couch using a lapdesk, so there just isn't enough room to use the ports on the right. It's actually very frustrating.

Originally posted by David Hagan:

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 09:49 PM

I likw mine in the back. So far thats all I have delt with. As far as using my G-3 on my desk top, slides right in the my book-ends docking station.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
I like mine in the back. So far thats all I have delt with.
Ditto, but what about the front? That could be cool...

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Toutgood:
Ditto, but what about the front? That could be cool...
why would you want wires coming right at you?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 11:13 PM

some of us don't have a little thing called taste.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2004, 03:06 AM

Side-mounted ports are great!

They allow the nice hinge design Apple uses on the Al PBs and at the same time the ports are very easily accessed. The only problem is that all the ports should be on one side only (except for maybe an additional USB port on the other side) to avoid a mess when you use the PowerBook as a desktop replacement and have cables attached to all ports.

The 12" PowerBook is perfect in this sense!

Apart from this I think Apple should put a proprietary connector on the bottom of the PowerBooks (hidden behind a latch maybe for safety and style) that would allow users to place the PowerBook on a docking station. Think PowerBook Duo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules