Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installed new HD but need to access old HD via Firewire

Installed new HD but need to access old HD via Firewire
nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2004, 02:36 PM

Hi, I hope that I posted this in the correct area as it's kinda a software issue and a hardware one also. Anyways I have an iBook SE 466MHZ 576MB OS 10.3.6 with a new 60GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache that I installed a few months ago. Yeah, I did it myself and yeah it was nerve racking! I removed the original & working 10GB and put it into an external firewire case to use at a later date if needed. Well, even though it will mount on the desktop I cannot access any files etc. I remember that I turned off any sharing a long time ago as I didn't have a need for it at the time. I decided to boot from the old drive using the target disc mode which I attempted to do and all I got was the firewire logo flashing on the screen and that's it. Looking back on it tough I did recall that it has both OS 9.2.2 & 10.2.8 installed and I do remember my old password. What did I do wrong? I have a similar problem yet to overcome on my girlfriend's iMac as I'm going to replace her original 10GB HD with much faster 120GB one in a couple of weeks and upgrade her to 10.3.6 and iLife '04. I would like to transfer her pictures, safari bookmarks old email etc.
Would it be possible on the iMac to burn a CD with that info? Thanx for any and help and advise you guys and gals can offer!

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 11:48 PM

Did you use any kind of encryption software on the disk? Firewire target disk mode is not used for booting the system from a firewire device, rather it is for using the system drive as a stand alone firewire hd. Try Command-Shift-Option-Delete to boot from the firewire drive or hold option to get the boot manager. Did you try the drive in another Mac? Yeah, it would be possibe to burn a CD with the stuff you want from the iMac. There is some software that does it automatic, but I can't remember what it's called.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 10:17 AM

1) If the 10gig drive mounts on the desktop you should be able to read and write to the drive. Try hooking it into your woman's imac and see if it works there.

2) Starting the laptop in target disk mode does not mean it will boot from an external drive if it is connected. You need to go into your computer preferences when your external drive is connected and set the startup disk to be that 10gig drive and not the internal one.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

nebulousforce  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by swichd:
1) Did you use any kind of encryption software on the disk?
Answer: No, not at all.
2) Firewire target disk mode is not used for booting the system from a firewire device, rather it is for using the system drive as a stand alone firewire hd. Try Command-Shift-Option-Delete to boot from the firewire drive or hold option to get the boot manager.
Answer: Oh, OK I'll try that, thanx!
3) Did you try the drive in another Mac?
Answer: No, but I will tonight as I have the iMac here to do the upgrades to it later on.
4) Yeah, it would be possibe to burn a CD with the stuff you want from the iMac. There is some software that does it automatic, but I can't remember what it's called.
Answer: Maybe it's Carbon Copy Cloner, perhaps?
Thanks for the tips and I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to respond as I thought I set this thread up to notify me when I get a reply.

nebulousforce  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

1) If the 10gig drive mounts on the desktop you should be able to read and write to the drive. Try hooking it into your woman's imac and see if it works there.
Answer: It does mount but it appears to be locked or unaccessible and I didn't use Fire Vault. I'll try again on the iMac and see what happens.

2) Starting the laptop in target disk mode does not mean it will boot from an external drive if it is connected. You need to go into your computer preferences when your external drive is connected and set the startup disk to be that 10gig drive and not the internal one.
Answer:OIC, DOE! Thanx!

Forum Links
Forum Rules