Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Casio has USB MP3 watch - but not for Mac users!

Casio has USB MP3 watch - but not for Mac users!
squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2000, 04:00 PM

Casio has announced the WMP-1V MP3 wristwatch. It is USB-interfaced - but not for Mac users. Why? It would seem so damn easy to provide that for the earliest adopters of and most-established user group of USB technology.

The original product review I saw was here: http://www.digitalmass.com/news/dail...mp3_watch.html

The Casio PR is here with an email link at the top of the page (hint, hint - make your Mac-user voice heard!): http://www.casio.com/corporate/index.cfm?act=10&ID=738

[This message has been edited by squareman (edited 06-15-2000).]

Will Henderson
Jun 15, 2000, 06:01 PM

This MP3 player sucks anyway. I just recieved my Rio 600......

Mac Doctor
Jun 15, 2000, 07:23 PM

It looks like a Manifold Pressure Gauge from a Kenworth! Forget the watch, build us an MP3 player for our cars that links to our laptops for downloading--- or better yet, one that downloads from a wireless receiver in the car!!! Oooh yeah, and add voice mail to that order too......
Yikes!

Helen
Jun 15, 2000, 08:50 PM

Not only do I want the MP3 player USB ported over, but I want the regular programmable watch ported as well.

Helen
Jun 15, 2000, 09:06 PM

Not only do I want the MP3 player USB ported over, but I want the regular programmable watch ported as well.

floop
Jun 16, 2000, 12:42 AM

I coveted the watch and even sold some stuff on ebay in order to buy it before noticing it was not mac compatible. No watch for me. One less sale for them.

jimmyq
Jun 16, 2000, 08:07 AM

I sent the following email to Casio - I urge everyone to follow suit with a polite email to [email protected] :

Subject : Casio WMP-1V MP3 Wristwatch

Dear Sir,

I was quite disappointed to see that this product does not apparently support downloads from a Macintosh computer or a PC running the Linux operating system. As a musician who uses Macintosh computers to digitally mix my original music, I will not be able to consider a purchase of this otherwise handy device. I can't think of a more convenient way to bring my music to a promoter over dinner than by laying my Casio watch in front of him/her to play one of my songs. Without Macintosh support however, this will not be possible for me.

Macintosh sales to the general public have increased exponentially with the release of the iMac and iBook computers a couple of years ago. In addition, the proliferation of the Linux OS for PC *and* Macintosh is giving people real options that they have never really had before. A cool MP3 watch that doesn't support a Mac or Linux certainly will not prevent the purchase of a new Macintosh computer or a new Linux installation, but it will certainly prevent Macintosh and Linux users from considering the purchase of this otherwise wonderful offering from Casio.

I sincerely hope the Casio Company will reconsider this position.

Best reagrds,

- Jim -

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2000, 03:25 PM

It says in that article that it takes a 4 minute song, 70 seconds to download into the watch. My Rio only takes about 5 seconds. Shoot, I can download a song off the internet with my cable modem in about 15 seconds. and only 32MB! for $250!

Looks geeky anyway... I wouldn't be caught dead with that retarded looking thing on my wrist with head phones connected to it. The PC geeks can have that one...

[This message has been edited by blizaine (edited 06-16-2000).]

Me!
Jun 17, 2000, 06:48 PM

VirtualPC supports USB devices so you should beable to use that to transfer stuff over.

dudehey
Jun 17, 2000, 07:17 PM

Click here for the first CD-Based Mp3 Player. This is not supposed to be an add, but I was going to tell you all about this anyway, it's the coolest thing I've seen regarding portable mp3s. It uses a cd which will cost you less then one dollar and one cd will hold 150+ songs...that's over 10 hours of music on one cd, and it's of course compatable with Macs, linux, windoze, any thing that can burn a iso 9660 format cd. It uses only 2 AA batteries, it has a car adaptor and it can recharge batteries while playing. It is also, only 115 dollars + shipping. I do not work for this company but I must say I think this is a GREAT product, why buy those expensive media card based mp3 players, and media sticks or whatever that hold only and hour or two of music at outrageous costs, this holds 10 hours on each cd. It also has 50 second anti-skip and a 500 second memo recording ability.

bizzare
Jun 17, 2000, 11:55 PM

DUDE!!!! That CD-R Mp3 Player is what I've been looking for!!! I just ordered one (talk about cheap, $115). Highly recommend this one!

------------------
-Bizzare

Specs: PowerBook (Firewire), 500 mHz, 256 MB RAM, 18 GB HD, AirPort, OS 9.0.4

Holland Jim
Jun 18, 2000, 04:14 AM

Since the page doesn't return from the server, how'zabout telling us the manufacturer or their real web address, instead of the connected link.

Non-working URL: http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...2/t.asp?id=241

Sounds a little sketchy right now, dude...

bizzare
Jun 18, 2000, 06:53 AM

Here's The Real Address:
http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/pro...3_discman.html

Here's A Review Of It From ZDTV's Fresh Gear:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/freshgear/...559255,00.html

And Here's A Picture Of It:

------------------
-Bizzare

[This message has been edited by bizzare (edited 06-18-2000).]

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2000, 09:24 AM

My brother got an MP3/CD player for $15 less at http://www.computergeeks.com/mp3/portable/default.asp

MP3.com rated this one five stars at http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/ind...able/2715.html

I believe they are both the same OEM, because they have the same features.

Also, dudehey should get that refferal link out of there before wlonh gets really angry at him...

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

dudehey
Jun 18, 2000, 09:37 AM

Hehe, Well what can I say, I tried. Really didn't plan on haveing the affiliate thing there, but once Iwas about to put the url to the place I said to myself, what's the harm, little did i know this place would pick an affiliate program that would have their servers go down. oh well, everything else the same, sounds like a great product to me =)

bizzare
Jun 19, 2000, 06:51 PM

Well I Got A Responce From Casio:

Thank you for your input, this matter is being addressed.

Michael O'Keefe
Product Trainer
CASIO http://www.casio.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 6:01 AM
To: PHT21
Subject: FW: Macintosh Compatible WMP-1V Wrist Audio Player

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 10:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Macintosh Compatible WMP-1V Wrist Audio Player

Hi I was wondering if there are plans to release a Macintosh version of your
WMP-1V Wrist Audio Player? MP3 players have been very popular for the
Macintosh platform. I know many groups of people who would be interested in
purchasing the WMP-1V Wrist Audio Player, if it were compatible with
Macintoshes (iMac, PowerMac, PowerBook, iBook) all of which have USB ports.

Thanks

------------------
-Bizzare

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2000, 11:31 PM

Forget it, I've seen Casios mp3 watches up close, and they are really tacky.
Look for Nikes new mp3 players which you can wear on the top of your arm. Most likely to be fully shock/water proof with a cool industrial design. Lets just hope they don't skimp on features.

squareman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2000, 11:47 AM

Big Mark:
Look for Nikes new mp3 players which you can wear on the top of your arm. Most likely to be fully shock/water proof with a cool industrial design. Lets just hope they don't skimp on features.

Mark, more importantly, let's hope it's Mac-compatible.

[This message has been edited by squareman (edited 06-20-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules