Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Back in Black (PB)

Back in Black (PB)
Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 04:07 AM

I just noticed that Dell has officially turned all of their notebook products into a silver-based line. What's next for Apple's PB G5? Could AAPL follow AC/DC's foot steps?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2004, 04:11 AM

One, I still think it's going to a long time before we see the PB G5s.

Second, it would make sense that Apple change something on it to separate it from the G4 line.

Third, other threads on this (older but still good) on what form factor a new PB might take.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nate_02
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
I just noticed that Dell has officially turned all of their notebook products into a silver-based line. What's next for Apple's PB G5? Could AAPL follow AC/DC's foot steps?
It seems as though Apple usually sets the trends for how electronics look, they usually don't follow another trend.
-nate

Paul Huang  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 01:11 PM

Of course, Apple sets the trend as far as four years in advance. Just look at 802.11b. Michael Dell had the audacity to claim that Dell was the first computer maker to include 802.11b in notebook computers. He was almost booed off the stage.

"Back in Black" is a song by AC/DC from 25 years ago. Obviously you didn't get the punch line.

It seems as though Apple usually sets the trends for how electronics look, they usually don't follow another trend.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2004, 05:12 AM

I'd personally love to see some nice anodized aluminum enclosures. Maybe a gunmetal or matte black... I even think that they could pull off colors, but on a pro level machine, that's probably not in the marketing stratagy...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Paul Huang  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

Apple is not always about function. Just look at the iPod with full of finger prints. I first thought that shiny black may not be durable, but then so is the scratch-prone iBook. Wait a minute. Look at the iMac G5. Try to plug in a USB drive and see it spin. One shouldn't have to use two or three hands just to plug or unplug a USB drive.

Steve Jobs likes black. Heck, he even bought an IBM T-series ThinkPad for her just before the Titanium was to be released.

More unsightly scratches = more owners buying new computers. Why not make it like cars: buy a new one just becuase the old one has scratches and dents in it? Windows users dump old ones because the old ones is infested with viruses and worms. The Macintosh does not have that advantage, so scratches and dents as excuses for a new computer replacement every two years ain't so bad.

Originally posted by wuzup101:
I'd personally love to see some nice anodized aluminum enclosures. Maybe a gunmetal or matte black... I even think that they could pull off colors, but on a pro level machine, that's probably not in the marketing stratagy...

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
"Back in Black" is a song by AC/DC from 25 years ago.
Wow, I feel old.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

69camaro
Dec 28, 2004, 11:39 PM

I'm liking the thought of a Carbon Fiber enclosure.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by 69camaro:
I'm liking the thought of a Carbon Fiber enclosure.
MMMM Carbon Fiber... ME TOO!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 11:10 PM

carbon fiber, brought to you by sony.

who cares what it comes out as, as long as it looks nice. dell going all silver .. lol, i dunno if it's influenced by apple, but i remember those greyish black tacky plastic enclosures they use to offer... still see 'em a lot on campus ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 01:33 AM

I'd like to see the iBook take on the iPod mini look on a bigger scale.

Forum Links
Forum Rules