Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Syquest EZ-Flyer 230

Syquest EZ-Flyer 230
rmansfield
Apr 7, 2002, 01:41 PM

I am trying to install a Syquest EZ-Flyer 230 on an older Mac, but am having some difficulties. All the documentation says that I need LaCie Silverlining LiteSQ �-� 2.2.2, which is on the utilities disk, which of course I can't read. Anyone have a copy of this software? It is not available at the Lacie site or the Syquest site.

buchrob
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 11:28 PM

EZ Flyer actually did much better WITHOUT the Silverlining Software. If you have a problem seeing the drive it's probably a SCSI ID problem. As I recall, these were shipped from the factory set up for SCSI ID 4, but you could change the ID by holding down the power switch for a specific number of beeps during bootup.

Your problem could be caused by a drive set up for SCSI 3 (conflicting with the internal CD ROM), 5 (the usual address of an internal Zip in an older system) or just plain bad drive. These drives also tended not to play nice with other devices on the chain.

Get a hold of SCSI Probe, disconnect any other external SCSI devices and see if the drive shows up at all.

rmansfield  (op)
Apr 7, 2002, 11:35 PM

I've tried changing the the SCSI ID, and the computer still doesn't see the drive. That's why I need the silverlining software. It's kind of a last shot attempt.

buchrob
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 11:49 PM

Well let's then talk about termination (not you, but the drive).

I am working from memory here, but there was probably a termination on/off dipswitch.

I realize that the computer at this point does not see the drive at all. But what if everything is powered on and you insert a cartridge. Does the drive spin up, flash the 2nd light and then leave it illuminated even though the OS doesn't see the cartridge?

And what sort of older mac are your working on? Some were flaky in the termination department, especially the FX.

rmansfield  (op)
Apr 8, 2002, 12:21 AM

There is no termination switch, but since there is a SCSI out, I could probably plug it with a termination device (although I do not have one).

I can put in disk and the second light slightly flickers every once in a while, but does not have the rapid flashing that is supposed to take place as the disk is being read.

This is a Color Classic that normally works with a SCSI Zip drive and a SCSI CDROM that I usually keep plugged in. I have had them unplugged while trying to get the Syquest drive to work.

buchrob
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2002, 12:47 AM

I forgot that these drives had software termination. Try doing the following cable sequence: Mac Classic -> EZ -> Zip with termination ON at the Zip (presuming you have the proper cables). The EZ 230's don't like being at the end of the chain.

The EZ drive itself (unconnected to anything) should at least recognize the cartridge when power is applied and the disk is inserted. If not, then the drive or cartridge are bad.

rmansfield  (op)
Apr 8, 2002, 10:12 PM

I tried your last suggestion, but it still didn't work. It may actually be bad, but before I give up, I hope I can find an older copy of the silverlinging software as a last resort.

Forum Links
Forum Rules