Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 fan noise

iMac G5 fan noise
Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 07:13 PM

For those of you who have had their iMac G5 for a while, how has the fan noise increased/decreased from when you first bought it?

marc
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 08:15 AM

Mine started quiet and is still quiet. My old G3 iMac sounds like a vacuum cleaner in comparison. There are some programs, like Solitaire Forever, which either don't manage power or resources well. Then the processor goes to 100% and the fans spin to max. Aside from that program, I usually have several programs running at once without any fan noise at all. I am very happy with this machine (17" iMac 1.6 with 1 GB of RAM). HTH

Stecchino  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the input, marc. That's exactly the machine I'm getting except mine has a tad less RAM. I know you can change performance settings for the G5 from "Default" to "Highest" or something like that and I've heard that can make the blowers spin up more frequently.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I could tolerate it pretty well if it's noisy when I'm burning a CD or editing movies, etc, just as long as it's not randomly spinning up and down while watching a movie or listening to music.

Forum Links
Forum Rules